Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 6:13 pm

Why did they have to play background music and present the text one sloooooooow sentence at a time when I could read a website at my own pace without listening to music I don't like? (I haven't seen the whole clip yet, by the way.)

How is the "Spielberg type" even to related Asperger's syndrome?
"Sociable, often likes sports, somewhat extroverted, has quite a few friends, usually has an average IQ. Spelling and grammar often quite poor. People can be surprised to find that the person is on the autistic spectrum."

Einstein type:
"Intellectual, high IQ, likely to be skilled on computers, excellent grammar and spelling, likes to be known as an expert on their chosen special interest. May become argumentative with others who they feel are less knowledgeable than they are."

Powell type:
"Aggressive, possibly has PTSD/BPD, intelligent, hostile in general, can become violent at times. May use drugs to relieve stress. Very often bullied in school, and feels that they must be strong and a fighter in order to survive in life."

Numan type:
"Daydreamer, often spaces out, finds other people very hard to understand, and finds they are very often misunderstood. Has many dreams and plans, finds it very, very hard to bond with people. Possibly has bipolar."

Morrissey type:
"Fantasises a lot, feels very separated from people, may have a schizophrenia diagnosis, likes art and creativity especially. Feels a connection with other times in history, feels like a completely unique person on the inside. Can often be called 'Alien' by others."

Nicholls type:
"Hyperactive, energetic, extrovert, tries to make friends often, has no trouble making friends, but then finds them hard to keep for any length of time. People may complain that they are irritating, such as family members, or that they are immature and childish. May be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. Likes to talk to people and does not have a lot of social fear."

Caroll type:
"Passive, very introverted, quiet, shy, very deeply involved in special interests, having friends or relationships is always secondary to special interests. Appears calm outside showing little emotion, but can be anxious on the inside. Prefers to keep all emotions subdued publicly. Very likely to be bullied in school, very rarely gets angry or aggressive.

Warhol type:
"Extremely confident to the point of egocentricity. Thinks highly of themselves, and thinks others should too. Has many ideas and feels that the world misunderstands them. Likes to monologue excessively. Often friendly in formal settings. If problems occur, they can become revengeful and bitter in life. Could have NPD traits."

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 7:50 pm

Two reasons for that format:
1. Because it's AutTV and more people would see it if it was in that format (I think).
2. So it's harder to copy/paste and redistribute all over the net.

Thanks for the transcription, by the way! Very useful, I can read it better that way.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 8:50 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Why did they have to play background music and present the text one sloooooooow sentence at a time when I could read a website at my own pace without listening to music I don't like? (I haven't seen the whole clip yet, by the way.)

I just muted it and listened to some of Nobuo Uematsu's music.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 9:07 pm

Numan, Morrissey,Nicholls, and Carrol.

I totally agree that the music became annoying. Oayo! what's the point of that oayo anyway? I just popped in some edward scissorhands.

thanks NeantHumain for posting the types i was starting to get perturbed and kept forgetting which type was which.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 9:22 pm

For many of these Asperger's "types" descriptions, it sounds like a completely different psychiatric disorder is being described. If it suggests the person may have traits of or a diagnosis of another disorder, that's probably the disorder that applies. By Occam's Razor, if all of a person's symptoms (including social difficulty) can be accounted for by one diagnosis, another diagnosis is superfluous. Baed solely on the descriptions of these "types," I would probably not suspect AS in most of them (unless there are things about the person beyond those mentioned):

Spielberg type = reading disorder (dyslexia)
Einstein type = giftedness and Asperger's syndrome
Powell type = conduct disorder; antisocial personality disorder
Numan type = attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, predominantly inattentive type; Asperger's syndrome
Morissey type = schizotypal personality disorder; schizoid personality disorder; Asperger's syndrome
Nicholls type = attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, combined type
Caroll type = Asperger's syndrome; dysthymic disorder social phobia, generalized type; avoidant personality disorder
Warhol type = narcissistic personality disorder

Where I listed more than one disorder, it is up to the diagnostician to do the differential diagnosis and possibly diagnose more than one disorder (comorbidity). For the ones I did not list Asperger's syndrome in, AS is not likely a good fit. Also, people with all these personality types may be psychologically healthy unless their behaviors are extreme (I didn't list "healthy" above, but it's an option for most).

There is a tendency, especially in the United Kingdom, to give any "odd" child or "misfit" a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, especially when another diagnosis like conduct disorder or antisocial personality disorder (i.e., fledgling psychopath) sounds so distressing to the parents. ADHD accounts for hyperactivity and impulsivity (as well as some social difficulty and even hypersensitivities) just as well as Asperger's syndrome (unless the social deficits pertain directly to the AS criteria), so the Nicholls type would have ADHD and not ADHD+AS. There is no reason to dilute the validity of the diagnosis by interpretting the criteria so widely that almost anyone could fit them. That defeats the purpose of having separate diagnoses for treatment and research purposes.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 5:03 pm

One last problem is I doubt these so-called personality types of Asperger's syndrome conform to any statistically validated factoring of personality traits in people with Asperger's syndrome or another autistic spectrum disorder. Until more academic research is done in this area, I would say the personality dimensions found for the normal population are also the best systematic measure of personality in people with an ASD as well. I would also take unvalidated amateur hunches with several grains of salt. We aspies are not the party of the "big tent"; if you don't fit the diagnostic criteria (or come close enough to have recognizable autistic traits), I'm sorry, but you don't have Asperger's syndrome. Trying to combine every childhood-onset psychiatric disorder under the banner of Asperger's syndrome makes the concept utterly useless for pinpointing the best treatment plan and for conducting further research.

If you really want to verify these personality types in psychology instead of making it a Cosmo quiz for entertainment purposes only, you need to get a large enough representative sample of people with Asperger's syndrome and other autistic spectrum disorders. Then you administer a questionnaire asking them to endorse traits and attitudes that describe them. Further validity (especially since people with pervasive developmental disorders are known for not being able to see themselves as others see them) is to have parents, teachers, friends, and classmates answer the questionnaire for the selected individual as well. I am no statistician, but as I remember from my undergraduate statistics class, associations between traits that occur significantly above what chance would predict "cluster" together (you can think of it like drawing a web diagram with traits that are more frequently associated moved closer together). Eventually, you will find some traits cluster together, and some do not. The clustering may not match your hunches.

Hazard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2006, 5:54 pm

I am a mix between Einstein, Numan, and especially Carroll with some traits of Morissey (except the artistic skill.)

Edit: Just read the above 2 posts and I see your point...the Spielberg type doesn't seem AS at all.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 7:36 pm

I can definitely agree with NeantHumain that these AS types are not designed to be very accurate but they can work for our purpose of entertainment like the typical internet personality test does.

Einstein- except that I am not excellent at grammar and have always been weak at the subject

Nicholls- I can be hyper and annoying, however, I lack most of the more extroverted qualities, it is just that I have shown the same social characteristics when amongst friends as those described.

Powell- Likely mild. I do have strong aggressive and hostile qualities when I feel pushed or threatened and have always had a temper and I do believe that I need to be mentally strong to survive. I do not use drugs though, but I do have problems handling stress.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 8:07 pm

1 4|\/| 73|-| |_337 5|>34|<1|\|6 0|\|3

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 9:35 pm

Einstein, Carroll (without the paedophilia), Warhol (without the vengefulness), and a weeeeee bit of Morrisey.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 10:24 pm

I think the "numan" description might be refering to Gary Numan, a UK guitarist and song writer.

Gary Numan
http://www.numan.co.uk/index.html
http://www.autismnews.co.uk/index.php?p ... itemid=136

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 10:27 pm

wobbegong wrote:
I think the "numan" description might be refering to Gary Numan, a UK guitarist and song writer.

Gary Numan
http://www.numan.co.uk/index.html
http://www.autismnews.co.uk/index.php?p ... itemid=136

Or maybe the Gary who made Numa Numa

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 11:24 pm

I'm a Mixture of Numan, and Morissey. Except for the spacing out and Schizophrenia. my Psychiatrist(who prescribes my meds) says i don't have but I was showing some signs of bipolar...

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 6:22 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I'm a Mixture of Numan, and Morissey. Except for the spacing out and Schizophrenia. my Psychiatrist(who prescribes my meds) says i don't have but I was showing some signs of bipolar...

My mother is bipolar.

greyhelium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 6:33 am

Einstein type & Carroll mostly, and a little of the Numan & Powell types.

The Einstien and Carroll types spoke to me and definitely represents alot of who I am.

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2006, 3:21 pm

well I suppose if I had to I would categorise myself as a mix of the following

Einstein 50%

Morrissey 20%

Caroll 20%

Powell 5%

Warhol 5%