Adult Asperger persons needed for thesis (email contact)

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ChiaraGuarascio
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2011, 2:52 am

Hi everybody, this is Chiara from Italy. I'm working on my clinical psychology degree thesis, which will be about Asperger's syndrome. It's very hard to find adult aspies (in my country many are undiagnosed, we're still at stone age!) and when I do they're not usually happy to talk to me about their life...Is any of your members here willing to help me? It's a matter of answering a few questions by email, I don't need people's names, just age, sex and main occupation.
Write me at scenadelcrimineATgmailDOTcom (sorry but the spam filter doesn't allow an email address!)

Thanks!! !
Chiara

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 3:24 am

ChiaraGuarascio wrote:
Hi everybody, this is Chiara from Italy. I'm working on my clinical psychology degree thesis, which will be about Asperger's syndrome. It's very hard to find adult aspies (in my country many are undiagnosed, we're still at stone age!) and when I do they're not usually happy to talk to me about their life...Is any of your members here willing to help me? It's a matter of answering a few questions by email, I don't need people's names, just age, sex and main occupation.
Write me at scenadelcrimineATgmailDOTcom (sorry but the spam filter doesn't allow an email address!)

Thanks!! !
Chiara

You may PM me the questions.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 4:11 am

Same here, go ahead and PM me, Id love to help out.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 4:11 am

Why not post the questions on this forum and sit back and see what the responses are?

ChiaraGuarascio
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2011, 4:37 am

well, because we're talking of very personal issues....!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 5:00 am

you can still post the questions only, and request the answers over email or PM.
you can also pm me if you still need responces

ChiaraGuarascio
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2011, 5:10 am

I'd rather pm to anybody who's available! Thanks everybody, questions on their way.
Chiara

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

13 Oct 2011, 5:39 am

You can PM me the questions as well.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 7:08 am

You can PM me too... though it doesn't seem like the most efficient way to collect data.

Might I suggest that you could use an online survey tool? Survey Monkey is free on a basic account or if you have funding available PsychData is a psychology-oriented online survey website.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

ChiaraGuarascio
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2011, 7:22 am

Thanks but this is not just data collection. I want to actually know how do Asperger people live, how they feel, what are their everyday problems, how does their communication work, how they deal with social interactions... An online data survey won't simply work! The questions I pm are the same for everybody at first, but I can ask some more depending on the answers I get. Thanks for your suggestion, though!
Chiara

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 7:47 am

You can pm me, but if your country is still at stone age (like France?) i wonder if the results are actually useful.

ChiaraGuarascio
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2011, 7:59 am

The reason why I'm doing my research is to bring my country at least to bronze age! :D

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2011, 11:39 am

Hi,
if you PM and let me know who you are, which university and details about confidentiality and where my data will be used I will help. You could try the National Autistic Society in the UK (or other countries) as they have links to official studies and it would give you more credibility as I'm sure you are genuine but not to be funny it is hard to know that from an Internet forum and some people wouldn't be cautious-you could be approaching vulnerable people.
I worked in research and have a PhD (not psychology) so have some knowledge-apologies if I sound like I'm attacking your study.
Quite often the method of recruitment would be considered e.g. for drug studies consultants refer on their patients at particular hospitals. Could you get links to an Aspergers centre in another country? Would an internet forum be acceptable source data in a thesis?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 12:55 pm

I would not mind helping at all, but would insist on a lot more reliable information about who you are and what will and will not be done with the information.

What guarantees can you offer that you are who you say you are? Normally, before I engage with anything like this, I get an official statement regarding privacy of information shared, what will and will not be shared, and some better indication of who the person is requesting the help, like an "official" web site, some clear evidence that you really are a student, and of which school where.

Especially when a poster says this:

"well, because we're talking of very personal issues....!"

That's not so much a problem, but if that's how it is, I'm sure not going to post them here on the forum, or send them through PM or email, until I KNOW you are who you say you are. And, who that exactly is.

Need more information about you.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 12:56 pm

How much of our identities will we have to reveal?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 1:08 pm

How many people do you need anyway?

Count me in if you need it... PM me.