Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sefragirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

Hi I am so confused. I don't know if I am simply looking to excuse his behavior or if this is a real possibility! Please any opinions or advice would be great. I love my husband we have 2 children and a nice life. However there are many problems. Here I go...

He can not lift a finger around the housevor with the kids and the odd time he does he expects thanks and applause

He obsessed about money and finances although we have no problems there

He is constantly making " lists"

He is selfish and only worries about his own happiness

Shows no empathy for anyone

Can be social with some people but is generally completely antisocial

Cannot sit still... If he stops he sleeps

Simply cannot understand how to be supportive

Doesn't talk things out he closes up when I try

I notice he sometimes says the right thing or will hug me if I'm upset but there seems to be no actual feeling or understanding behind simply doing what he knows is expected. He was diagnosed with depression but I think this is a misdiagnosis. There r many other things I could list but these are the first that come to mind. I am sick of feeling unloved and making excuses for him to family and friends. Am I off base? I will support him through everything but I truly believe that I may be right here. Input? Thanks!! !

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 5:44 pm

Wrongplanet is neither a medical nor psychological resource service. Your best option is to consult your physician or a psychology-care professional (ie, Psychiatrist, psychologist, psychoanalyst, et cetera).

Any "diagnosis" of your husband's state of mind from any member of this community would only be an unprofessional opinion, and would likely mislead you or cause you to seek help from the wrong people - unless, of course, one of the members replying to your post identifies him- or her-self as a degreed and licensed mental health-care professional.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
unless, of course, one of the members replying to your post identifies him- or her-self as a degreed and licensed mental health-care professional.

Even that wouldn't be much good. The information is second hand. A professional would need to see and hear the person first hand. It would be very unprofessional to make any kind of assessment through an anonymous internet forum.

But to the OP I would say that depression can cause many of the symptoms you listed and can be common in people with Aspergers. Ask yourself has he always been this way or has he changed over time?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:20 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Fnord wrote:
unless, of course, one of the members replying to your post identifies him- or her-self as a degreed and licensed mental health-care professional.

Even that wouldn't be much good. The information is second hand. A professional would need to see and hear the person first hand. It would be very unprofessional to make any kind of assessment through an anonymous internet forum.

Good point - I'm glad you mentioned it.
nemorosa wrote:
But to the OP I would say that depression can cause many of the symptoms you listed and can be common in people with Aspergers. Ask yourself has he always been this way or has he changed over time?

Hassles at work and from his relatives may also contribute ... a professional evaluation, in person, is necessary for an accurate diagnosis.