I'm a socially awkward nerd: Do I have aspergers?

Page 1 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

17 Oct 2011, 6:15 pm

I like to eat integrals for breakfast, fractals for lunch and polar equations for dinner. When people say "Hello, how are you?", I respond "Fine. Have you had your daily dose of math equations?" and then they ignore me. Needless to say, I'm kind of awkward.

Do I have aspergers?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 6:17 pm

Definitely not enough to go by. :wink:

Sorry.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

17 Oct 2011, 6:18 pm

How about if I've never had a girlfriend before? Is that enough evidence?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 6:20 pm

Not enough to tell by your OP but to be honest I have been hoping you do have it so you stop with all the "I must be an aspie" "I must not have it" and going around diagnosing people with it and undiagnosing. You stopped doing that but I know you probably still do it in your head.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 6:22 pm

Bluto, I don't know whether you have aspergers but....

I'm intrigued about daily doses of math equations.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 6:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Not enough to tell by your OP but to be honest I have been hoping you do have it so you stop with all the "I must be an aspie" "I must not have it" and going around diagnosing people with it and undiagnosing. You stopped doing that but I know you probably still do it in your head.

Lol, OK, I'll let the thought police into my mind just to make sure I'm not thinking any unsavory thoughts. Btw, I'm still pretty obsessed with categorizing people, I've just become much more gentler and subtle with my approach if I do decide to suggest it.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 6:46 pm

MountainLaurel wrote:
Bluto, I don't know whether you have aspergers but....

I'm intrigued about daily doses of math equations.

Today's daily dose:

A derivation of Einstein's relativity equation in its simplest form!

This was the original equation that he derived:

But, if you take v to 0 because you're from the view point of a stationary observer (And you don't move), then you're left with the familiar equation of E=mc^2. Cool, huh?!

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 6:57 pm

I don't know whether it's cool. 8O

I don't know what the letters in the equation mean. And I don't know what relativity is. But thanks for sending an equation in a handsome setting.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

MountainLaurel wrote:
I don't know whether it's cool. 8O

I don't know what the letters in the equation mean. And I don't know what relativity is. But thanks for sending an equation in a handsome setting.

The law E = mc^2 basically tells you that energy and mass are equivalent. If you some of amount of mass, you could theoretically convert it into energy, which is what nuclear bombs do. E stands for "energy", m stands for mass and c stands for the speed of light. Even though nuclear bombs lose a tiny bit of mass during detonation, the speed of light is so much that when you square it, you end up generating a ton of energy which is why they're able to destroy cities in one blast.

The v in the original equation stands for the velocity, which is the velocity difference between the observer and the thing being observed. It's called "The theory of relativity" because the equation depends on the observer's speed relative to the thing being observed.

Last edited by swbluto on 17 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

I think I am insulted by the assumption that in order to have Asperger's you need to be a math nerd...

And why do you keep asking questions you already know the answers to?!

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:07 pm

draelynn wrote:
I think I am insulted by the assumption that in order to have Asperger's you need to be a math nerd...

What? Oh no, I'm sensing a faulty NT inference into a possible AS person's literal writing.

Quote:
And why do you keep asking questions you already know the answers to?!

I don't know if I have aspergers.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

17 Oct 2011, 7:14 pm

I don't know any Aspies who eat math as a food source.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:16 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
I don't know any Aspies who eat math as a food source.

I occasionally supplement with Cheetos and Mountain Dew to stay alive.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:16 pm

swbluto wrote:
What? Oh no, I'm sensing a faulty NT inference into a possible AS person's literal writing.

Wait... which of us is the faulty NT and which of us is the AS person in that equation?

Come on now... you have AS because you like math and don't have a girlfriend?! Even in joking... that's just not funny...

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:21 pm

draelynn wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Wait... which of us is the faulty NT and which of us is the AS person in that equation?

I'm pretty sure I read your sentence correctly, so I'm pretty sure my inference was correct. I don't know about yours...

Quote:
Come on now... you have AS because you like math and don't have a girlfriend?! Even in joking... that's just not funny...

In seeing the trees, you forgot to see the forest that was the "socially awkward" part.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:33 pm

Thanks, Bluto. I get most of that, I just don't know how you'd make anything go c x c fast; no don't say; it's just too fast for me to want to contemplate.

Is that a picture of you wearing the Scamper tiara?