Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2011, 8:04 pm

Am I ret*d or something? I am male and 17 and I have ASD/AS and VCFS and I would like to know if I have anything wrong with me but I don't know. At my school people call me Idiot and say that im slow but I don't know. One kid said that he was smarter than I was because how I acted. I have some kind of deppression and some self esteem issues and I also feel dizzy and tired throughout most of the day. I often frustrate people and always do the wrong thing when someone gives me the assignment. I was a junior in a lower math class and there was this one freshman kid who said I was slow or a idiot and he said that he was smarter than I was but I did not want to believe him but I don't know. I get picked on a lot and act like I have poor self awareness. I often zone out and go into a daydream like state where I daydream about soemthing I see or played I don't know what is wrong with me. But people often treat me like if I was ret*d or was crippled becasue when I get picked on the kids who where defending me would talk down to me and I feel like a idiot for when that happend. I think my IQ is at a 70 to 60 range but I am not sure I have never been tested. I have a hard time making friends and I am easily taken advantage of my many people and I don't know it. I am sorry if this is long and I am not trolling but I would like to know if there is something wrong with me. I don't want any rude or troll answers to my questions and I don't want any answers saying that I type good or have good spelling.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 9:40 pm

just because you arnt good at math doest mean you are retarted. I was in the 'remedial' math class throughout high school (granted my school is pretty academic so that remedial class would be regular anywhere else) and I always felt dumber than my acquaintances and friends. Also you said freshmen pick on you because they think your an idiot. No, people do not pick on idiots people pick on people with low self esteem. I have been made fun of because I was fat in 7th-10th grades and had low self esteem whereas there were guys fatter than me but had strong personalities and never got made fun of. Sounds like you have the same problem with self esteem- bullies and ppl can smell low self esteem and they lash out in frustration from their own lives because they see they can verbally assault you and get away without you retaliating. You are not a ret*d you just need some help in the self esteem area In my opinion

Puppygnu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2011, 10:31 pm

Although I am not a psychologist, I am a special education teacher.

My instinct says that you are reasonably close to normal intelligence. I feel confident that your IQ is much much higher than 70. Other, issues such as chronic depression negatively impact grades.

I think that you should speak to a school councilor and request psychological testing. If your parents request testing, then a public school in the United States must provide it.

I have a few questions.

What classes are you taking now and what are your grades?
How many days of school have you missed this year?
Do you live in a rich or poor neighborhood?
Do you have good study habits?
Are you living with both parents?

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 11:57 pm

no

:::)

Aspieallien
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Feb 2011, 12:27 am

My experiences of school were similar for me as what you have described when I was your age. I was led to believe I was stupid by the kids who picked on me and I really started to believe it at the time. Well they were wrong in fact I actually did better than they did in some subjects, particularly science. So don't right yourself off and base your sense of self worth on their baseless comments. It is true that bullies hone in on those they know are easy targets and can locate people with low self esteem at 200 yards. They target low self esteem not low IQ.

If you are feeling dizzy and zoned out you should get that checked out. I had this problem and found it was diet related.

You really need to talk to your school councillor if you haven't already to arrange for testing.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 11:06 am

I suck at math. It took me an entire year in college algebra to understand what the teacher had taught at the beginning of the year.

It could be you are really smart in other subjects, but remedial in math.

Jay27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

Is it possible to have vcfs without any heart problems?
Im 17, male, and undiagnosed.

I have a few of the facial features but i'm not sure if i'm diagnosable because my heart, at least to my knowledge, is healthy. I've seen pictures of others with the syndrome and a few of them look a lot like me. A long middle head, small eyes, small head in proportion to my body, and slightly down-turned lips. A few family members on my dad's side actually have heart troubles, but im not sure if that says anything.
My voice resembles that of some aspies, but much harder to understand.
My iq is slightly above average. 127 i believe, but i was last tested 7 years ago, so it may have gone down over time.

I've been diagnosed with asperger's and add/adhd, but nobody has ever said anything to me about vcfs. I had never even heard of it until i stumbled upon a support website (while researching fas/fae, which i thought i had) Could i have gone undiagnosed for 17 years or am i only insecure about my physical appearance?

Please send me any thoughts or information you can.

Jay27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

To better respond to your post, without sounding like a self-centered dick,

I suck at math too, that and science. I really f*****g suck at biology!! I find that im very smart in other areas, which unfortunately are rarely taught in school. For the longest time i thought i was "ret*d" too, until i spent time with people that actually were intellectually ret*d (iq below 70) and realized that what i lack in speed, executive functioning, and social understanding; i seem to make up for in vast memory and artistic abilities.

Focus your energy on the things you're good at and love doing. Not on what you can't do, or you wont help yourself at all.

I seriously doubt your iq is that low. Like another comment above said, its not your iq that is low, its your self esteem that is.

Im sure a made a few spelling errors. Whatever, f**k it.