what are we to people with downs syndrome or something

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 2:14 pm

If we call people not on the spectrum nts is nt a name for everyone who hasn't got the disability you got? Like would the downs syndrom community call everyone without downs syndrome nts including us?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 2:48 pm

They would probably call non-Down Syndrome people “normies,” or whatever.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 3:53 pm

Caz72 wrote:
If we call people not on the spectrum nts

no NT means "neurotypical", so to say not everybody who is not on the spectrum
Caz72 wrote:
is nt a name for everyone who hasn't got the disability you got?

You may call it disability, to my opinion it is more a difference which could be a positive one, but is disabling in the world as it is, around NTs.
Caz72 wrote:
Like would the downs syndrom community call everyone without downs syndrome nts including us?

Downs syndrome is very different from autism. Why compare this syndrom with autism? Do you find any similarities in the form, the way it looks, or the causes, or anything?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 5:44 am

I wasnt comparing anybody I was just using it as an example cos I dont have downs syndrome so am I a nt (neurotypical) to a person with downs syndrome ? I was just asking not comparing anybody I don't know where you got that from :?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 7:11 am

I often wonder if other neurological groups have coined a name for everyone who aren't in a particular group.

But neurotypical means people not on the autism spectrum but it doesn't mean everyone not on the autism spectrum. A better term to describe the latter is allistic.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 8:10 am

i always just saw those who were not special needs as just people. or as caregivers. it wasn't until i joined this forum that i started hearing about "nts". I've been around those with ds plenty of times. i never got the idea they viewd those without it as something other than people.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 8:27 am

A neurotype isn't relative, it's concrete. It doesn't change based on who you're comparing yourself to. That'd be like asking whether a left-handed person would still be considered left-handed if we compare him to someone who's ambidextrous.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 8:46 am

No because you're still not typical.
I find it annoying when ND is used to describe mental illness. I say it for my autism because my autism is neutral but unusual and society isn't geared up for it.
By the way I have social anxiety. I'd like to be rid of it and I medicate myself against its entirely negative effects.

I do wonder similar about animals though. Like my cat. I have a cat who is like an NT human. Very social, a bit manipulative, doesn't like to be alone but can gear any social situation to his advantage. I think he isn't an NT cat. Most cats are a bit aspie by human standards. We have two other cats and they're very blunt, can't hide their emotions or mask them, prefer to be left alone, don't want a lot of attention. They're regular cats. So is he a neurodiverse cat?

(Everyone human loves this cat even though he's horrible to the other cats. He knows where power lies and uses it to his advantage)

Personally, to someone with Down's I'm 'that woman who tried to teach me the alphabet when I was 23 but couldn't hack it because she wasn't trained'. That's between me and one other person though.

The only advantage I can think of with Down's is that they're very affectionate people, always wanting to hug someone. This could get dangerous for them but I don't know if there are many nasty Down's people out there.