Exclusion of autistics from school rising sharply in England

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 12:39 am

Exclusions of autistic pupils up 60 per cent Exclusions of pupils with autism see 100 per cent rise since 2011 in the North West

Quote:
he number of children with autism being excluded from English schools has increased by 60 per cent since 2011, according to new data.

Figures from Ambitious about Autism – a national charity for children and young people with autism – show that exclusions of children with autism increased by at least 44 per cent in every part of England between 2011-12 and 2015-16.

This far outstrips the overall number of pupils being excluded from school, which has risen by 4 per cent, with some English regions such as the South East seeing a drop.

In total, 4,485 pupils with autism were excluded in 2015-16. In the North West – the region that has seen the biggest rise – there has been a 100 per cent increase in the number of children with autism excluded since 2011.

Although there has been an increase in children with autism in schools, Ambitious about Autism said the exclusion rate remains disproportionate to their number. Children with autism account for just over 1 per cent of the school population, but make up 2.5 per cent of all exclusions.

The charity has submitted its findings to the school exclusions review, an independent review, commissioned by the government and led by former children’s minister Edward Timpson.

Chief executive of Ambitious about Autism, Jolanta Lasota, said: “Schools are shutting out thousands of children with autism.

"The impact of these exclusions can’t be underestimated – not only do children fall behind academically, but the isolation from their peers creates deep unhappiness, social anxiety and mental health problems.

This and the unconscionable long waits for assessments deeply disturbing. Even more so considering Engnd is the land of Tony Attwood and Lorna Wing amoung others.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 1:40 am

I was at a PDA conference not long ago and it was horrendous hearing parents' stories about how children were denied support and eventually excluded in mainstream education.

My experience of mainstream education so far, in the UK, suggests that mental health is a very low priority for kids with and without autism.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 3:47 am

I live in the North West of England. People here seem to lack empathy compared to other places I've lived. Clearly though from the statistics this is an England-wide issue. This country is being run into the ground by a corrupt government. Disabled people are facing some of the biggest of the brunt of the injustices being doled out. On top of lack of support in education there is constant reassessments for welfare benefit eligibility and people requiring personal care like support workers are having to pay a lot of their income when in the past it would have mostly or entirely been free. I myself if I want a decent support package will have to pay a third of my income when I already spend another third or so on living expenses like food, electric and essentials like shoes.

Increasingly parents are homeschooling autistic children. This government just don't care and too many of the voters are pig ignorant. Schools are having budgets cut and give terrible, unhealthy lunches as well as overcrowded class sizes. Not to mention the private school sector for wealthy people which acts as a disincentive for ordinary schools to improve because all the ambitious, wealthy people can relax knowing their kids get a good education. If they had to send their kids to the same schools as everyone else they would make sure the schools improved.

Feraligatr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2018, 4:59 am

I go to school in the north west of england. Recently I have stopped going to school apart from maths and computer science lessons. I have a good teaching assistant but I don't think that any teaching staff at my school have had training to work with autistic people.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 5:00 am

Same old story, greedy corporates and their crony politicians laughing at the people while filling their pockets. All the time the braying mob in parliament use this brexit fiasco as a smokescreen to run the country into the private ownership of their best buddies. It's about time everyone stopped paying their taxes until they realise we are not just puppets.