Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you take pride in your autism/asperger's?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 39 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 62

Z35TYL3M0N
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2011, 7:47 pm

I'm happy to make this 50/50. Of course I don't take pride in it.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2011, 7:56 pm

artrat wrote:
Shame! I can't look people in the eye and I can't get past a job interview. I have no Friends and will probably never be in a relationship. I blame this on aspergers.
The aspies that chose pride probably have a talent or wrote a book about autism. I don't understand math,science or computers and have no talent.

Yeah but the reason you probably don't have friends and relationship is society,not asperger's syndorme itself.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:
Shame! I can't look people in the eye and I can't get past a job interview. I have no Friends and will probably never be in a relationship. I blame this on aspergers.
The aspies that chose pride probably have a talent or wrote a book about autism. I don't understand math,science or computers and have no talent.

Yeah but the reason you probably don't have friends and relationship is society,not asperger's syndorme itself.

No, society doesn't cause the impairments; Asperger's does.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:05 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Well, for a start, for making it difficult for us to read people and know how to deal with them.
How would society cause that? Did they all get together and decide to change their body language when we're around just to confuse us?

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2011, 8:07 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Well, for a start, for making it difficult for us to read people and know how to deal with them.
How would society cause that? Did they all get together and decide to change their body language when we're around just to confuse us?

I don't have this difficulties.Also it's like saying it is right to bully you,and you should even feel happy if you are bng bullied.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

I don't have this difficulties.Also it's like saying it is right to bully you,and you should even feel happy if you are bng bullied.

Then what is causing your social difficulties?
If you don't have them, you don't have Asperger's.
Why can't you just go be normal if you aren't impaired? Neurotypicals manage to deal with society and fit in. If you can't, why is it society that has the problem?

And no, I'm not saying that it is right to bully anyone, and I have no idea how you got that out of what I said. There's a difference between bullying someone and simply not wanting to be their friend/romantic partner.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Why can't you just go be normal if you aren't impaired? Neurotypicals manage to deal with society and fit in. If you can't, why is it society that has the problem?

And no, I'm not saying that it is right to bully anyone, and I have no idea how you got that out of what I said. There's a difference between bullying someone and simply not wanting to be their friend/romantic partner.

Well,some things are simple and common sense.If they treat you like crap because you are different,which i don't know if it is bad(being different),is unfair to you because it was not something of your power.If they were more tolerable and acceptant there would be no problems for you(i mean some or many aspergian's).

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:30 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Well,some things are simple and common sense.If they treat you like crap because you are different,which i don't know if it is bad(being different),is unfair to you because it was not something of your power.If they were more tolerable and acceptant there would be no problems for you(i mean some or many aspergian's).

But not being your friend isn't treating you like crap. It's their right.
People treat me decently. I still have plenty of problems.
Explain that, please.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2011, 8:34 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Explain that, please.

Well.i know it is their right nut it maybe also something that can be classified as bad behavior if you want to be friends with some persons and do your best while they may ignore you.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:37 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Explain that, please.

Well.i know it is their right nut it maybe also something that can be classified as bad behavior if you want to be friends with some persons and do your best while they may ignore you.

How is it bad behaviour? Should they force themselves to like you?

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Explain that, please.

I don't know how to put it.But answer me this.Do you feel life is unfair?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:
artrat wrote:

How?

Explain that, please.

I don't know how to put it.But answer me this.Do you feel life is unfair?

I don't feel it's any more unfair to me than it is to anyone else.
I also don't think that most of the unfairness is caused by people being malicious, rather, it's caused by humans being complex being whose (perfectly reasonable) wishes will invariably clash at some point.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

I've been back and forth on this. I've been bent on passing as NT (exhausting), then decided I was proud of who and what I was and stopped hiding (turned into a total aspie pride thing), now I'm a bit more balanced. I'm not ashamed of being autistic, I like the word, I feel like I know who I am. I'm not saying "autistic people are smarter" , all I'll say is, I understand them better than NTs, they understand me better than NTs do, and conversations are more meaningful with people who are wired the same way you are.
I still have the part of the aspie pride that says "I shouldn't be discriminated against, just because I have a social impairment". Just like blind people fought for their rights for accomodations, just like gay people fought to not be constantly bullied and victims of hate crimes, I think we are a minority asked to bend over backwards to stop making other people uncomfortable by our very disability.
I still think teaching little autistic kids to stop stimming and look teachers in the eyes while learning to read is like asking a blind kid to learn to form letters on paper with a pen, instead of teaching him braille.
Our disability may be invisible, but it exists. In that, I think we need some level of aspie pride, because not only are we expected to "look non disabled please", but we have a tendency to comply. It's not serving us.
Knowing who we are and what is good for us can help the future generations! So aspies, unite :lol:

Notsurprised
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

I get together with a small group of aspies every month, I been
doing this for a couple of years now. I like the way they think,
I'am very proud to be one of them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Nov 2011, 9:26 pm

artrat wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
artrat wrote:
The espies that chose pride probably have a talent or wrote a book about autism. I don't understand math,science or computers and have no talent.

Why is it shameful to have something you didn't choose to have nor could you control?

I am ashamed of myself and I have aspergers. If I were an NT I would possibly not be ashamed of myself because I would have better social skills

Why are you ashamed of something you had no control over?

It's like being ashamed of being short, or of having a particular hair color.