Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm

Anyone get this.. its not just thinking a word is stupid, it's actually feeling bad because people use it.

When people use the word "Anyways" it upsets me. It makes me sort of shiver. Yet other incorrect English words don't bother me.

TwistedReflection
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm

"Irregardless" is very annoying, although I wouldn't say that I get shivers when hearing it, I'm merely perturbed by it. The word "sex" bothers me a lot, however, and I can't really use it myself, and I'll often substitute it with "intimate relations" or "intercourse" to avoid having to say it.

Off-Topic: It's good to see another Kiwi aspie on WP, by the by, hale_bopp. :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm

Feb-YOO-airy instead of Feb-ROO-airy for February.

"I could care less" when they really mean "I could NOT care less".

"ATM Machine" ... it means "Automatic Teller Machine Machine".

Using "Literally" when they mean "Practically" or "Virtually". "I laughed so hard that I literally bust a gut!" means "I laughed so hard that I injured an internal organ", whereas "I laughed so hard I practically bust a gut" means "I laughed really hard."

"Hopefully" - This means "With Hope". When you say "Hopefully, I'll pass the exam", do you mean that you'll take the test in a hopeful frame of mind, or do you mean that you hope you'll pass the exam? When used this way, the meaning of the sentence is vague, and therefore communicate little of any use.

"Memento" (a souvenir of a memorable person or event) is often mispronounced and misspelled as "Momento" (the Spanish word for "Moment").

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:38 pm

TwistedReflection wrote:
"Irregardless" is very annoying, although I wouldn't say that I get shivers when hearing it, I'm merely perturbed by it. The word "sex" bothers me a lot, however, and I can't really use it myself, and I'll often substitute it with "intimate relations" or "intercourse" to avoid having to say it.

Off-Topic: It's good to see another Kiwi aspie on WP, by the by, hale_bopp. :P

I see you have the Eye of Horus as your avatar. I like you already. :P

Fnord wrote:
"I could care less" when they really mean "I could NOT care less".

Yikes! This one bothers me a lot, too!

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm

"Random". Learn what the words "irrelevant" and "unexpected" mean. Nobody who ever existed has ever said anything random. Ever. With probability only infinitesimally smaller than 1, anything truly random would be physically impossible for a human being to pronounce. And it's especially not random when 95% of the irrelevant BS you spout out while people are trying to converse are direct quotes from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". You know who you are.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm

"Veggies" for "vegetables". It always sounds like baby-talk between adults to me. As you may imagine, I've been irritated frequently for the last thirty years! :evil:

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 11:57 pm

I hate the "r" word because I have been called that.

Seventh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Oct 2011, 12:06 am

It annoys me when people say "a couple" when they mean "a few". "A couple" means two!! !

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 12:06 am

Confusing the words "Imply" and "Infer"...

imply - Verb: To strongly suggest the truth or existence of something not expressly stated. "Are you implying that I'm guilty of slander?"

infer - Verb: To deduce or conclude information from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements. "I inferred his drunkenness from his stumbling walk."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 1:13 am

Yes, will make me sad or angry. (or both hard for me to tell them apart =/)

No specific words in mind though =(

I do not really care about incorrect grammar/improper word placement.

mostly specific words that have gross, ugly, menacing, inappropriate, threatening, or otherwise unpleasant connotation in my mind.

Last edited by liveandletdie on 04 Oct 2011, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 1:48 am

In my case, it is partly a matter of clarity, and there are certain words I will not use. Also, some language uses (proper or otherwise) I find to be just plain unattractive, for example "ie" endings. When people here write "Aspies" I'd rather see "aspys," but that doesn't work either so I'd settle for "Aspers." Something like "babies" doesn't bother me but the term "bobbies" is slightly annoying. Can't think of a better example right now...

But they do not have me

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 2:15 am

"Two choices "when they really mean "A choice of two"

"The Both of us" why put "The" on the beginning. :evil:

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 3:21 am

certain words and phrases piss me off. Not because they're offensive, but because of how they sound to me.

"Tidy up" is one
same with "Delicious"
and there's some others I can't even think of right now.

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2011, 4:08 am

When people say "At the end of the day" meaning "all things considered". They probably don't say it in the states but in Britain it seems to be almost every other sentence, especially when sportspeople give interviews.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 4:30 am

needless to say or never the less like i knew that something was suppose to be said or that something else was suppose to happen, have said it though once

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 4:50 am

I hate when they say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" and even more when they use those stupid internet abbreviations like "ppl," "b4," "4U," and the similiar; only some are really useful and fixed terms, e.g., "LOL" but all the others are stupid and mostly used by people who don't need to abbreviate since their messages are very short anyway.