Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

I feel as if I'm completely different from other aspies...
I have the symptoms, I'm not very good with communication (however, I do make eye contact now) I stim alot, I have sensory issues, and I am extremely quirky; to the degree wherein "unsane" is actually my nickname. Yet, I like talking to people, spending time with friends, and going out and doing things like clubbing and music festivals. I like and respect myself, and accept my aspergers and see it as a difference rather than an illness, unlike alot of other aspies who have low self esteem/dislike themselves. Self loathing is a theme amongst aspies from what I've seen (however this is just an observation and I realise not all aspies dislike themselves.)

I can function pretty well around other people, and I don't have problems with bullying anymore. There are certain areas where my AS effects me more, for example I need a timetable for EVERYTHING, I am hypersensitive to bright lights, I space out regularly, and I have a pretty bad working memory. However despite my AS, I find that I can get on with people and make friends. I don't hide indoors, I actually get out and do things. I am without a doubt an aspie (I'm diagnosed) but I am so different from others who have AS. I really dunno what's going on. Anybody else like me, or in my situation who is willing to give insight?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

Every one of us is unique. I'm different from most in some ways, like a moderate amount of others in other ways, and like most in a few ways. From watching past posts like the one you just made, I bet it won't be long before a host of other users pipe in identifying with you.

We're not all alike. We're all different in one way or another. Some in many ways.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 2:44 pm

I'm better adjusted socially, and I'm in a better living situation than most Aspies. So that mostly accounts for how I'm different.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

04 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

I'm different from most aspies in the sense that I have a type of incontinence that most aspies or people don't have. Other than that, I live on my own, handle my own money, I have a social life and a part time job.

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

plantwhisperer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

Probably on any forum, of any kind, most of the talk that's traded, is born of a need for support and community.
So, what you're likely to find is a lot of important, but rather negative stuff. You don't usually read a whole lot of references to what is going well for the individual members.

Sounds like you're doing great! That doesn't mean you're alone in that.

It does put you in a excellent position to mentor others. If you're so inclined.
If you can figure out what it is in your self, and/ or your personal history, that makes your present life different than that of the other's you think are not doing as well as you are....
Well, then you have important info. for others, right? What is it that makes you different? As cause, rather than consequence?

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 3:19 pm

As Dr. Shore says “When you meet one person with AS—you’ve met one person with AS.”. All stereotyping is evil 8) Also bear in mind that there are artistic and public people with AS. However as I gather the majority of us unfortunately don't manage to get on with our social lifes too well for a variety of reasons.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 3:23 pm

I'm very different from them in all ways. Vastly different music preferences, TV preferences, video game preferences. Different food preferences too! My preferences in everything are obscure to the point where I can't find any like-minded people. It doesn't feel good to be different to not only the NTs but the Aspies too. :(

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

I'm different from Aspies here. I don't stim, I don't like libraries, I can't read books, I am not a literal thinker, I don't like studying, and I don't know what ''pi'' is (except it's something to do with maths).

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm different from Aspies here. I don't stim, I don't like libraries, I can't read books, I am not a literal thinker, I don't like studying, and I don't know what ''pi'' is (except it's something to do with maths).

I don't bother with maths usually either. The only pi I like has cornbeef in it. I have an auditory mind, everything I learn is through what I hear.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

Well I am more of a social thinker, even though my social skills are underaverage and I suffer from Social Phobia. But my special interests are over people, I like drawing pictures and writing stories about people interacting, I like watching films about people with social lives, I like making social lives on the Sims 2 (that's why I have installed Nightlife), and I like getting to know people and being part of a group.

That is quite different to what a lot of typical Autistics might think. There may be some like it, I don't know, but I know I'm like it.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 4:15 pm

plantwhisperer wrote:
Probably on any forum, of any kind, most of the talk that's traded, is born of a need for support and community.
So, what you're likely to find is a lot of important, but rather negative stuff. You don't usually read a whole lot of references to what is going well for the individual members.

Sounds like you're doing great! That doesn't mean you're alone in that.

It does put you in a excellent position to mentor others. If you're so inclined.
If you can figure out what it is in your self, and/ or your personal history, that makes your present life different than that of the other's you think are not doing as well as you are....
Well, then you have important info. for others, right? What is it that makes you different? As cause, rather than consequence?

The problem with it that even the higher functioning autistics (like me for example) can not tell most of the time where/when/how can they provide some help for other autistics by sharing their life-experience with them without hurting their feelings. Some need more socializing skills, some only need help with more concrete issues with coping. My social skills are rather poor (worse than the OP's, I guess), I can only give practical advices when this is not really a concern.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

Hey, you sound a lot like me in many ways, but not in others. Everyone is different, that's all.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 4:55 pm

Kris is like my best friend on here and I share many of his interests including hanging out with people. I'm a rather social aspie. Like, I hang out with a few different groups of friends quite frequently, mostly my friends in the local furry fandom group and my friends who I play Yugioh with. I'm always eager to hang out with them and chat about stupid stuff like. I'm extroverted and loud, but very polite and willing to listen to people drone on about stuf that doesn't interest me. I think many aspies can become like this if they stop thinking of themselves as aspies and instead as people. Many of you guys limit yourselves by consciously or subconsciously telling yourselves that you can't do anything of the social sort when you probably can with practice.

I love people. I love life.
peace

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2011, 6:13 pm

You sound almost exactly like me, to be honest. I also have a rich social life, and many good friends. I also respect myself, and wouldn't want to be 'normal' for everything in the world. Granted, I've had a lot of support, but I've never seriously considered suicide, for example, and generally am pretty fine. I completely accept my Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis, and to be honest I don't think a lot about it.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2011, 6:19 pm

ShenLong wrote:
Kris is like my best friend on here and I share many of his interests including hanging out with people. I'm a rather social aspie. Like, I hang out with a few different groups of friends quite frequently, mostly my friends in the local furry fandom group and my friends who I play Yugioh with. I'm always eager to hang out with them and chat about stupid stuff like. I'm extroverted and loud, but very polite and willing to listen to people drone on about stuf that doesn't interest me. I think many aspies can become like this if they stop thinking of themselves as aspies and instead as people. Many of you guys limit yourselves by consciously or subconsciously telling yourselves that you can't do anything of the social sort when you probably can with practice.

I love people. I love life.
peace
:thumleft:
You win 1d5 internets. :thumright:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:53 pm

I am different than other aspies too and I think my TOM is better than most peoples, even NTs. I also think I am very gray than anybody else, even NTs. I had friends as a kid and always go to kids houses and ask if they can play. I also don't get overloaded when I go to places but I do get worn out when I have been out for too long. I just want to go home and relax. I can also go to places fast without getting distracted by details. I can block it all out when I walk just to get to places faster and go in my own world. I am not a textbook aspie and never was.