We would be in the stone age without aspies.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zombie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 12:00 am

We would be in the stone age without aspies. with out aspies i rekon we wouldnt have the tv, the computer, the car and a whole heap of other things.

Donate to the Help make a Film Foundation
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 12:10 am

I agree. We wouldn't have Pokemon if there wasn't Aspies!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 12:12 am

Not necessarily.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 12:12 am

Probably

zombie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 12:13 am

I just herd it from a leader in asperger research thats all :D :D

Donate to the Help make a Film Foundation
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

ooh_choc
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2007, 12:13 am

Perhaps you're using hyperbole there, but I'd say it's extremely unrealistic to think all innovations were made by aspies. I know plenty of bright and creative people with excellent people skills.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Feb 2007, 7:03 am

Some people have speculated that the emergence of ADHD in the gene pool occurred
about the same time mankind began making major progress. Like I guess 50,000 about years ago (stone age). ADHD tends to make individuals more creative. Higher
levels of the gene in Europe. May explain why it modernized before other regions of the world.

Since AS is often comorbid with ADHD that is how it fits into your theory.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 7:11 am

That depends if the majpr inventors which made what the modern world what it is were Aspies. I don't know. The dx of Aspergers wasn't found out till the 1990s. Was Di Vinche an Aspie?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 7:50 am

I think someone would have come up with the same idea eventually.

But I think aspies have done the world a lot of good.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 8:04 am

Well, our recent social/cultural/scientific evolution certainly would have been different without the likes of Sir Issac Newton.

- Emerson

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

17 Feb 2007, 8:10 am

MrMark wrote:
Well, our recent social/cultural/scientific evolution certainly would have been different without the likes of Sir Issac Newton.

Yeah...

"Hey Newton, whatcha doing?"
"I am trying to prove the existence of electricity!It is a complica-hey, would you look at me when I'm talking to you?!"
"Oh, heheh, sorry, I tend to do that. Y'know, I've been studying electricity for a long time, can never take my mind of it!"
"Really?"
"Yeah! Oh, here's an expert tip: If you're gonna do it, wear some leather gloves, they help stop the flow of the electric current."
"Hey thanks!"
"I'll see you later then!"
"Okay bye!

Sadly, Newton didn't wear gloves and upon being shocked in his kite-key experiment he totally forgot about this person that he met.

:wink: :roll:

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 8:29 am

KBABZ wrote:
MrMark wrote:

Yeah...

"I am trying to prove the existence of electricity!It is a complica-hey, would you look at me when I'm talking to you?!"
"Oh, heheh, sorry, I tend to do that. Y'know, I've been studying electricity for a long time, can never take my mind of it!"
"Really?"
"Yeah! Oh, here's an expert tip: If you're gonna do it, wear some leather gloves, they help stop the flow of the electric current."
"Hey thanks!"
"Okay bye!

Sadly, Newton didn't wear gloves and upon being shocked in his kite-key experiment he totally forgot about this person that he met.

I was thinking more along the lines of his ability to stare at a beaker til dawn.

- Emerson

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 8:50 am

KBABZ wrote:
MrMark wrote:

Yeah...

"Really?"
"Hey thanks!"
"Okay bye!

Wasn't that supposedly Ben Franklin?

I think I did read that they believe Newton was Aspie though. I know I read they suspect Thomas Edison, Einstein, Beethoven, (I would add Mozart myself), Socrates, Gates, Speilberg and others. I would even add Carl Sagan although he seemed to be social. If you watch him, his manner of speaking was very forced and scripted. He spoke in a very montone voice. He would only stay on his subject. To me, he was an Aspie that tried to take Science to the masses, but I suspect he was probably still somewhere on the spectrum.

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2007, 10:15 am

I fit the AS diagnostic criteria and I'm horrible at coming up with new ideas and creating new things. :(

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 1:27 pm

KBABZ wrote:
MrMark wrote:

Yeah...

"Really?"
"Hey thanks!"
"Okay bye!

u sure that was newton??

tyb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Feb 2007, 1:30 pm

Bullcrap. It's not AS that makes an engineer, pioneer, etc. Intelligence has nothing to do with aspergers.