Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 3:06 pm

Does anyone get times when they are stuck and just can't get started on anything and stare into space for ages, its so annoying its just blank time, not really daydreaming just staring!

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 3:09 pm

yeah aspie inertia i do it all the ti

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 3:19 pm

I do that often as well.. just stare blankly and not even be thinking anything.. people will call my name but I find it hard to start moving again and respond.

I always find it very relaxing and restores some of my energy so its probably just your brain taking a quick time-out to rest :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 3:25 pm

Yeah, but I can't stop thinking. I just think of more stupid things, which isn't half as useful as thinking nothing at all.

F5c_wZ3_414e_X5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2006, 3:35 pm

Yes. It is 7 AM and I have to be at university at 8.00. I sit on my bed and look at the wall. I think, it takes an hour to go to university. But I do nothing, just look at the wall. I can't imagine myself at university. I usually don't do things that I cannot imagine, I don't know why. I look at the clock again, it is 8.30. I think, I'm 30 minutes late. I look at the wall for next 2 hours, then I go to my computer and write a blog entry about an alien who is called F5c_wZ3_414e_X5 and who has lost in time and space.

Lupine_Ragdoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2006, 3:41 pm

I do that, particularly when I'm getting dressed or having a shower. I'll just zone out for a while, and before I know it 20 minutes will have passed, and my parents will be telling me to get out of the bathroom before I've even washed my hair. :P It can happen at pretty much any time though, particularly if I've decided to do something, but am not doing anything currently. Often I'll daydream though, and when I do then I tend to stay there for even longer. :roll:

Help revive ReBoot!

Cowgirlchic23
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2006, 4:14 pm

:x

ERRRRRR!! !! I get lost in La-La land all the time, so annoying!! !! Weirdly though its really bad when I am anxious situation, its like its my minds way of escaping the anxiety. LoL!! !

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 4:18 pm

Quote:
I get lost in La-La land all the time

Thats exactly what my step-mother would call it.. in a yelling voice as she chewed me out (again) for ignoring her (again) while she was chewing me out about something else (again).

She couldnt understand she was the one making me zone out :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 5:13 pm

fresco wrote:
Does anyone get times when they are stuck and just can't get started on anything and stare into space for ages, its so annoying its just blank time, not really daydreaming just staring!

Yes, and the more pressure I'm under, the worse it gets. It's totally counter-productive and I wish I didn't distract myself all the time in this way.

Tyler
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2006, 8:45 pm

I have it the worst when it concerns things like education or finances. I've been trying to find a job for a few days, and today I got up, got dressed, and then laid down in my bed and stared at the ceiling for several hours. I felt like such a louse and a failure for not being able to motivate myself.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 9:10 pm

I tend to be doing something utterly unproductive in terms of getting whatever it is that I "should" be working on. Ie displacement activity. Like surfing wrong planet - makes hours simply disappear. Sometimes the same thing happens in the shower - I really need to get a noisy "egg" timer for that room - wasting water while I daydream is bad.

I'll get attacks of the inertias for days at a time where I do nothing productive at all :S

krex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 9:12 pm

This has happened to me alot ,more so when stressed...three things come to mind

catatonia....I think this is a form of escapism when over loaded..(just like if you tried to overload a computer...the person just "shuts down"...maybe a self-preservation..(if I move I will scream and if I scream I may never stop)

I read somewhere that some with AS(especially seen in children)will "freeze" in position when they sense danger or overload(animals do it all the time,preditors sense movement and will chase what is running on impulse....so if I stay very still...except the "prediter doesnt have to be a physical "thing"...It can be anything which causes pain,destress,fear...ie...applying for a job,driving,going to the Dr,or going to a setting which causes stress and overload...

you lucked out...I already forgot what the third thing is...lol....(short attention spam strikes again)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Sep 2006, 10:11 pm

This is very interesting there are so many things that I had no idea were related to AS.

Yes I often have to pause and just do nothing for a while after stressful situations or social interactions (which really drain me of energy) a lot of times i fell like pauseing while in these situations but i can't, and i find that very tiering. I also often have to pause before I do things like to gain the strength to do them or work out exactly how to go about something.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 10:33 pm

Procrastination is linked to AS?? Could someone post a link to a study or report??

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

12 Sep 2006, 10:45 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Procrastination is linked to AS?? Could someone post a link to a study or report??

Procrastination is linked to ADHD and ADHD often comorbit with AS.
I guess 50% of AS people maybe most who are INTP / *N*P have ADHD.
I would guess 99.9% of people with ADHD have procrastination problems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?DB=pubmed

(You can look studies up at the above link)

Quote:
Symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have been widely reported in children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The current study investigated attention and response control in children with ASD, ADHD, and typical development using the Integrated Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test. Results indicate that many children with ASD show significant deficits in visual and auditory attention and greater deficits in impulsivity than children with ADHD or typical development. These findings suggest that many of the children with ASD demonstrate significant ADHD-like deficits. These findings are discussed in the context of symptoms, subtypes, and comorbidity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=16911977

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 11:49 pm

Quote:
I read somewhere that some with AS(especially seen in children)will "freeze" in position when they sense danger or overload

Wow. 8O

I did that last night. I'd just got home, 11:30pm, and was putting the bins out, when I heard squealing tyres and a car smashed into a tree, about 75m up the street from my place.

And I looked to see what happened, and thought about going to see if anyone needed help, but as I was thinking about what should be done, these two boys (tall but still boys, bigger than me) came running flat out, straight at me and my bins. And I just froze.

One of them sort of looked at me and both of them kept running. I didn't say anything to them and they didn't say anything to me. I'd seen this once before where a car full of boys driving stupidly - crash the car and everyone gets out and runs away. So I'm there frozen-ish WTF??? And I look back up the street and there's people piling out of the nearest houses and another car there with its lights on - so I figure they've got help but we need the cops so I unfreeze and go call the cops. I felt pretty freaked out.

Apparently they'd been in a car chase, and the car that showed up after, was a cop car - but I couldn't see that because it left its lights on shining at me so I couldn't see what sort of car it was.