Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 3:33 pm

I get mood swings related to my schizophrenia. When I am on a high mood swing, my Dad said that my Asperger's presents as being the "active but odd" type (as in going and talking to people, but being observed as strange in the NT view). When I am on a low mood swing, I isolate myself away from people, I don't talk unless absolutely necessary, etc.

I want to be consistent. I hate these mood swings. I would prefer to keep to myself for most of the time and not get the highs so badly (the lows are less disabling and less exhausting).

Can anyone suggest anything?

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2013, 4:04 pm

What comes to mind is that you need to have a better understanding and acceptance of your condition, and a therapist, counsellor or psychologist that can work with you to help you find a happy and sustainable equilibrium. You will always have mood swings, that's a normal state for all, whether on the spectrum or not, it's like the tide, it has to go in and out, it can't just stay where it is.
I find regular exercise, watching my diet, and trying to occupy my mind helps, along with reducing stimulation at night as it approaches time to sleep. Reading a book for half an hour to an hour really helps.
I'd say be less worried about the mood swings, as you'll set yourself off on an obsessive vicious cycle that will perpetuate this problem, work on the things you can on your own, and have a therapist or counsellor assist; sort of like having a coach or manager to keep an eye on you and help you stay focussed and keep things in perspective.
Don't be too worried about what your Dad says, what you need is someone impartial to observe and assist, as the view of family members is always tainted by experience, expectations, and emotions.
There is nothing wrong with having some alone time, or even with being a loner, so long at it's what you actually want, rather than you driving people away that want to help.
What I'm trying to say is, managing your life, whether on the spectrum or not is a delicate balancing, act, and it looks like a little help for you will go a long way into making your life more bearable in the future.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 4:14 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice. I have a psychologist so I will discuss this with him. Naturally I am a loner, but my mood swings disrupt my natural state. I am on antipsychotics for schizophrenia, but for some reason they do not control my mood swings. I like to spend lots of time on my own reading textbooks / playing computer games / exercising alone.