Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 1 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 11:26 pm

Whatever happens, I'm open for any volunteer work -- preferably those that can be done miles away from where the convention is. :)

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm

Does wrongplanet have a google+ page yet?

Very good for networking and such!

Nevermind....found ya!

freewaydog
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Nov 2011, 12:03 am

I would like to go but it is a question of getting ppl to go w/ me, I cannot travel all the way to the west coast myself.....

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 12:09 am

Very cool idea. Pragmatically, I'm wondering how big the potential attendance is, however. What fraction of the membership would be interested, narrowed further by who could afford it (scholarships can't cover everyone, I suspect), narrowed further by who can schedule vacation those actual days, and finally narrowed by who makes that final choice to prioritize the event. Any good way to survey that?

While I am no fan of Vegas, I do think you can get cheap flights to Vegas from almost anywhere. Same with LA; not my first choice vacation spots, but I can see why they would work logistically.

I don't have good fundraising contacts for this type of event, unfortunately. All my fundraising had a local geographic angle. I do know the golden rule, however: sell positive, and know what's in it for the donor (they're usually looking for advertising or PR).

freewaydog
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Nov 2011, 12:13 am

SC_2010 wrote:
Does wrongplanet have a google+ page yet?

Very good for networking and such!

Nevermind....found ya!

I found their google+ page, too, but I can't post on it tho.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 12:23 am

sunshower wrote:
Talent showcase (already suggested). Music jamming sessions, art sessions. It would be cool if people skilled in certain fields could actually run workshops to teach some basic skills to everyone else. Social events are probably a good idea, as mentioned. Aside from a "Singles Ball" - perhaps a games night or something similar (ideally family friendly, singles friendly, and couples friendly)? Another idea could be organized voluntary excursions - we did those for O'Week in college and they worked out really well. Like, everyone who was interested could go to see a particular attraction, or go to the beach/ice-skating/something.

If we were all in LA it would be nice to organize to go visit the local attractions and that sort of thing.

Wow! Better and better!

There is so much talent and enthusiasm from all over the world here on these forums. If we all put our minds together and work hard, there's no limit to what we could do.

I really like the idea of showcasing talent, having speakers, workshops, and special interest groups.

I think if we got organizations involved, we could put together sponsorships and funding. Perhaps those who really want to go could be given a list of participating sponsors. They could then submit essays or videos explaining why they NEED to be there, what they can bring to the table, and what they hope to get out of the experience.

By working hard individually towards a collective goal (easier said than done, I know) we can really knock this out of the park!

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

16 Nov 2011, 12:34 am

I agree, we should have this during the summer so people can get some time off (and the younger members don't need to catch up in school ;)).

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:14 am

lemme know what you need, i am totally on board!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:26 am

It's really great that you are working on getting sponsors for autistic people to attend that cannot finance the trip on their own, the cost of other planned autistic events, has been a deterrent for most to have an opportunity to attend.

I also like the fact that it is open to everyone family and parents, and it appears that the political/activism stuff isn't restricting the event. Just a fun get together where people can enjoy meeting other people, enjoy activities, and events.

Sounds like a great idea, that many will enjoy.

My only suggestion is Hollywood and Las Vegas might be a little intimidating for some people. A more laid back but special place in the mountains, the beach, or other place that would not as likely overwhelm the senses of those not accustomed to the atmosphere of Las Vegas or Hollywood.

Maybe several locations could be suggested and people could vote on them. I could be wrong, Las Vegas or Hollywood might not be that intimidating to the people that are actually interested in going to the event.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:30 am

hyperlexian wrote:
lemme know what you need, i am totally on board!

Start by spreading the word. Let's get a buzz going. Then we need to start organizing. Alex has a ton of great ideas, and I'm a marketing junkie. I'll be sending out a lot of emails. At this point, practical suggestions, word of mouth, dedication, and enthusiasm are going to be our key ingredients. It shouldn't be difficult to get major organizations on board. Location and timing will be essential.

Keep spreading the word and throwing out ideas!

BN1111
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2011, 3:20 am

Fantastic idea!!

If you're open to suggestions, may I suggest having the initial event be a bit shorter than a week - maybe a weekend event (Friday night - Sunday)? The reason being that I can imagine many of us on the spectrum may not feel comfortable being away from home for an entire week - especially when we don't know what is in store. The smaller event will create a buzz when attendees enjoy themselves and share (on WrongPlanet and elsewhere) how awesome it was, creating momentum and anticipation for the next event, which could potentially b bigger and better each time (annual?!). :^)

Also, a week of accommodation fees can be pretty overwhelming, especially when one doesn't know what to expect from the event. Once buzz gets out, this shouldn't be an issue.

My other suggestion (and this is based on my humble opinion of course), is that instead of hosting the event in Vegas or Hollywood (which tend to be a bit dodgy/overwhelming for many of us on the spectrum) is to maybe host the event at a destination which has a variety of atmospheres - such as Santa Monica, CA. I know there is a Doubletree Hotel in Santa Monica which has reasonably priced rooms and conference rooms and is walking distance to the Pier/beach (for those needing to get away for a bit, play video games, etc.) and the 3rd Street Promenade (for dining, shopping, or movies). It's a very safe area for those that need to get out and walk and get away when need be and an easy trek from LAX for those flying in from out of the area.

Again, love the idea and am in full support!! ! :^)

Visit me here: http://brandynightingale.blogspot.com
Or here: http://www.facebook.com/everythingshunkydory
Or on Twitter: @bnightingale11

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:47 am

Sounds like a good excuse to cross the pond if I can get it together (Documents etc & air fare).

:)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 5:20 am

I like it.

Someplace east of the Mississippi would be better for me too, but we have a lot of members in Australia/New Zealand.

- Emerson

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 5:55 am

Hey Alex, as long as it's not in the Imperial Palace in Vegas, I'm probably in, lol.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 9:10 am

I live in Atlanta, but I'd like to go. I may or may not be able to.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

Awesome idea, though. And I agree with the people who say it should be during Summer so more people could possibly attend (myself included, as I'm a student.)