Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 12:14 am

lately my dad has been ignoring me or been very cold, i want to be soothed but he doesnt want to sooth me anymore :(

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 12:26 am

Sounds like my dad. Nothing but a loser. He sold me out for my sister because I had aspergers and never care to tell me about it. I spent my entire life trying to earn his respect and all I got for was a kick in the face for it. He an old man now and when he dies. I won't hesitate to piss on his grave.

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2013, 4:57 am

Has there been anything that happened recently that could have caused this to happen? Any painful events that occurred to your family or just him? It's odd for someone to change so suddenly.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 5:42 am

Do you think he could be trying to treat you like an adult? Maybe consciously trying to prepare you for adulthood? If he is a kind of father that has been showing affection toward his daughter, I don't think he suddenly turns into an uncaring father. There must be some good reason, a reason that is in your interest. Still I can't blame you for feeling sad about it.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 7:08 am

I don't know if it will help you or not, but sometimes with my son--who is a preteen, not a teen--I feel the need to...I don't know how to explain it...pull back?...as a parent, not because I don't love him any more, but because he is getting older and I want him to be less dependent on me. He is very immature for his age and it causes him to get teased and picked on, so sometimes I feel like I need to stop treating him like a little boy, even though he is still happy being treated like a little boy. For example, I no longer want him calling me "mommy" and I no longer call him "sweetie" or other cutesy pet names that I used to call him when he was younger.

I am finding parenting a tween to be more difficult in many ways than when he was younger. I need to establish boundaries that will help prepare him for adulthood. I imagine that it will only get harder when he is a teen.

Could that explain your father's change in behavior? Maybe he is starting to see you more as a woman and less as a girl?

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2013, 12:49 pm

As a father, I did start treating my kids differently as they got older, you have to move away from treating them as kids at some point and respecting them as little adults just as some previous posters have already said. hopefully this is where you are headed...

Stu