Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2011, 12:52 am

Quote:
I Function, Think, and see in Pictures + Video.

I do not understand and have no concept at all of other ways of thinking. All I know is functioning, thinking and seeing in pictures is all there is. I can not understand and I have no concept of how others can do stuff in other ways but this way.

This is the way it has been all my life I have did this and never did know that there was other ways of thinking and functioning.
So I never asked and or questioned this at all. To me it was the way everyone did it. There was no other way but this way.

One day I was being Re-evaluated for Autism. It was asked if “I think in pictures.” At that time I did not understand why they were asking me this question for.
(After all I had no concept at that time that there is other ways of thinking and not just in pictures.)

I did say Yes I do think and I function too in pictures just like everyone in the world. I asked “Why are you asking me this for?”

They let me know why it was asked and let me know that not every one can do this.
And that this is part of my Autism. And there is other ways that people think. So not all people can see and think in pictures. I just did not at all understand this. This info was all new to me. And my mind was just can not translating what they were saying to put it in to a picture or video for me to understand it.
I was just getting all mixed up trying to understand all of this. After all to me it was the way everyone did it. There was no other way but this way up to now.

I was asked to read a book by Temple Grandin called: “Thinking in Pictures” and I did. It was a very good book to read. And as I am reading it I had to translate it all in to video and pictures in my head. So I can understand what I am reading.

I was like wow I am now just finding this out that the way I think and function is not at all normal. But for me this is normal there is no other way for me to do it but the way I do it and it works for me.

I now know that there is other ways, to think and not everyone thinks in pictures like I do. But to this day I just do not understand it. As I can not get the concepts of the other ways in my mind so I can understand it. But by me reading that book I do know that there is other ways of thinking. I do get that part of it. I just do not have the full concept and understanding it all.

Just like Temple Grandin I do translate spoken and written words into full-color movies and pictures in my head.

How I Function, Think, and see in Pictures + Video.

All the stuff that I do in the day is going inside my head like a big DVR player.
My mind is translating written and spoken words in to video and pictures.
My mind is recording, translating, and playing back the video and pictures. 100% all the time and it is going so fast I some times can not keep up with it all.

Like at night after I am in bed it's still going and going. It's putting all that days stuff in to pictures and video. The pictures and video is how I "function", "know stuff", and "do stuff”.

That is how I keep going. I can not do what I do with out seeing a picture of me doing it in my mind. At the same time I am doing it.
Example: I am putting my shoes on I have to see a picture in my mind of me doing it before I can do it and I have to see it as I am doing it or I just can not do it.
At the same time I have new stuff going in to my mind that is going on next to me.

My mind can go nuts if I have a lot going on at the same time trying to see a picture in my mind of me trying to do stuff all at the same time. It some time's Just can not keep up with it all.

I have a big time problem learning new things that I cannot translate in to a picture or video.

Some words get mixed up being translate in to a picture or video. If the word is the same but has different meanings or spelling, name, sound, and writing.
Examples from the wikipedia.org: Homographs (literally "same writing"), Homophones (literally "same sound"), Heteronyms (literally "different name"), Polysemes (are words with the same spelling and distinct but related meanings), and Capstone’s (are words that share the same spelling but have Different meanings when capitalized).

So how can I write this? It has taking me way over 3 days to write this up to this part. With help from my pictures and video in my mind, My Computer, and help from the internet with the spelling. As I am writing this my mind is translating it in to video and pictures and playing it back. So I am writing this as I am seeing myself writing this in pictures and video from my mind.

Trying to get some stuff to translate in to a picture or video and translate them from my mind to my hand to use the keyboard can take some time. At the same time Reading what I am typing and putting that in to a picture and video so I can understand it. But a lot of the times it is instantly.

Just asking what do you think of this? :?:

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

I posted this last night and no one has Reply-ed yet. :(
Can no one make it out? :?
It's not a joke.
Did I post it in the wrong forum? :?:
Can no one see my post? or maybe the Quote in that post? :?
Is it just that bad? :oops:

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2011, 10:22 pm

I think picture-thinking is so efficient that if we were telepathic, using it as the main form of information transferrence would be quicker than words.

But of course, I too am a little confused by what the concept means. I don't think in words, if that's part of the meaning.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 12:00 am

It makes sense to me. I think in pictures, patterns, and direct sensory info--words need to be translated into tangible things for me to understand them. I need to translate my thoughts into words to speak or write them (which can be very frustrating, and take a very long time!).

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

I can identify with it.

I have a bit of a problem though, with the fact that "thinking in pictures" has been written about and identified with by so many Autistics over the years that a misconception has developed among Autistics and non-Autistics alike. And that is the misconception that we ALL think in pictures and patterns.

It isn't true for all Autistics. Some actually do think with words. Some put together their memories and experiences almost like a written book, without pictures. I can't even imagine what that's like, but it makes perfect sense to those I've met who do "file" things away like that. To them, the idea of thinking in patterns and pictures makes as little sense as thinking in words does to me.

There is though, a similarity between the two different ways of processing. Both are somewhat logical and require some form of "filing and retrieval" that isn't exactly intuitive. For me, it's almost as if I have to open certain drawers that contain certain "tapes" or recordings. Everything is filed somewhere.

Those that I've met that think with words file and retrieve things in much the same way, except that instead of "video" recordings, they store written words. They've got volumes of books and can point to volumes, chapters, sub chapters, paragraphs and lines that contain the pertinent information.

I don't think it's so much how one visualizes information that matters as much as the filing and retrieval system that matters.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...