Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

27 Oct 2011, 12:41 am

I noticed that Joe90 noticed that many people stared at her and gives her negative attention and she seems to suspect that it's due to her face or something. I know that aspies are known to have a "flat facial expression" and I was wondering if there was a readily identifiable "aspie face" that neurotypicals can readily identify and react to accordingly?

I don't really know if I'm aspie, but I swear there must be something about my facial expression that attracts negative attention as my body language is the "confident type" that I've purposely practiced and I don't think people would target people who portray confidence (Of course, I might just lack social insight and I might actually have hostile body language.), unless some envy confident people or interpret "confident body langauge" as being stuck-up/snooty. The faces of schizophrenics probably is similar to those with autism, as they also have the "flat affect" or "blunted affect" which is similar, so I might actually have a schizophrenic facial expression and people find it "revolting" or something like that.

You know that's how some neurotypicals operate, like bullies, they just need to identify some characteristic that indicates you're an "outsider" and they purposely target you accordingly because it's a way of suppressing you to discourage you from participating in the social sphere and, subsequently, keeping you from passing on your genes or so I've heard from Paul Coojimans (The deepest purpose of bullying is to try to keep people from adding their genes to the future gene pool.).

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

27 Oct 2011, 12:44 am

Maybe there's something about my appearance like my clothes, who knows. Maybe my behavior is "strange"? I don't fricking have a clue.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2011, 12:48 am

My counselor from a couple years ago told me my facial expression and body language reflect reservation. He also used the term "scary," which is great to know. :? People tell me to smile a lot. I hate that.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:02 am

I had a complete stranger tell me to cheer up the other day. I wasn't feeling sad at all.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:10 am

tropicalcows wrote:
He also used the term "scary," which is great to know. :?

I'm curious if my facial expression is "scary" because some people seem to act scared.

I look at my normal facial expression in the mirror and it looks void of expression, which I think is normal? But, then, sometimes it kind of looks like a "dead stare", which I can imagine might look scary, especially in conversation but I can't imagine people would judge something like that so readily outside of conversation?

Last edited by swbluto on 27 Oct 2011, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:22 am

I work in a psychiatric hospital. As I walked down the hall, a patient said to me "look up!" because I usually look at my feet as I walk.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:40 am

Hmmm, where's the beef?

Last edited by swbluto on 27 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2011, 1:45 am

You look a little sad, but not scary. Beautiful hair and eyes by the way.
The second picture made me lol.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:13 am

You look sad in the first one and in the second one, you look like you're having fun and being goofy.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:43 am

Acting NT is possible, but requires a lot of effort and is a bit scary, as you just have to "go with it" much of the time. And then, because you are dedication so much of your higher brain function to acting, you will probably come off as ditzy or weird regardless. It basically feels wrong, so it also requires a lot of willpower.

But they do not have me

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 3:03 am

I always look mad or angry to others
When I'm happy I barely crack a smirk, I just don't like to smile it seems so fake to me. Those NT that walk around with that giddy...way too happy for a plain jane situation are annoying to me.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 3:34 am

Well customers at work have thought I was sad or I didnt want to be there. I sorta have a straight face the entire time, my face doesn't look scary I'm just not entirely sure how people are getting sad, depressed or doesn't want to be there. Here's a couple of candid photos.

Spaced out aspie...

Theres my friend whos also aspie...

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 3:35 am

I actually find any excessive display of emotion of any kind scary and uncomfortable and your second picture is exactly the kind that will do this.

Maybe it is partly the fact that it is so blatantly false that makes the feeling worse.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 5:02 am

swbluto wrote:
I noticed that Joe90 noticed that many people stared at her and gives her negative attention and she seems to suspect that it's due to her face or something. I know that aspies are known to have a "flat facial expression" and I was wondering if there was a readily identifiable "aspie face" that neurotypicals can readily identify and react to accordingly?

I don't really know if I'm aspie, but I swear there must be something about my facial expression that attracts negative attention as my body language is the "confident type" that I've purposely practiced and I don't think people would target people who portray confidence (Of course, I might just lack social insight and I might actually have hostile body language.), unless some envy confident people or interpret "confident body langauge" as being stuck-up/snooty. The faces of schizophrenics probably is similar to those with autism, as they also have the "flat affect" or "blunted affect" which is similar, so I might actually have a schizophrenic facial expression and people find it "revolting" or something like that.

You know that's how some neurotypicals operate, like bullies, they just need to identify some characteristic that indicates you're an "outsider" and they purposely target you accordingly because it's a way of suppressing you to discourage you from participating in the social sphere and, subsequently, keeping you from passing on your genes or so I've heard from Paul Coojimans (The deepest purpose of bullying is to try to keep people from adding their genes to the future gene pool.).

Ooh, a thread about me :D

I used to think it was because I don't pluck my eyebrows, but I even got stares when I had sunglasses on which covered up my eyebrows completely, so it wasn't that. Then I thought it might be my stooped figure, but I notice a lot of people with a similar figure to mine walk around like that (I have small shoulders and slightly underweight). I've been told that my posture isn't unsusual. I know it's nothing to do with my clothes because I went out and brought a coat what's in fashion in girls at the moment, and I wore skinny jeans and boots with it, which are what I see others wearing. But I still got funny stares, so yes I'm guessing it must be something in my face. I have to have my mouth open a bit sometimes because I have bad sinuses so I have difficulties breathing through my nose. (Surely people don't want me to die!!) Somebody told me that everybody has a blank expression when they're on their own, especially if they're not feeling any emotion inparticular, just thinking what to get in the shops - or probably not thinking at all. I think all the time, and usually when I think, I show some sort of expression (I've been told I do).

But I still think I either grow another head when I'm out, or it's just something about me what makes them gawp at me. It's probably the latter, because sometimes I check to see if I have grown another head and I don't see one.....

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 5:29 am

I'm pretty sure there is an "Aspie default facial expression". It looks wrong because it is totally relaxed. In my teens, I started noticing that NTs have a "default" that is not relaxed, they keep some of their facial muscles in action, immobile, but slightly tensed, such as the area around the mouth: the lips are "held" straight and slightly up at the corners, not a smile, not any expression at all, just not "slack".
Around that age I started working on a "default NT face", and it involves tensing your cranial (temporal maybe?) muscles backwards, pulling the skin of your face back a bit, and it makes you look more open, less sad, and basically, though expressionless, more "normal".
Try practicing this and see if it works, I got a lot less "smile, dammit!!" from strangers when i did this, although I was still not smiling at all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 6:08 am

my aspie face. is it aspie enough?