Your
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2008, 6:10 am

it won't look at me

only interested in getting its dinner

doesn't respond to its name

can't read my facial expressions..

this is really serious, can some one please offer a solution?

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 6:32 am

Some cats are affectionate; others are snooty. They will also pick a favourite human out of everyone in their household, and ignore all the others. This is normal cat behaviour.

Your best bet is to pretend that you're completely uninterested in your cat. Continue to feed and look after it, of course, but pay no attention to it at all. It may then wonder why you are being so aloof, and check you out to see why. :)

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 6:39 am

They certainly vary. My new kitty looks at faces, whereas my old cats did not. I see he also moves his eyes around. The other cats would just turn their heads.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 7:14 am

To be the bearer of bad news, it'll suffer this affliction its whole life; best to put it down now, for its happiness and yours.

Rossi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2008, 7:25 am

I remember somebody saying "cats are autistic dogs", and I think that describes cats pretty well :lol:

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 7:52 am

All cats have Aspeger's in some way, whether they are nice Aspie traits or not. :)

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2008, 8:36 am

Cats are very different from humans in regards to showing affection. For example, my little cat when she sees me, jumps up and runs away. She is not, however, dissing me at all - she is running over to her "spot" (where she likes to get petted) and by leaving where she was warm & comfy to go there is actually quite enthusiastically greeting me.

To cats, looking into each others' eyes can be seen as a challenge, so its refusal to look into your could be submitting to you as the alpha.

As for sounds, most cats don't respond to their name, only to the sounds you make to signify food, and if they are in the mood for attention at that moment, they may respond to an attention call. They don't have quite the brains we do, and providing it food is really important and bonding, like their mama. Just like feeding men gives them comfort that they are loved.

Mostly, as SleepyDragon brought up, cats only want attention when they want attention. If you are trying when it's "no in the mood" it won't respond favorably - just wait for it to come to you. If you respect its moods, it will come to you more and more.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 8:47 am

Danielismyname wrote:
To be the bearer of bad news, it'll suffer this affliction its whole life; best to put it down now, for its happiness and yours.

No way, chelation is obviously the answer. You must be some sort of a neuronitwit.

/foresam

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:32 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
No way, chelation is obviously the answer.

The vaccines are needed to save all of the other kitties, who will then be put down for they too will have Asperger's from the aforementioned vaccines. Chelation is useless for it's far too dangerous to administer on poor little kittens; it's far safer and better to kill them.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 9:59 am

Cats don't make eye contact because it's threatening. A good way to scare a cat away is to stare at it. If you squint your eyes when you look at a cat and smile, it'll probably do the same (maybe after getting to know you a bit better with some cats).

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:29 am

There is a book called "All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome." It sounds cute.

I know one of my cats is likely OCD, but not AS. Among my three male housecats, one is timid, another is aloof and one is very social and a Velcro Kitty. The ferals are in a different category. (Pun intended). They can't be classified.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:31 am

You're describing 99% of cats.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:36 am

Khitee the female orange tabby "office cat" is the most "aspie" of our cats.
She is caught in limbo between really wanting affection and wanting to run away. She craves attention...but one sudden move or noise and she is out the door.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:43 am

My two brown tabby cats are totally Aspie. :) I love 'em for it!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 10:45 am

I read somewhere that aspies are like cats and NTs are like dogs. My solution - get a dog

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2008, 10:47 am

Danielismyname, whaaaaaaat are you talking about? Why would you murder a cat like that simply because it doesn't necessarily "behave" like you want it to? The only reason a cat should be put down is humanely, a.k.a. if it's in so much pain that death would be a better option.

...I'm more of a dog person anyway, but cats are great too.