Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:43 pm

What helps you in a panic attack?
I used to (I g them from time to time but not too often) find thinking ahead helps along with music I suppose.
Something to pre occupy yourself (Like a games console) also helps.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2011, 5:52 pm

For me I try to get someplace somewhat dark and very quiet---like in bed in my bedroom. Then, I try to engage in something somewhat repetitive like computer solitaire or some other game that I find relaxing---nothing with time limits or where I'm competing with someone else. If I haven't gotten sleepy by about an hour, I will then work on some project on my laptop computer like my novel. Often times these activities will help me. Then I might either lie down and go to sleep, or rejoin the family for something relaxing on television.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 6:03 pm

I find it best to find something to occupy yourself, but when you go over the threshold where it's really got ahold of you, I take half a dose of benedryl.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 6:33 pm

If it is a mild one I just take a benedryl. But if I'm having a major, life-threatening meltdown, I go to the ER for 2mg of Ativan and 50mg of Seroquel.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 6:37 pm

Nothing lately and I've been getting them more often and worse lately.

If I can get it valium helps. Sometimes when I had a panic attack I used to clean house to burn of extra energy and try to distract myself until it was over.

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2011, 8:14 pm

Until the last few years it was enough to just avoid or leave situations which I knew would make me anxious. I have always been ok with that. But now! Sheesh! I can't go into town without music. Even then I still carry massive amounts of anxiety.

So music. Avoidance. Warm water in a flask or chamomile or a nice sweet creamy beverage (I plan to try Dandelion Root soon).
I have discovered wearing warm shades of red and orange and yellow helps. Keeping my neck warm (warmth generally). If I have to eat in town I choose soups if possible, otherwise I make sure I have my water to drink with whatever I eat.

Walking through town I try to take the most scenic natural route. If possible I take time to get my bare feet on wet grass. This is very soothing.

Generally though I find it nearly impossible to stop and be calm so I just try to slow myself down as much as possible. I force myself to walk slowly.

:D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 9:07 pm

Sitting in a dark room and counting to 10. Thinking about the things that make my happy helps me, as well.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 9:57 pm

I like to hop in bed curl up in a ball and turn off the lights.

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2011, 12:03 am

If I am having a full blown "OMG what the hell is this" panic attack, as opposed to a melt down, it helps to have someone calmly talking to me to work me out of it. I may not like what they are saying, but their voice helps snap me back into reality. Then taking a nap is good, if I am able. If not, I may sing.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 7:11 am

I'm not sure I know what exactly a panic attack is, but sometimes I get panicked in the swimming pool I attend regularly, due to my mild phobia. It's worse when I'm almost alone in it. Nothing helps but thinking of how stupid I am panicking for nothing... :?

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 7:57 am

The only thing that truly helps me avoid one is to walk away from whatever situation is causing it, find a calm quiet (preferably dark) spot, close my eyes and breathe.

Luckily, the one person whose opinion I care about has learned to just let me walk away when I need to. And I've gotten pretty good at avoiding situations that cause it (crowds mostly).

I've been prescribed Ativan. I hated it. A panic attack might incapacitate me for an hour or so, but the Ativan I'd take to fix it would leave me zombified all day.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:13 am

Madbones wrote:
What helps you in a panic attack?

nothing would be able to help me if i had a panic attack. i have never had a panic attack, and if i suddenly had one, i would panic about having a panic attack.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:15 am

A towel.

Thanks for the fish ...

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:19 am

b9 wrote:
if i suddenly had one, i would panic about having a panic attack.

What's funny is sometimes that's exactly what happens. Often, it is the fear of having one that triggers a panic attack. At least for me.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:25 am

mds_02 wrote:
b9 wrote:
if i suddenly had one, i would panic about having a panic attack.

What's funny is sometimes that's exactly what happens. Often, it is the fear of having one that triggers a panic attack. At least for me.

Yeah, me too.

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2011, 8:45 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
A towel.

Thanks for the fish ...

"Don't forget to bring a towel!" "Run away, 'e's got a towel!"

Panic attacks. It's hard to think about anything to calm yourself when you panic. I find breathing excersizes help out some, or thinking or something funny.