I am so lost. Where is Asperger's going?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 11:35 am

I am behind.

Will Asperger's be a diagnosis in the DSM V?

I know last year, it was still going to be there but they were changing the criteria.

Now, it's just levels of autsim? With AS as a seperate DX than autism, or will it even exist?

What happens to Aspies? Are they creating a new DX? Lumping them in with ADHDers? Creating a new TYPE of ADHD?

*head implodes*

HDTV...

Whatever.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 11:39 am

AS will just be diagnosed as autism, which it is so it makes sense.

and why do you think they would lump Aspergers in with ADHD?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

Quote:
Differentiation of autism spectrum disorder from typical development and other "nonspectrum" disorders is done reliably and with validity; while distinctions among disorders have been found to be inconsistent over time, variable across sites and often associated with severity, language level or intelligence rather than features of the disorder.

Makes sense.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

Currently there are 18 AS, Aspie & Asperger's, 3 Autism & Autistic, and 1 PDD-NOS threads (rare!) on the first page (among non-stickied).

In the future, all of the above will be under one umbrella diagnosis, ASD. I understand people need labels, and they want to differentiate by severity and some characteristic traits. From the three above it's obvious Asperger's is outstanding. It's a "popular" diagnosis, becoming more and more known to the public. No surprise that it's proposed elimination from DSM-V is somewhat noisy.