Intiative for Inclusive Communities ("life coaching&quo

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

I have been having a lot of problems lately... well for a while now... and its making me finally want to seek some help. Growing up I never got much help, no SLP, no life skills classes, or anything like that. Beyond that family wasn't much help either. So now I am 25, never been on a date, have few to no friends, just got fired from a student teaching position (hopefully not for good) etc.

There aren't a whole lot of anything that can help here where I live though (one of the biggest cities in America and still nothing :-/). A couple of places offer job placement services, but I am looking to teach so I doubt I will get much help there. ASU (where I go) however does have what they call "The Intiative for Inclusive Communities". Basically it seems to be sort of a life coaching thing where they help aspies and others with disabilities gain skills we may be lacking and help us get jobs/apartments/other stuff. You can find their website online but since I am new here I can't post it :-/. They say all the stuff they do on there.

Part of me is worried about doing something like this though... part of it seems like it will make me feel "ret*d" despite their insurances (just getting started with the process) that it won't. It also is quite expensive though they ensure they will do what they can to help me out finacially with it. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with anything like this? I am mostly looking for actual experiences, and not just opinions about stuff like this, but any advice would be helpful.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 10:54 pm

My initial worry would be how much would it actually cost.

I'd applied for the LifeMAP program, but then when it came down to it costing me $75/hr while I'm unemployed, its just not something I can afford.

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm

Well without any finacial help it sounds like $300 a month for a few services and a little help (hopefully that would be all I need) to $900 for a ton of services. Either way I would have a really hard time affording it, but they did say they can come up with creative ways to help people afford it. It sounds like they expect parents to help out... sadly I don't have parental assistance.