Sounds of some people's voices cause you mental anguish?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 6:24 pm

This is a problem i have. I am not sure whether or not it counts as a sensory issue...There are many people who's voices really get on my nerves...as in..listening to them speak causes pressure to build up in my head, and I feel the strong need to get away from it...sometimes it can be the sound of their voice combined with the words they are saying...Even though these are not bad people..and they are not doing anything wrong...just talking...

Right now I have a headache..and I feel sort of like the headache is directly linked to listening to someone speak because I was riding in the car with them...

I notice this problem when watching some youtube videos that have just people talking....I will want to hear what they have to say, but I am driven away by the sound of their voice..I noticed it happen when I was trying to talk to some people, because the lady of a couple was a special needs teacher...but I could only talk to them for a little while before I started feeling queasy..and it seemed it was partially from the sound of their voices...

Anyone else have this?

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2009, 6:27 pm

well i wont go psycho but i really hate preppy & happy girly girl voices there annoying.
even people with weird boring voices annoy me.
i cant even stand the sound of my voice its ugly.

IndridCold
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2009, 6:32 pm

I've been there. Certain voices just irritate me.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 6:32 pm

kaitlyn_loves_music wrote:
well i wont go psycho but i really hate preppy & happy girly girl voices there annoying.
even people with weird boring voices annoy me.
i cant even stand the sound of my voice its ugly.

I can't stand how people like Paris Hilton and the Kardashians talk. That stupid freaking drawl they do drives me crazy.

A lot of accents irritate me. People talking over each other irritate me. Really, I can't stand people talking at all.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 6:54 pm

Famous vocal irritants:
Jeff Goldblum
Anthony Bourdain
Rowan Atkinson
Donald Trump
My college "Cultural Anthropology" instructor. (Got a "c" because of his voice)...I couldn't take notes properly because I "had" to tune him out and beg for other people's notes which sucked.
Paul Hogan
Hulk Hogan
Pavorati
Joan Rivers
A "lot" of people!! !

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 8:19 pm

This mostly applies to people in person for me. If they are on tv or in the movies, for the most part, I can filter it out.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 8:39 pm

That's one good thing about reading what people write instead of listening to what they say. You don't have to worry about what their voice sounds like or whether you like the way they present themselves.
I don't like loud, aggressive speakers who try to dominate people when they talk or...err...yell...I prefer the obama type speaker who presents themselves amicably.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 8:43 pm

Oh my (beep)! I thought I was the only one! The sound of a baby crying gets to me and if they are screaming, almost paralyses me! And I cannot stand the sound of women with low pitched voices (altos or tenors) or especially smoker voices. I'm sorry if I seem harsh; most of the time if I know the person, I can tune out her voice; for example, I have a friend who's a woman, and her voice is lower than most men's. But for the most part, It really irritates me. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here. I think it is just a sensory issue I have.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 8:48 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
Famous vocal irritants:
Jeff Goldblum
Anthony Bourdain
Rowan Atkinson
Donald Trump
My college "Cultural Anthropology" instructor. (Got a "c" because of his voice)...I couldn't take notes properly because I "had" to tune him out and beg for other people's notes which sucked.
Paul Hogan
Hulk Hogan
Pavorati
Joan Rivers
A "lot" of people!! !

What about Rosie O'Donnell or anyone else on The View?

Some voices really get to me.

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2009, 8:57 pm

Some voices get to me more than others, but I notice it the most when I have a headache coming on.

I have to switch between radio stations because on 2 of the 3 channels I listen to they have really annoying sounding hosts.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 9:34 pm

Yeah...come to think of it....I hate many TV and commercial radio voices...but at least I have the option of turning them down or off..unlike real people...

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 10:00 pm

Yeah.

One on one, the higher the pitched, the more it makes me squint and cover my ears.

It feels different to the background blur of a whole heap of people talking; this feels more overwhelming. The single voice hurts my head.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2009, 10:38 pm

All voices get to me, really.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 11:08 pm

Dhp wrote:
Oh my (beep)! I thought I was the only one! The sound of a baby crying gets to me and if they are screaming, almost paralyses me!

Gah! Crying babies make me physically ill. I was in my neurologist's office one afternoon and she wouldn't believe it (so I fired the c**t) when a baby just would not stop SCREAMING and I had this rush of vertigo and nausea, like someone was beating the hell out of me with compressed air or something. I'd call it synesthesia, but I've never heard of sound-movement synesthesia.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 11:27 pm

I have a co workers voice who bothers me.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 11:40 pm

me too... :( It is very raspy and puts pressure in my head. His smell bothers me also...so between the irritating voice and disturbing smell....... :?.........It's not his fault...I am just sensitive...