What is the testing like to get diagnosed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 12:59 am

I will be getting tested soon (date is undetermined but its in process) and was wondering what it would be like.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 2:06 am

They stick needles in your brain.

Actually, they just ask you questions, and your "answers" are the determining factor. Well, that's what I went through with a few different people.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 4:45 am

As a mature-aged adult, I was given the AQ Test to complete, as well as a two-hour interview. After that, my wife did the AQ Test about me, and the two of us went through a second, one-hour interview. The second interview was strucured around a set of diagnostic criteria.

LetoAtreides82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2012, 4:51 am

one-A-N wrote:
As a mature-aged adult, I was given the AQ Test to complete, as well as a two-hour interview. After that, my wife did the AQ Test about me, and the two of us went through a second, one-hour interview. The second interview was strucured around a set of diagnostic criteria.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

Reynaert
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2012, 5:46 am

Mine also included a very comprehensive IQ test (Wechsler, I believe) to determine specific strengths and weaknesses.
As well as the different question sessions that were about the diagnostic criteria.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 7:57 am

I only had a 2-part interview, for the second part I had to bring my mother with me (even though I was already an adult). They asked me about my current life and my childhood. General questions about hoe I function in society, what I do in my spare time, work, school, etc. Pretty soon I had my diagnosis.

I thought it was a pity they didn't give me tests, because I like tests.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 8:36 am

Several interviews:

- Preliminary interview (me and my parents, independently, my parents weren't needed that time, though) (one hour and half an hour, respectively)

- Structured interview administered to my parents (ADI-R) (two hours), mostly related to my childhood

- IQ test administered to me (WAIS-IV)

- Structured interview administered to me (ADOS) (one hour)

- Brief discussion of the results

Before the evaluation we had to complete a thorough questionnaire (45 pages) based on mainly the ADI-R.

Ellendra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but, I'm trying to decide whether to get officially diagnosed or not, and my concern is what it might do to my insurance rates if I ever have to change insurance carriers. Is aspergers one of those "pre-existing conditions" that insurance companies use to jack up your rates, or worse, to turn down your application? I already pay through the nose due to fibromyalgia, so this is kind of a big concern.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 5:54 pm

That would be good to know

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 6:01 pm

http://turtleisaverb.blogspot.com/2011/ ... sisprocess

(I wrote it up once so I could just keep linking to it ;))

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2012, 6:43 pm

It's a very long boring test. Some questions are super easy a 3 year old can answer them, but some are so hard you have to be some kind of genious. Unfortudently, there's math, one of the things I suck at the most.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 7:00 pm

LetoAtreides82 wrote:
one-A-N wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

If I remember correctly, it was AU$600. It was done through a clinical psychologist, not a psychiatrist.

BWV1007
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2012, 3:05 am

Ellendra wrote:
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but, I'm trying to decide whether to get officially diagnosed or not, and my concern is what it might do to my insurance rates if I ever have to change insurance carriers. Is aspergers one of those "pre-existing conditions" that insurance companies use to jack up your rates, or worse, to turn down your application? I already pay through the nose due to fibromyalgia, so this is kind of a big concern.

I'd also love to know the answer to this...