Page 6 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2011, 6:12 pm

Christian here. First off, I didn't go to church much as a teen b/c my dad is protestant and is having a hard time finding a church that he's comfortable in. But hen I was a kid, we would go to a baptist church. A) b/c my mom was raised baptist and B) b/c that church had some really nice folks and my dad seemed very comfortable there. We moved to Florida when my dad was stationed there through the Air Force and that meant we had to find another church, we ended up going to a Calvary Chapel in Gulf Breeze. We liked this church a lot and I was baptized through there at 8 years old. However, some things in my life got in the way of my walk with God (My parents' divorce, my obsession with trying to please my father, the stress of being bullied for having AS, Wanting to have a good relationship with my sister, Getting pressured into getting sterilized when in reality, that was not what God had in the cards for me. Buying food with my food stamps that my father and brother ended up eating while I was on vacation in Arkansas.)
So I was rebaptized at age 21 on New years day.
I think the concept of religion is very complex to folks with AS as we sometimes don't understand certain things about that belief. I for one when I was looking for churches when I first moved into my own place stumbled upon this Episcopal church in the area and even though I visited one in High School back when I was volunteering at the Alzeimer's Center and the patients wanted to attend services, I didn't feel comfortable in that enviroment b/c You were in a small room with lots of people saying stuff back to the priest (to me it sounds like chanting but I really shouldn't say that since my stepmom is catholic)
But whenever I visited my grandparents in Arkansas, We went to their church (church of christ) and I felt very comfortable there.
So now I attend the Church of Christ in my town.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 6:25 pm

I'm a Buddhist. That's the religion for chilled out people who like to sit down a lot.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 6:47 pm

I believe in faith but its my own set of rules and beliefs, religion I feel is a personal choice but if you don't understand it you can't make a choice. I was brought up a catholic and so are my children, I am not a regular church goer but my children have an understanding and then I think can make a choice for themselves.

I have a very strong faith I think its what gets me through difficult times.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 8:58 pm

I have tried all religion, if i can even say it like that? sounds weird..
but i concluded that none made me feel better and i can't commit myself to something i can't find any evidence about.
If proof comes i'll for sure step over to a religion.
I also seem to find all religions so labeled.. stupid and life controlling, like you gotta make your religion your life path.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 9:12 pm

ok most of you don't believe, what would you say a car you are travelling in just about to hit the wall and you are going to die. Who would you call out to! be honest :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 9:15 pm

Annmaria wrote:
ok most of you don't believe, what would you say a car you are travelling in just about to hit the wall and you are going to die. Who would you call out to! be honest :lol:

Who?

Get Real!

I'm more likely to call out a word that has less to do with "Divinity", and more to do with either copulation and/or defecation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 10:32 pm

Annmaria wrote:

i wouldn't scream for anything :P i would make an attempt to save myself.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Deuterium
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

Annmaria wrote:

Probably any number of four letter words? Or perhaps the name of the person driving. Why would I call out anyone else's name? Do you honestly believe shouting "Jesus!", "God!", "Muhammad!" or "Allah!" makes any more sense than shouting the name of your favorite icecream flavor, to someone who ascribes to no religion? Please think things through before you make a smug remark that you somehow expect to enlighten others of their true feelings, as it only damages your case, resulting in the exact opposite of the effect you intended.