Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

I remember things through my own eyes, from my own POV. I don't feel the emotions connected to a scene (unless I can relive the memory flashback style). I can remember factually what I felt and what I experienced internally but it is not something I can feel again just by recalling the incident.

I store memories by association, not by linear time. I associate similar experiences or I associate memories that fall under a certain category. If I remember things that happened in a particular job, it is hard for me to figure out what non-job memories correspond to the same time frame. A category could be something like "conversations with person x" and I remember them almost as if it was just one long conversation, not several different ones that happened over time. When I am involved in an activity it brings up all my other memories of that activity by association, so it feels almost like one continuous "forever" experience.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 9:09 pm

puff wrote:
This topic gets better and better... you mean some people see memories from first person? I've always had a third person view in my memories. I'll have to research this right/left brain memories thing.

Please share what you find, puff. I'm really interested in this and hope to be able to dig in more too.

-- Emerson

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 9:17 pm

dianthus wrote:
I store memories by association, not by linear time. I associate similar experiences or I associate memories that fall under a certain category. If I remember things that happened in a particular job, it is hard for me to figure out what non-job memories correspond to the same time frame. A category could be something like "conversations with person x" and I remember them almost as if it was just one long conversation, not several different ones that happened over time. When I am involved in an activity it brings up all my other memories of that activity by association, so it feels almost like one continuous "forever" experience.

That is really interesting how your mind strings those together that are in the same category.

I have a feeling attached to memories of places and people that is like warm/cold, friendly (yes) or bad (no)

When I see something I haven't seen for a long time, or come upon a person I haven't seen for a long time, my brain doesn't give me a name or a place I know them from or even a memory - first it gives me one of those feelings. warm, cold, yes, no. I've nearly blurted out more than once - "Oh Hi! Warm! Friendly!" and have at times overreacted with a huge smile and a big Friendly when it turned out to be someone I just saw alot because they're a cashier or something - not someone I know personally.

But that's a whole separate subject - face blindness is a different problem that I have. :P

-- Emerson

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 9:29 pm

earthmom wrote:
I have questions about memory, and how Asperger's affects memory. Haven't done research into this but I would like to, for now I'm tossing it out to ask if others have researched it, have information or good links, or would like to share your own experience.

For me - I tend to remember too much it seems - small details. Not what was said but where I was standing, where you were standing,what you were wearing, what I smelled at the time, on and on. And for print I tend to have a somewhat but not quite photographic memory.

What I'm most interested in is that NT people often say they 'think back and remember something happy' and that cheers them up and makes them feel happy now. It doesn't for me, and the reason is, when I think back to a day I was happy, I see myself happy and I'm even more sad that I'm not there now, I'm here now. And now I'm sad.

If I think back to when I spent time with someone I liked being with and it was fun, my mind quickly compares that day to this day, and I'm without that person, so I'm more sad.

I don't feel good knowing I was happy back on that day. Or that something good took place. It seems all it does it cause a worse time for right now by comparison.

This is not a real complaint, I'm not having a bad day right now, just something I wonder about often when I hear people enjoying their memories. I think back when my kids were small and laughing and it makes me very depressed because those little kids are gone. They're not really gone - they grew up - but the children are gone, so the little people I played with and taught things to and had fun with really are gone. I can't think back on when they were little and feel good, it just makes me feel so much sadder when I think back - it makes it so clear that they're not here now.

I wonder if anyone else feels this way and/or knows why.

Just be glad you can remember things. My memory is crap and I can't remember much of anything. Sometimes I can't remember what I did the day before.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 9:44 pm

earthmom wrote:
puff wrote:
Your post reminds me of a time when I was talking with someone about nostalgia and I said I don't get it. She was perplexed, even bothered by that statement. When I look at photographs of months ago, I might have the thought "I was happy then," but there's no warm feeling to go back or anything. I can't remember how I was feeling, except that I know I enjoyed myself.

Exactly. That's it.

What I have learned from NTs is that they do use photos to jog their memory and they relive that day or that time and it makes them feel warm - happy - calm. It helps them now to clearly remember then.

I remember the *then* very well anyway because my long term memory is very good. So maybe NTs memories are not good and it takes a visual cue to cause them to remember, then once they do they're pleasantly surprised by the memory. In my mind the memory was there all along so there's no surprise.

I dunno - I really want to dig into this more and try to understand why the "remember back when you were happy on that day" thing never works.

It was *that* day, it's not *this* day. :\

Neuro-typicals call it Nostalgia.

nos·tal·gia
   [no-stal-juh, -jee-uh, nuh-] Show IPA
noun
a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.
something that elicits or displays nostalgia.

Seeing a picture, smelling an aroma, hearing a tune or tasting a particular food may produce desirable memories from their subconscious to their conscious mind. Often-times, these memories go through a filtering process in which positive memories are enhanced and negative memories are suppressed. Some may even refer to it as selective memory.

The Autistic memory does not have this filter. Those memories both good and bad stay current in Autistics so we do not get the adrenaline rush Neuro-typicals do; the treat of looking back with fresh new eyes. Also, the social mind that we have developed may not illicit the type of joy neuro-typicals express in remembering.

* just an opinion and should be taken as such.
* edited to say: as compared to Neuro-typicals. It is a spectrum.
TheSunAlsoRises

Last edited by TheSunAlsoRises on 27 Dec 2011, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seekingtruth
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2011, 9:50 pm

My memory is horrible. And when i do remember things it's usually lost on me when or where it happened. I seem to be 'blind' to details and time and place fall under that catagory. Trying to write a resume is impossible for me, I can remember where i worked and what I did and a few people I worked with but when it happened is totally lost to me.

I have massive faceblindness too that really messes memory up as well, I can't stand how often people come up to me and talk to me obviously knowing who I am and I don't have a clue who they are. And I feel aweful about that so i try to fake it, but I'm sure it comes out as dismissive and probably snobish.

I seem to remember things if they were significant and dismiss the trivial pretty much before it even registers in my head, causing trouble with present moment time unless I commit myself to hyperfocus.

But I think a lot of my memory problems and dismisveness to detail is due to years of abuse that I've lived under, I think it's altered me beyond how I would have been otherwise.

when I do have a memory it's more of an out of body experience but most of the time I still don't see myself even though I'm not seeing it from being in myself, if that makes sense.

But again, i have dissassociation issues due to the abuse so my answer is probably not relevant at all.

You are very likely an Aspie

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2011, 9:21 am

I have pretty good long term memory but rubbish short term.....anyone else like this?

I can't remember times and birthdays or names linked with faces very well either....it took me years to learn the names of everyone in my year.

My rote memory is good, and I'm brilliant at remembering facts and figures. When I talk to myself, I'm lecturing someone whose not there on a particular topic, which obviously improves my own memory on it. When NT's say "remember the good times", I can, but more often it is the bad and embarrassing ones I remember and they keep me up at night. There's a really good article Asperger's and Memory here:

The Aspie Memory

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

I have typical Aspie memory. I have an encyclopedic memory for facts, I am a very visual thinker, and despite my exceptional long-term memory, I have extremely poor short-term/working memory, especially when it's auditory working memory. Words go in one ear and out the other for me. My mom gets frustrated at times, because it's still hard for her to comprehend how I have extraordinary long-term memory but can't remember something she asks me to do five minutes after she asks. It IS pretty mind-boggling. :lol:

I highly disagree with that article in the post above mine. I am a whiz at remembering birthdays, dates, and lists. Most special interests DO compose of these facts, so aren't most Aspies geared towards this type of detail? I see birthdays, dates, and lists visually in my mind, as well, so this is why I've always had a phenomenal memory for this type of material.

Nash: Is there a difference?

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 6:05 pm

OddDuck, that's an excellent quote in your sig line.

-- Emerson

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 6:41 pm

seekingtruth wrote:
I have massive faceblindness too that really messes memory up as well, I can't stand how often people come up to me and talk to me obviously knowing who I am and I don't have a clue who they are. And I feel aweful about that so i try to fake it, but I'm sure it comes out as dismissive and probably snobish.

This happens to me a lot too. There is a point where I interact with a person often enough to get past it and then I basically remember who they are but I'm still never really sure if I remember their name.

I remember people depending on context so if I see someone in a different place than I usually do, I have no idea who they are. I try to play along until a person says something that might trigger my memory but they usually end up asking me point blank if I know who they are, and then they tell me.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
I have typical Aspie memory. I have an encyclopedic memory for facts, I am a very visual thinker, and despite my exceptional long-term memory, I have extremely poor short-term/working memory, especially when it's auditory working memory. Words go in one ear and out the other for me. My mom gets frustrated at times, because it's still hard for her to comprehend how I have extraordinary long-term memory but can't remember something she asks me to do five minutes after she asks. It IS pretty mind-boggling. :lol:

I highly disagree with that article in the post above mine. I am a whiz at remembering birthdays, dates, and lists. Most special interests DO compose of these facts, so aren't most Aspies geared towards this type of detail? I see birthdays, dates, and lists visually in my mind, as well, so this is why I've always had a phenomenal memory for this type of material.

It depends. A pure visual thinker may not store information like a pure pattern thinker or a pure auditory thinker and vice versa. And, ofcourse, you can have more than one way of accessing and retrieving information which could determine the quality or quantity of your memories. Also, you have to factor in deficits (from language acquisition to number systems to facial recognition) that may be present in the individual.

Short answer: It is a spectrum. I think that you will find similarities and broad differences (in memory capabilities) within each group of thinkers.

TheSunAlsoRises

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 8:08 am

earthmom wrote:
OddDuck, that's an excellent quote in your sig line.

Thank you, earthmom. I like that Asperger himself said it. I like that he was very much a supporter of the gifts and talents Aspies can have.

Nash: Is there a difference?