Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Zabriski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2011, 9:46 am

I also remember the profile picture. If someone changes there profile pic, I think they're a completely different person :oops:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Dec 2011, 11:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
i've kept my avatar and custom rank/location almost from the very beginning. no confusing who I happen to be. :)

You're Art Carney? ;)

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:16 am

Ganondox wrote:
Unless some has no avatar, I remember their avatar, not the user name. Remembering the user name comes later, after I've seen them a lot, I see them get quoted enough, or they change their avatar and I figure out they were that person. This makes it really annoying when two people have the same avatar, as I confuse them, or change their avatar, as then I don't immediately recognize them. Is this common among everyone, just aspies, or something else?

You are and have always been a crying Twilight Sparkle, Season 2 episode 3.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

Verdandi wrote:
I've changed my avatar and location twice - my first avatar was from a Eurythmics cover featuring Annie Lennox and a slightly modified line from "Sweet Dreams" as my location.

My second avatar was a picture of Anya from Buffy: The Vampire Slayer holding a sword. My custom title was "Strangely literal" and my location was "the other side of the river."

swbluto started a thread asking if Aspies were more likely to use pictures of fictional people as avatars and NTs more likely to use pictures of cute animals, so I changed my avatar to a fictional cat (Miss Kitty Fantastico from Buffy: The Vampire Slayer). Stuck with it because I love tuxedo kittens.

I do recognize people by avatars first, then reading their names. I have been confused by identities before because of either similar avatars or because someone changed their avatar.

I think I prefered Anya, despite never watching Buffy I always liked it anyway based on reputation alone and it having the same creator as Firefly.

My avatar is of course Pinkie Pie from My little Pony: Friendship is Magic,

my custom title (ganon, you'll get it after 1000 posts) is of course because of this http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/37853

My location is from a poem I wrote in my head, I'll never share it since I forget how it goes.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Dec 2011, 11:26 am

Phonic wrote:
I think I prefered Anya, despite never watching Buffy I always liked it anyway based on reputation alone and it having the same creator as Firefly.

I do like Anya. I kind of identified with her because of her general awkwardness and how she was strangely literal.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

I keep changing my avatars, although usually they're on a political/nationalist theme.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 12:42 pm

I'm probably one that will really mess you up. I have several different avatars, but the one showing right now I use more than any. I don't change them that often, but when I do, I may change them several times over to match varied moods.

It's almost like an temporary MPD thing. I've used all of the following:

Matt Passmore (current as I'm posting this, but may be different if you're reading this at some later date and/or time)

George Carlin (when I'm in a snarky mood)

Hugh Laurie as House (when I'm in an IDGAS mood)

Hugh Laurie as Prince George from Black Adder (When I'm in a totally freakish fun mood)

Bill Cosby (Haven't used in a while, can't remember why I did, but quit using it so much because he seems to "teacher-like" I guess)

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

I've used a calico avatar when I first joined here but it kept disappearing. So I didn't have one for a while and then I decided to use one from Benny & Joon and then I have used other B&J avatars. Then I started to use A League of Their Own avatars and then AAGPBL ones and then ones of my son and now Titanic from my favorite scene. Now I am thinking about changing it again.

I just remember I did use one my husband made for me and it was with a character from Rugrats with my face on it.

I am sure I have confused people here. I recognize people both by their usenames and avatars. I have to memorize usernames or else I wouldn't know anyone here. Of course there have been members here I didn't notice for a while until two years later or months later or a year later and one of them even got mad at me for not remembering him. There was even a mod here who I thought was a newbie only to find out she had been here for two years and my my my how could I have not noticed her? Maybe because she had an avatar I recognized her by and then she changed it. That is why I also memorize usernames when I enjoy what they write so that way when they change their avatar, I will still know it's them.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 3:25 pm

I go by usernames.

The year is still young.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

Ganondox wrote:
By the way how do you edit custom rank? I tried going to it in the control panel and all I found was birthday and avatar.

1,000 posts unlocks the custom rank.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2011, 11:25 pm

I always look for the avatar first. It really throws me off when people change them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I feel bad for the people who identify other users by their avatars, because I am prone to changing mine a lot. I'm sorry if I've caused anyone too much confusion.

Speaking of confusion, I used to confuse your (Ganondox's) posts with mine when we were both using avatars of Twilight Sparkle. I used to look at your posts and think, "I don't remember typing that!" I guess it's a good thing that I decided to go back to using avatars of anime characters.

I feel the same away as well. I also rotate my avatars. The thing is that I'm always using something that's Kinks related so people know what to expect from me.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 4:24 am

MrXxx wrote:
I'm probably one that will really mess you up. I have several different avatars, but the one showing right now I use more than any. I don't change them that often, but when I do, I may change them several times over to match varied moods.

It's almost like an temporary MPD thing. I've used all of the following:

Matt Passmore (current as I'm posting this, but may be different if you're reading this at some later date and/or time)

George Carlin (when I'm in a snarky mood)

Hugh Laurie as House (when I'm in an IDGAS mood)

Hugh Laurie as Prince George from Black Adder (When I'm in a totally freakish fun mood)

Bill Cosby (Haven't used in a while, can't remember why I did, but quit using it so much because he seems to "teacher-like" I guess)

I wondered where that user went. Now I know it was you. But, I do notice your name these days too. Your avatar still makes me think of Jason Bateman, even though you told us who it was, in another thread.

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2011, 8:56 am

I found a video a short time ago that examined all the popular social media sites, where they mapped eye movement and where the eyes look and for how long. The most common was always any photo/avatar getting the first and longest looks. So I don't think it's a primarily Aspie thing.

And since everyone's talking about them - mine is a pic of me taken at random when I turned to look at the person taking the pic. I like it, as it really captures "me", and I use it almost everywhere most of the time.

Officially diagnosed autistic. September 2023, suspected since 2010.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:04 am

I change mine quite regularly. I have been complained at for it. :)

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:45 am

^ So do I, but no complaints here - it's good to change after a week or two sometimes, I think.