Does everybody go silent when you're around?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

18 Aug 2011, 12:19 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
swbluto wrote:
I noticed that whenever a small-to-medium sized group of 'normal people' (Let's say, less than 10) are gathered and they're chit-chatting away and I enter the room, the room suddenly goes quiet and everybody is observing every move I make. It doesn't particularly bother me at the time it happens, but I kind of wonder if this happens to other aspies because I swear this never happens when someone else enters the room. I intuitively know that it's an "An outsider is in our midst" reaction and I think it's kind of annoying.

I wouldn't have pegged you for that type of guy, the kind that stuns everyone into silence. Are you sure they aren't talking about you? Are these people you know, aquaintances or strangers?

Most the time it's me who goes silent in a room full of people. They tend to ignore me.

They know me and it's possible they were talking about me. I guess I have somewhat high social status considering my employer/entrepreneur role, so the likelihood they were talking about me might've been somewhat high. And, oh yeah, I'm aware of the social affects of body language and I've practiced my body language, so the confident swagger motif might've had something to do with it, lol.

It's hard to believe people talk about me, though. I like to think I'm an unknown ghost to everyone but I suppose I stand out in a few particular ways.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2011, 4:49 am

y-pod wrote:
I don't notice that. I seem to be rather invisible and easily ignored.

Same here. And If I'm talking to someone at work, and someone else more interesting comes around, I'm dropped so quickly its not funny.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

no, it doesn't happen to me (it did used to happen around the group of bullies/popular kids in jr. high school, but not since then). these days people seem rather keen on including me in spite of the fact i often avoid them or flake out and cancel plans with them. i don't keep long-term friends too well, but i do fairly well with medium-large groups of acquaintances and coworkers.