Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

Hi a wile ago i got a tub of lego of assortead peaices, but i soon noticed they were a problem for me, i have extreme difclty puting the bricks together and taking them apart it realy hurts my fingers and makes me stresing, i still for some reason love the thought of and or playing with the lego peices. it has been said that i should try "duplo" , i am not sure if the difclty with the lego is a autism related problem

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

I dont think its autism related dude.

I got my 4 yar old niece a huge box of lego for christmas, still fun to mess around building stuff even at my age :)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:17 pm

It sounds like a fine motor problem. That's when your hands don't coordinate very well. Quite a lot of people with autism have dyspraxia (the technical name) but it sounds like you have it quite badly. I personally like lego but not treading on it.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2012, 1:22 pm

nintendofan wrote:
Hi a wile ago i got a tub of lego of assortead peaices, but i soon noticed they were a problem for me, i have extreme difclty puting the bricks together and taking them apart it realy hurts my fingers and makes me stresing, i still for some reason love the thought of and or playing with the lego peices. it has been said that i should try "duplo" , i am not sure if the difclty with the lego is a autism related problem

I partially agree with Rocco. I got Legos as a present back when I was a young kid, and they were my favorite toy by far. But, we're all different. Aspies can be sensitive to all manner of different things.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

You can improve fine motor control with lots and lots of practice. You might try something easier, like putting together cardboard puzzles. They come in a wide variety of difficulties--you might start off with a large piece 100 or 300 piece puzzle and and progress to puzzles with more and smaller pieces.

Shuffling and dealing cards is another exercise to improve fine motor control.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:26 pm

I do great with putting them together, it's just the taking them apart I can't do well. Whats the worst with lego's is when you put a bunch of flat ones together all lined up even so you have to pry them apart with a butter knife.

Duplo's are those HUGE lego's made for preschoolers and you probably wouldn't have much fun with those.

I really liked them as a kid, but for some reason I never play with anything now that I'm grown. I want to, but I don't. I would sometimes make lego stuff with my kids but it wasn't fun because they wanted to hog all the good pieces, and as their mother I didn't think it would be right to snatch them away lol.

I also used to like Lincoln Logs. I think they are made out of plastic now aren't they? I know the roof pieces are. When I was a kid, they were all wood, the roof's included. You could get splinters from the roof planks.

Also, when I was really little, the first Mr Potato Head kit I got came with just the face pieces and you used a real potato. I'm that old.

Have you seen that huge lego store in Minnesota? They let you come in and play.

Is your problem with putting them together more or taking them apart? If it's taking them apart, you could use a metal nail file or a butter knife. That's what I did even as a kid to take them apart. My grandmother figured it was safer to give me those implements than it was to let me try and bite them apart and choke on it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2012, 1:29 pm

roccoslife wrote:
I am not a dude.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

nintendofan wrote:
roccoslife wrote:
I am not a dude.

I don't know how the OP meant it, but many times "dude" isn't gender specific. It's like "man" was used back in the 60s and 70s. My best friend and I call each other "dude" all the time. We are both decidedly female. In fact, she has long hair almost down to her knees.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

catatonix
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2012, 1:34 pm

I find I can often feel a lot of stress when I am trying to take lego apart and they wont break, or something that seems simple that I can't do. (I loved playing with lego in general). I end up having to put it down and walk away.

I'm good at catching and all that (actually really good).

However my handwriting is awful no matter how hard I try. Does this make sense?

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
Aspies can be sensitive to all manner of different things.
I am not aspie.

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Dunnyveg wrote:
I am not aspie.

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Dunnyveg wrote:
I am not aspie.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

OliveOilMom wrote:
nintendofan wrote:
roccoslife wrote:
I am not a dude.

I don't know how the OP meant it, but many times "dude" isn't gender specific. It's like "man" was used back in the 60s and 70s. My best friend and I call each other "dude" all the time. We are both decidedly female. In fact, she has long hair almost down to her knees.

What she said :)

winslow

05 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

Don't fret, Lego blocks can fit together pretty tightly. Pry them apart with a dull knife or something.

Diamorphine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

I don't think so, I loved legos as a kid.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm

I like the bigger ones.