Good enough at recognizing facial expressions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Nicola2206
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2016, 6:04 pm

I think I'm ok with facial expressions, so I don't seem impaired in that area. However, my impairment comes from social skills, communication skills, sensory issues and not wanting to disrupt routines unless I get ready for it.

Any other person on the spectrum who can recognize facial expressions pretty well?

AQ Score: 40

SQ: 52
EQ: 5

Empathizing - systemizing mixed test version results

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 6:52 pm

Nicola2206 wrote:
I think I'm ok with facial expressions, so I don't seem impaired in that area. However, my impairment comes from social skills, communication skills, sensory issues and not wanting to disrupt routines unless I get ready for it.

Any other person on the spectrum who can recognize facial expressions pretty well?

I've mentioned this in other thread that came up, but yeah, I'm good at recognizing facial expressions (with a few exceptions like going to a different country- feels like i'm at square one sometimes). Not recognizing facial expressions is not the same as bad social skills they are related but not the same.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 7:02 pm

I think I'm good at it ... til i miss one >_<

Expression is a whole body language of signals. I might recognize an obvious face that doesn't mean what I thought when combined with certain posture. Kind of like wagging dog that bites

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 11:07 pm

I can't be sure, but I suspect I'm good enough at that. I wish I could find a good test for it, I've seen some bad ones. My main problem is that in real life I just can't remember to actually look at faces.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 12:53 am

I guess I don't make an effort to read facial expressions because I find it extremely pointless and i get no information from looking at a persons face at all.

I get by without knowing it, I can't see how it's an impairment.

So I think- if you have other impairments socially and with communication, why would reading facial expressions be relevant at all if you still suck at socializing?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

tatals
Raven
Raven

29 May 2016, 1:41 am

Nicola2206 wrote:

I can. To a point, at least. I'm just like you, same features. I'm not very good with other body expressions, though, so if I miss a facial expression, the rest is just bananas. :|

tatals
Raven
Raven

29 May 2016, 1:44 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
So I think- if you have other impairments socially and with communication, why would reading facial expressions be relevant at all if you still suck at socializing?

With time, I've learned to recognize a bored face, so at least now I know when to stop talking about things that are not interesting to other people, for example. Or recognize a warning when I'm saying something inappropriate. These kinds of things are helpful.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 11:25 pm

I can recognize facial expressions but I am not always good at knowing what they mean. Which is probably not what you meant by "recognize."

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 12:07 am

When I take facial expression tests I usually do bad. There was one I did really good on, but the facial expressions were more exaggerated than the others.

I can't notice a difference between expressions that mean completely different things like telling the difference between a shy expression and a mischievous one.

Nicola2206
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2016, 4:58 pm

slw1990 wrote:
When I take facial expression tests I usually do bad. There was one I did really good on, but the facial expressions were more exaggerated than the others.

I can't notice a difference between expressions that mean completely different things like telling the difference between a shy expression and a mischievous one.

Yeah in my world, there's no way to tell the difference between subtle expressions, like shy and mischievous.

Today I was told I'm not good at recognizing emotions in people's faces, so I guess other people notice this side of me more than I do.

AQ Score: 40

SQ: 52
EQ: 5

Empathizing - systemizing mixed test version results

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

01 Jun 2016, 4:13 am

Facial expressions are just the tip of the iceberg. For me, the problem is more about understanding the underlying emotions that get expressed by other people. My emotional vocabulary is quite limited. The extremes are easy and are painful. So, I try to avoid them, shut them out, ignore them and run away. This leads to attachment avoidance and anxiety, not good at all. My suppressed emotions get expressed as pain, not fun.

It feels like a great big hole in me where emotions are supposed to be. How can I make strong connections to other people when I can not understand what they are feeling.

The good news is that emotional/social impairment can improve with practice, like going to the gym. I hope it works.

I have a long history with this problem. My fourth grade class behaved badly and made the music teacher cry. The class was kept after school and told to write a one page essay on what we did wrong. Most of the other kids were gone after 10 minutes. I could only write a few sentences. It was wrong, the teacher cried???

After an hour, my mother came and took me home. It should have been a red flag, nothing was ever done.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 5:06 am

Most of the time I can recognize the obvious ones. Sometimes I miss the subtle ones.

Wreck It Ralph