Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 6:02 am

This isn't about autism as such, but I'm sure that you'll quickly understand how this relates to those on the spectrum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2 ... t_two.html

In this fascinating look at emotional expression as portrayed through media, Adam Curtis examines how authentic expression can provoke unsettling feelings, and how groups can come to reward approved expression that is not actually authentic, and shun the really real. He describes a process:

Quote:
Television began to teach people how to be emotional on camera. A self-selecting group of real people began to appear on TV and collaborate with the producers to create a new vocabulary of words and gestures that aimed to express their deep and authentic feelings.

'The Hug' is a symbol for this.

Quote:
I want to suggest that the Hug has become a part of the modern problem of not being able to imagine any alternative to the world of today. The Hug is no longer liberating, it is restraining.

If you've ever been exasperated when trying to express your authentic self and being rebuffed, or baffled at how other people seem to be almost robotically empty or inauthentic, you might find this an interesting read/watch.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:35 am

That is a very, very interesting article. I've often thought that the trend of making people cry on television is not only exploitative, but also damaging to society as a whole; it's interesting to see the whole thing cast in the light of Victorian rigidity. I've always thought that tears should be private - not meaning that someone who bursts into tears publicly is wrong, but that shining the spotlight on that person is wrong.

Lynne Soraya has an interesting article I like that touches on social conventions, privacy and "feelings" on television with a slightly different take: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/asp ... udges-away

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:39 am

IMO its really like another form of handshake - just that it ranges more in expression. If its good friends its a handshake and left arm around the shoulder, if its a female friend its a brief hug but crisp - as its more of a 'what's up!' thing, hugging a romantic partner - a bit more inflected, hugging a romantic partner after something tragic has happened (or even a friend if your female) - considerably more inflected.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:58 am

I think movies and TV shows intentionally exaggerate peoples emotions for theatrical effect. There is a lot of acting that goes on even in reality shows.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:02 am

momsparky wrote:
That is a very, very interesting article. I've often thought that the trend of making people cry on television is not only exploitative, but also damaging to society as a whole; it's interesting to see the whole thing cast in the light of Victorian rigidity. I've always thought that tears should be private - not meaning that someone who bursts into tears publicly is wrong, but that shining the spotlight on that person is wrong.

Lynne Soraya has an interesting article I like that touches on social conventions, privacy and "feelings" on television with a slightly different take: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/asp ... udges-away

I agree, but it is interesting that people will VOLUNTEER for this kind of treatment. I think it is mean-spirited. I would never be on any tv show for this reason.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 9:25 am

jackbus01 wrote:
I agree, but it is interesting that people will VOLUNTEER for this kind of treatment. I think it is mean-spirited. I would never be on any tv show for this reason.

Yes - and I think the seeds of that are in the article here. I think that many people believe that bursting into tears on Oprah or Dr. Phil, for instance, will actually help someone else. That's the construct that 1970s mental health professionals offered, that "sharing" your feelings is theraputic, not just for yourself, but for society at large.

I don't dispute that sharing is appropriate in many circumstances (certainly in a private therapy session, for instance,) but I doubt that they even thought of the global level of sharing that is possible today, nor does it consider that part of the problem is not understanding one's own feelings (another point well-made by your article) because it leaves one susceptible to taking things on. Given these two points, I agree - it's incredibly mean-spirited, especially when people volunteer for it.