Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:09 am

Ok, in Drama I've noticed that my responses to questions are often completely different than what everyone else's are. Here are a few:

Q: Why do people to choose to become actors?
Someone's answer: To make a lot of money.
My answer: Because they love it. (this is probably one of my more normal answers)

Q: What is art?
Someone's answer: A way to express emotion.
My answer: A display of creativity.

Q: How do you display emotion on stage?
Everyone else's answer: By recalling an event from your past and dwelling on that to bring out the emotion.
My answer: By completely loosing myself and becoming the character (This answer doesn't really seem to be very aspie either, seems a little bit anti-aspie, but maybe it is, it was certainly different from everyone else.)

That's all I can remember for now.

Also, my critics are sometimes a bit odd. In one scene a where a woman reveals to her husband that she is having an affair I suggested that the actress should break eye contact during the delivery to suggest shame, however my drama teacher wanted her to make more eye contact. I guess I shouldn't be allowed opinions on body language, lol. Another time someone was giving a monologue where the they portrayed a compulsive talker, and while many people wanted her to talk slower to increase clarity, I wanted her to speed up to suggest hyperactivity, and my drama teacher agreed with me, so not all of my unusual opinions and suggestions are rubbish.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Your responses don't sound unusual at all to me, and that suggestion to break eye contact for that scene was good. But hey, I'm no actor, so I wouldn't know.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

I think they are fine and in fact very appropriate and smart-sounding.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

I didn't say they were wrong, they were just different from what everyone around me was saying.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

Ganondox wrote:
I didn't say they were wrong, they were just different from what everyone around me was saying.

Well perhaps because you are much smarter/mature than your peers.

MaxPower
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

Ganondox wrote:

Probably because you can see through the BS. Many people don't know what they actually want, they only think they know what they want (and it's what "society" deems appropriate to want).

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

Asperger's can tend to make us nit-pick and over think things that in light of the "bigger picture" aren't really all that important. I see what you're doing with these questions about yourself as along that line.

You're answers aren't all that different from the others. You're suggestions to your drama teacher seem like good ones. Sometimes your suggestions will be used, and sometimes they won't. That's life.

I don't think this difference you see is really a difference at all. This is the kind of thing pretty much everyone goes through at some point. The one thing about this that I can see may qualify as making you "different," is the fact that you're thinking about it enough to ask for opinions on it. There's nothing wrong with that though. It's the fact that you are questioning it so much that seems Aspie to me, not what you are questioning.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2011, 12:24 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Ok, in Drama I've noticed that my responses to questions are often completely different than what everyone else's are. Here are a few:

Q: Why do people to choose to become actors?
Someone's answer: To make a lot of money.
My answer: Because they love it. (this is probably one of my more normal answers)

Realistically, If anyone wanted to enter this field for money, fame, bragging rights and can't truly carry out the role wouldn't be very successful.

A drama student almost has to love it, to be commited.

Your answer isnt at all unusual - you understand why someone wants to enter drama - beyond the money and potential celebrity status.

Quote:
Q: What is art?
Someone's answer: A way to express emotion.
My answer: A display of creativity.

Both these answers arent unusual, and I'd personally say they're both normal and would expect them as an answer to this question.

Quote:
Q: How do you display emotion on stage?
Everyone else's answer: By recalling an event from your past and dwelling on that to bring out the emotion.
My answer: By completely loosing myself and becoming the character (This answer doesn't really seem to be very aspie either, seems a little bit anti-aspie, but maybe it is, it was certainly different from everyone else.)

Stereotypically speaking: Some would expect an aspie to answer this question with the 'everyone else' answer however, again, I'd say both answers are correct - getting right into the part is required.

We're all unique, don't over analyse your opinions - in groups of people most people may have different answers and they may all be accurate answers - group answers are really just a collective set of answers. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

I thought I'd ask an NT the first question to see what she would respond to, and she said the same answer as you.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

mar00 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Well perhaps because you are much smarter/mature than your peers.

Maybe.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Asperger's can tend to make us nit-pick and over think things that in light of the "bigger picture" aren't really all that important. I see what you're doing with these questions about yourself as along that line.

You're answers aren't all that different from the others. You're suggestions to your drama teacher seem like good ones. Sometimes your suggestions will be used, and sometimes they won't. That's life.

I don't think this difference you see is really a difference at all. This is the kind of thing pretty much everyone goes through at some point. The one thing about this that I can see may qualify as making you "different," is the fact that you're thinking about it enough to ask for opinions on it. There's nothing wrong with that though. It's the fact that you are questioning it so much that seems Aspie to me, not what you are questioning.

I guess this is probably the case, but I feel that I say weird stuff a lot.

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

Ganondox wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

You shouldn't think that what you say is weird... Your answers were certainly in no way weird, if anything they were sensible and you are showing that you are truly thinking about this.

Also, weird isnt always a bad thing. A regular answer could be "OMGosh, I wanna be a celeb" :roll: That's not a weird answer, still doesn't necessarily make it the right answer (because you've truly got to be in it for the right reasons).

:)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

Ganondox wrote:

I'm sure you do. I'm not questioning that. I questioned a lot of things after learning for certain I'm on the spectrum. Some of the things I questioned were a lot like your own questions. It's natural to wonder which parts of what we see in ourselves is Autism related and which are not. It's part of the exploration process I think we all go through. I think most of us over think some things, but it's just part of who we are. In a way, I think we have to do it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

Hmm you sound a lot like a few of the art students I know, not unusual answers at all. For artists at least.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

13 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

it seems that you actually thought about your answers, everone else just parroted what the other person said.

Your answers did not seem unusual, but showed that you thought about them.

I agree with the break eye contact thing, unless the character's confession was out of anger (like you made me do this) instead of shame.

It is not anti-aspie to immerse yourself into a charcter...we do this everyday when we are forced to socailize in the NT world. Many an aspie has spent so many years playing the role others wanted them to be, that one day it dawns on us that we dont know who we really are. I went through that in my sr. year of high school. It took me years to find myself completely.

Acting is one of our high points because to us socialization is all an act on the world's stage.

Jojo

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

jojobean wrote:
it seems that you actually thought about your answers, everone else just parroted what the other person said.

Your answers did not seem unusual, but showed that you thought about them.

I agree with the break eye contact thing, unless the character's confession was out of anger (like you made me do this) instead of shame.

It is not anti-aspie to immerse yourself into a charcter...we do this everyday when we are forced to socailize in the NT world. Many an aspie has spent so many years playing the role others wanted them to be, that one day it dawns on us that we dont know who we really are. I went through that in my sr. year of high school. It took me years to find myself completely.

Acting is one of our high points because to us socialization is all an act on the world's stage.

Jojo

The scene was from Betrayal.