Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

Hi

I teach English as a foriegn language and this is going to be my first posting abroad, to China.

I am really worried as when I do or go somewhere new, it is like a stuck record in my head shouting 'want to go home, want to go home...'

It is only for 4/5 months so the question probably sounds stupid, I really want to just get on with it.

I need to do this, firstly to get a job where I can earn some proper money and secondly so I can say I have done it.

Has anyone got any tips on how to deal with this?

Thanks

monna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2011, 9:20 pm

hi !
i travel loads because of my job - the gigs are usually 3 - 8 weeks a piece. what i've noticed helps, is trying keep routines and simulate your normal environment: having the same music you'd have home and similar smells (mine are girly candles because i couldn't come up with anything else...) for example. if i have an apartment, i try to buy groceries, which are as close to the ones i'd have home as well - pretty much always the same things.
what also helps i've noticed, is that as i watch my tv series on the web anyway, it doesn't really matter where i am at all - it feels exactly the same and creates a feeling of continuity. i don't know if you facebook or watch stuff on youtube - if so, you'll have to find a way around the new great wall of china. there are several sites which let you hide your ip address.
i guess what i'm trying to say is that it probably would help to have a think about what makes you feel safe at home and try to recreate central pieces of it abroad. doing china as a first step is of course rather tricky, but i'm sure you'll come up with something !

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

Hi

Thanks, your ideas are really good. Especially taking things that smell like home!

I have decided to postpone the contract and see if there are any meds I can take so that the panic doesn't reach rock bottom. Hopefully in Jan I will be able to try again.

Thanks so much again. Have copied the ideas and added them to my packing list!

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2011, 6:46 am

I spent over a year abroad as part of my degree, in 3 different countries, so had to do this 3 times.

Things that helped me:
- having somewhere to live before I got there
- looking at pictures/maps/videos of the place I would be going to
- taking my teddy/photos/blanket to remind me of home
- getting a local mobile phone to stay in contact with family
- finding something to keep me occupied- I took up photography and must have taken about 5000 photos that year!
- email/skype people at home who you know will help you rather than making you homesick
- as soon as you get there, find a "safe" place where you feel comfortable should panic arise so you know where to go.
- if you're teaching, there's likely to be at least 1 other English-speaking person, so try as hard as possible to get to know them
- remember you're not there forever

Hope some of these help!