Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2011, 3:16 am

Okay, it happened to me last week.

I am a programmer, and all of a sudden, I thought all my work had been lost, and I hadn't made backups.

All of a sudden, I found myself crying like a baby, and I lay on my bed and started sobbing and wheezing until finally I calmed down.

What pissed me off the most is that later on I found a backup. Thank goodness no one saw me.

Anyone else experienced something like this? It happened to me two years ago, when I broke a dinner plate. My brother in law had
passed away two days earlier.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Sep 2011, 4:19 am

Lol I do that all the time, then I start spinning lies to justify it and end up tangling myself in a web of deception :P

here's a typical example.

Cooks four bits of toast
drops one on the floor
has massive screaming fit at "stupid toast"
dad tries to calm me, saying "the other three bits are still good"
hurriedly spins lie (to justify tantrum) about how "I only have one bit of good toast" because the other three are cold by the time I've finished the first...
by the time tantrum has finished, other toast is genuinely cold...
go to school hungry :P

*talks to himself* "seriously David, you're sixteen years old..."

Apparently it's ethically incorrect to possess people...

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 4:26 am

Davuardo wrote:
Lol I do that all the time, then I start spinning lies to justify it and end up tangling myself in a web of deception :P

here's a typical example.

Cooks four bits of toast
drops one on the floor
has massive screaming fit at "stupid toast"
dad tries to calm me, saying "the other three bits are still good"
hurriedly spins lie (to justify tantrum) about how "I only have one bit of good toast" because the other three are cold by the time I've finished the first...
by the time tantrum has finished, other toast is genuinely cold...
go to school hungry :P

*talks to himself* "seriously David, you're sixteen years old..."

Replace Dad with Husband and end line with:

*talks to herself* "seriously YB, you're 38 years old ..."

And yeah, that's pretty much it.

Relate.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 5:41 am

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Can't make any mistakes.

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

i haven't had an embarrising breakdown/shutdown yet.

Also just be glad you weren't at a programming job while you did that LOL

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

I'd have controlled myself more, I guess.

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2011, 4:11 pm

I was in college and heading to my dorm, looking forward to dipping into my stash of moon pies when I got there.

I got there, opened up my closet, and found an empty box where my stash of moon pies was supposed to be. Cue screaming and cursing, quickly followed by knocks on the door and questions from neighbors.

The only explanation I had is "I'm out of moon pies". Didn't make much sense to me either.

Twenty years later, I'm still prone to flipping out like that. If I'm holding it together by thinking of something I like that I'll soon get hold of, and then find that that something isn't available, I've got nothing left to hold it together with. It happened a couple of months ago at work when I found an empty coffeepot where I expected to find coffee. People heard me and everything. Fortunately, they think I'm good at my job and it doesn't happen too often, so I still have a job.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 4:52 pm

Wayne wrote:
Twenty years later, I'm still prone to flipping out like that. If I'm holding it together by thinking of something I like that I'll soon get hold of, and then find that that something isn't available, I've got nothing left to hold it together with. It happened a couple of months ago at work when I found an empty coffeepot where I expected to find coffee. People heard me and everything. Fortunately, they think I'm good at my job and it doesn't happen too often, so I still have a job.

Yup. Relate again.

After the fact we all know it's not really about the coffee or the toast.

But that makes no difference to the reaction.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 8:34 pm

I am glad that you were able to handle this well. I bet many people on the boards have been there...myself included. It is embarrassing, but the best strategy is to apologize (if there are any witnesses) and take your mind off of it. It's a part of being a spectrumite, I guess. :)

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Redd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

Not too long ago I purchased a case of beer and was drinking next to a bonfire with my brother in law. Well we got to talking about times when he and I had put on the MMA gloves and had a match,by this time id had five or six and so had he but I drank mine faster so I was pretty intoxicated, then he said something that implied that if he n I were fighting in a street fight type situation he would win. I felt offended because I put a lot of time and effort into hitting my heavy bag and sparring with my friends to make myself a better fighter so i told him to prove it. I have to give him credit, he is a tuff guy and can really take A LOT of punishment. So i told him that he was full of it then he stood up and said "well? are you ready? ". I thought he was joking and so I stood up and unbuttoned my shirt. the moment I set it down on my chair he just hauled off and sucker punched me in the nose. I got real mad and attempted to hit em but he stepped back and caught me again so I went for the clinch then we fell down together. He came out on top in my full guard. I controlled his head and commenced to hitting em in the temple. We rolled around and I attempted a choke that doesn't even work in that position then somehow I ended up on top in the mount position and started throwing elbows at his eye. however I was so buzzed that I hit the ground more times then I hit him but I still managed to tear open his eye lid. He managed to get out of mount so then I attempted an arm bar but was too out of breath to over power him an decided to kick him in the head....
Skipping to the end of the altercation he was on top strangling me and punching me in the head until my dad came out more angry then I've ever seen him. He broke us up which infuriated me because I was obviously losing at this point. I commenced to scream at the top of my lungs "I CANT LOSE! NOT TO HIM ! I CANT LOSE! I CANT LOSE!" I broke a couple fingers punching the house. Very VERY embarrassing.
My brother in law and I have agreed to have at least one more bare knuckle match when were both sober because I still refuse to lose to him.
I let everyone know how well I do this time. so far the record is two victories no loses for me with gloves, then one victory for each of us without because before this he and my sister had been in an argument which cause him to throw her out of his place and he shut her fingers in the door so I drove up there and smashed his head into the same door until his mom told us the police were coming, needless to say I sped out of town pretty quick after that :lol:
the funny thing is I'm not a violent man. He and I have fought more times than any other person I've ever fought with and I have always exorcised enough restraint to not hurt anyone seriously.