Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

Hello,

I received a new book at christmas, about philosophy, and conscienceness. I just read now, - a week has passed already - the introduction of the book. And it just made me again so excited, that I can't read on. It makes me too excited, I can't describe exactly.

Thats really annoying, actually I would like to read the book now, but it makes me so excited... I can't ... I have to distract myself with the computer... i am so crazy...

anyone who can related and has found some sort of solution to this?

thanks,

anton

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:06 pm

I used to get books and not pick them up to read for many years

Sumtimes you are not quite ready for a book and its subject, and intuitively you reach for the title when you are ready

like I have a Graham Greene collective works that I am unable to begin reading even though I try to begin

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

yup, I experience something similar with books or other things I buy. I usually explain it to myself as it being some type of anxiety.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:14 pm

I guess I know what you're saying... like, when I've been anticipating something, and the time finally arrives, I don't want to dive in right away because it just means so much to me. I want everything around me to be absolutely perfect, and I want it to last as long as I can let it.

Not the same?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

I suggest try to read it in chunks, one chapter at a time, in medias res. Look for a chapter that draws your interest the most, read it first, then look for other chapters that interest you. In the end, you will have read the whole book. 8)

Morph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

Yes I really understand what you mean. Sometimes I find a book in a shop and I can't read the scope for the book, my system races and I feel I might faint lol. I always find (for me anyway) to just take it very slowly, read or do whatever it is that is making you excited at a very slow pace. Gradually I sink into it and resume some kind of naturalness. If that fails, I sleep for a little while. I will admit its frustrating when it happens.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

Yes,

I find myself distracted by the content of books all the time. What I've taught myself to do is be willing to gloss over as I read. So as my mind starts to wonder and not focus on the words that I am reading I let that happen until my attention comes back to the book. Sort of the same way as how you cant pause a movie at the theater. If I didn't do this I would never be able to read anything longer than a couple of paragraphs.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 6:22 pm

This happens to me all the time with books and TV shows. I just wait until I've calmed down and feel like I can continue with it. No other cure that I've found.

limau
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

go stim - to release some energy

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm

antonblock wrote:
Hello,

I received a new book at christmas, about philosophy, and conscienceness. I just read now, - a week has passed already - the introduction of the book. And it just made me again so excited, that I can't read on. It makes me too excited, I can't describe exactly.

Thats really annoying, actually I would like to read the book now, but it makes me so excited... I can't ... I have to distract myself with the computer... i am so crazy...

thanks,

anton

Whats the title of the book? It does sound good.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2012, 4:00 pm

Cash__ wrote:
antonblock wrote:
Hello,

thanks,

anton

Whats the title of the book? It does sound good.

hi,

its title is

The Ego Tunnel: The Science of the Mind and the Myth of the Self

I read it to get some introduciton into philosophy of mind.

best regards,

anton

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

It is definitely a type of anticipatory anxiety where you are just so excited to immerse yourself into everything...I get this too, only with music.
The trick is to pace yourself with the material in a way that you can savour it bit by bit, because taking a look at it all at once seems too overwhelming for you to just dive into it.
What you could do in this situation is to divide things up by chapter and date. For example, if the book has 16 chapters, pick 16 dates in which to read each chapter...use sticky notes with each date written on them in order to keep track of them.
Hope this helps!

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

tuffy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2012, 7:14 pm

In my case it's more I wanna wait til I'm less depressed, so I can enjoy it more, wheater it be a book, a record, or a TV show. I do this all the time & of course depression never stops.

Lil_Button
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

I get this with music and food lol.. i have to skip tracks when listening to my iPod on the bus as it gets too overwheming in public!

When it comes to food however, i allow myself to go into feeding frenzy mode... mmmm... :D