Page 2 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Nov 2011, 7:13 pm

I don't know how much I weighed, but I was three months early.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 7:23 pm

On time and fat.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2011, 7:39 pm

I was born on my due date. I weighed 7 lbs and 13 oz. Apparently, the first thing the doctors said after removing me from my mother's womb was, "Now that's a good sized baby," even before announcing,"It's a girl!"
My birth was not without complications, however. I was transverse (sideways) and I wouldn't shift to the correct position. For that reason, the doctors had to perform a C-section. They couldn't do the bikini cut (I think that's what it's called -- too lazy to look it up) that was standard for that time, because my position precluded that. They had to cut through muscle, causing a herniated muscle in my Mom's stomach.
I was a colicky baby, and I cried a lot. Otherwise, my development was pretty normal during my first year of life, according to my parents. However, I am their only child, and they had no real basis for comparison.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

i was 3 weeks premature

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:14 am

I was 3 weeks premi, I dont know my birth mass but i was tiny. I was approximately the size of a shoe, AU Size 5-6 Woman's shoes.
I was the tiniest baby in the whole hospital. Also had the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck.
I read recently that small babies who had a lack of oxygen when in the womb are more likely to have aspergers (As that is what i was researching at the time).

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

My daughter was born premature, (3 weeks), I went into labour also at 32 weeks but it was stopped. My daughter is dx with ADD and GAD but I suspect ASD.

My son was born 2 weeks over due, big baby was due to be induced on the day he was born. He is dx with AS, ADHD, OCD.

I was premature and a very small was in a incubator for sometime. I don't have a dx but do feel that I am on the spectrum. Whilst researching to understand found so much about myself also.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

I was born 4 days after my due date, weighing 7lb 2oz. But, my mum was hospitalised several times when she was pregnant and each time was told that she was going to miscarry.

My daughter was born 4 days before her due date, weighing 7lb 10oz. I had no problems whatsoever during my pregnancy. The only problem was with getting pregnant - it took 8 years and a shot at IVF.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

I was actually late, about three weeks. I did have a very traumatic birth, though (which I will not go into detail because it was pretty bad).

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 9:51 pm

I was born four months early at 26 weeks, weighing in at 1 lb 9oz, and spent the remaining four months until my original intended due date in an incubator. At one point or another I had hole in the heart, brain bleed, and a collapsed right lung. I was on a ventilator until almost a year old, so it's fairly impossible to say which, if any of those things caused my AS. I did read in a book about autism that a suspected cause might be premature birth, but it was only the one line and didn't go into any detail.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 10:26 pm

My understanding is I was born early with complications including a screw up with my mom's pain medication that affected me and I had a breathing problem. I had to come out with a C-section.

I had lingering developmental issues including a diagnosis I would have Cerebral Palsy and muscle weakness. I have vague memories of drawing lines between 2 other narrow lines to see if I could draw straight or walking between some kind of balance beam bars.

It seems accepted I somehow overcame the physical problems through therapy, though I'm here wondering if I have AS or some other lingering personality quirk.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm

I was born three weeks early and was on the smaller end of normal size. I was 6 lbs 10 oz or something like that. I don't know if that had anything to do with AS because my NT sister was also born three weeks early and had nearly the same birth weight as I did.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 11:29 pm

I have yet to be diagnosed, but I was born six weeks early.

Quote:
Infants born prematurely often have trouble breathing since the lungs are the last organ to develop in the womb. They also often suffer from eye problems (I forget the exact reason why but the eyes don't start working much til after birth as there's nothing to see in the womb as it's dark in there).

Yes on both counts here.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2012, 4:40 am

I was nearly 11pounds, so suspect not early. Don't think my mother was given a specific due-date.
"due date" for birth is just an estimate based blindly (in my experience) on the female cycle... rather than on when pre-conception sex took place. As a result many people round here experience births that are up to 10 days "late".

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2012, 2:03 pm

Interesting.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2012, 2:05 pm

http://www.boston.com/news/health/blog/ ... st_13.html

Boston Medical Center, Boston University
Premature babies more likely to score positive on autism checklist

Babies who are born more than three months early are up to three times more likely than other children to show symptoms of autism when screened using a standard checklist, Boston researchers report. The higher rate persisted even after excluding visual, motor, hearing, and cognitive impairments that are common in premature babies.

The 988 children in the study had not been diagnosed with autism, but they showed signs of the disorder according to a screening tool used by pediatricians for children who are 16 to 30 months old. The checklist asks whether a child points at an object to show interest, for example, or how good their hearing is.

Among children in the general population, the rate of positive scores is 5.7 percent. Among children in the study, who were born after less than 28 weeks of pregnancy, the rate was 21 percent. After children with disabilities were removed from the analysis, the rate was 16 percent.

"We're not implying that it's prematurity that causes autism," lead author Dr. Karl Kuban, chief of pediatric neurology at Boston Medical Center, emphasized in an interview. "They may hare a common risk that leads to both, but it's not that one causes the other."

Pediatricians should be aware that children who have handicaps may score positive on the autism checklist without having autism, he said. Autism is diagnosed after a more rigorous evaluation, but because early detection helps children get treatment that can help them, screenings are recommended.

In general, 0.6 percent of children are diagnosed with autism, about one-tenth of the number who score positive on the checklist.

The study appears in the Journal of Pediatrics . Follow-up studies of the children in the study are needed, Kuban said.

"If it turns out these children do go on to have autism much more often than we would expect, it does beg the question of why that should be and it offers us an avenue of study," he said.

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

I was a normal baby born 3 days late, but I got clamped with forceps. I'm a sperm donor baby.