Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Blue_and_Orange
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

I'm not sure how much the college section is used, so I will post my revelation here in addition to there. I just realized why I hate this semester so much. In a nutshell, I'm too stupid for school.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 7:08 pm

Don't be so down on yourself.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2011, 7:11 pm

Maybe the problem is you think you're too stupid for school.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 7:37 pm

Doing well in school has about as much to do with intelligence as Uwe Boll has to do with good movies. It's amazing how many brilliant people do horribly in school.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

Did you know that one of the greatest minds of all time was also considered stupid for school by his teachers because he was stuck learning things he had no interest in?

He went on to discover gravity...and it now forms a great deal of the basis of what we come to understand about everything we know today.

In case you were wondering, it was Sir Isaac Newton :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:17 pm

You're not stupid at all.

Blue_and_Orange
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2011, 9:38 pm

Thank you to all who commented. I think the main problem is, when I have classes taught by actual professors, I'm more likely to fail. When I have classes taught by graduate students, I'm more likely to pass. That's a problem because graduate students teach mostly gen. ed's.

Professors:

1) are much, much more vague than graduate students,

2) don't write their main ideas on the board or type them in powerpoint nearly as much as graduate students,

3) are unlikely to create study guides for tests, whereas graduate students often do, and

4) require students to do much, much more textbook reading and whatnot outside of class than graduate students require.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 9:43 pm

Hmmm...that's odd. I thought school was too stupid for me.

College seemed completely remedial, more interested in making me jump through seemingly pointless hoops than it was in getting me to learn anything useful.

MikeB2of10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2011, 9:50 pm

Tape records were helpful to me with those types of guys. Also, at big universities, if the guy teaches the class a lot, you can sometimes find pre-done notes for the class as professors rarely change.

Blue_and_Orange
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2011, 9:57 pm

@ MikeB2of10 I have a digital voice recorder, but if they're too vague in the first place, I don't think my voice recorder will help. Also, I would say my school size is on the lower end of medium, if not small, so it's hard to find pre-done notes. Lastly, most of the classes aren't gen. ed., so they can easily change.

MikeB2of10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm

True, sometimes it helps me to listen to it a few times and try and fill in what he or she is not saying. The other possibility is that you might find another student who makes good notes that you could copy....I know another challenge there given the people we are, but I've done that myself as well. Usually they want money or to trade a favor for that right, but its a possibility.

Blue_and_Orange
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm

That might work.

Blue_and_Orange
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2011, 10:41 pm

I'm getting ready to log off, so if you comment tonight, I'm not ignoring you.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 12:08 pm

You're not stupid because I'm more stupider than anyone else here (I'm too stupid for an Aspie). I bet if I met you, you would seem smarter than you think. I'm not, and I have evidence by other people's reactions. And I'm good with knowing other people's reactions.

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

I do not think you are stupid. Professors are further removed (in time and status) from the current student population than grad students, who can still remember what it's like to start out so might be more helpful, clearer etc.

That said, surely even professors must have office hours? You may not like doing this but the more you are prepared to speak to them, the more they will be prepared to help you. Unless they're making their stuff up on the hoof they will have lecture notes from which they lecture which they might be prepared to give you?

Blue_and_Orange
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2011, 4:45 pm

Thanks readingbetweenlines, I'll try that.