Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Antonela04
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2019, 5:49 pm

What's an echolia? I've heard some people on the spectrum say that they have one. But idk what it is. Can anyone help me?

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2019, 11:42 pm

Echolalia can occur with autism, but a person doesn't have to be autistic to have it. It is the immediate or delayed repetition of what another person says. I had it when I was a kid, so back then if someone asked me "How old are you?" I'd immediately repeat "How old are you?" out loud before I answered with my age. I did it because I'm autistic and have difficulty in processing speech when I hear it. If I said the words myself, I could understand them better.
Over time I learned to just silently repeat things inside my head when I needed to. I still have times when understanding speech is really hard. For this reason I like to turn on the Closed Captions when I watch movies or DVDs. There's an article right on Wikipedia about echolalia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echolalia

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 5:20 pm

Echolalia is probably more relevant to children with speech delays (autistic and other) as it relates to a delay in processing language when hearing what somebody said to them and then repeating it.

My daughter stopped doing this around 8 yrs of age but as a child it helped her to process what somebody was saying/asking