How do I tell EVERYONE That I'm Autistic?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fuelred
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2012, 6:55 pm

For awhile now, I've really wanted to tell people I know that I am autistic. I've been anxiously waiting for someone to ask me "Why are you so quiet?" so that I could tell them that I'm autistic. I've had this chance a few times, but I don't feel like I know the person well enough to tell them. I'd feel bad if someone who I've known for years didn't know, but someone I just met did. I want to tell everyone that I have autism, but I want to do it the correct way. I don't want to do it over facebook, and I don't want to randomly interrupt someones conversation and say it. I also don't know if I could do it multiple times considering the fact that I've never spoken the words "I have autism" in my life. I wish there was a way that I could say it without anxiety, and a way where everyone would hear me or at least from someone else.

If you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. THANKS! :)

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:00 pm

Tell everyone? I wouldn't recommend that.

Wheatthins
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2012, 7:03 pm

Yea, I never really got anyone's reasoning behind wanting to shout to the world about being an aspie, especially for people who can cover it up pretty well in day to day life.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2012, 7:38 pm

If you are fairly high functioning right now I wouldn't bother, give it a bit of time to get to know yourself, for me I only "came out" last year but people had known my idiosyncrasies for 10+ years, they knew I liked to disappear in a back room of a pub on my own when it was busy, or ponder answers to questions in peace so it came as no big surprise, I had been also describing symptoms for years, such as super sensitive hearing and problems processing information...

I first told my best friend and he took it quite well and while took him a bit of time to adapt to the new information (not in total rejection mode but figuring out how to talk to me) but now we get on even far better now he knows the reason for my "lag"

Some people are harder and some will tell you to "**** off", but do you really need or want those people in life?

You are at a critical stage in social development, even if you do not understand it fully you have to realise people in your peer group are in it too so they may reject you even if they have known you for years...give them some time to mature...7-9 years should do it :)

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:41 pm

I posted on the social networking site I use most (google+) and sometimes (when I remember) wear a necklace with the autistic puzzle piece symbol on it, modified to be more personal (there's a turtle on it too).

However, most people I spend time around are the ones where its entirely reasonable to broadcast you're autistic, because there are others who are, and those who aren't actively want to learn or know other people who are...

The social group I'm associated with is mostly made up of BAP people, with this, its easy to broadcast, just post it once and it'll be known and even discussed at times.

MrMagpie
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2012, 7:53 pm

I can understand where OP is coming from. When I was first diagnosed, it was such a relief for me and I was so happy to have finally, after 24 years, gained all this new insight into myself that I also wanted to tell everyone I knew.

However, other than a handful of friends that helped provide me with a baseline for comparison when I was being diagnosed and my Mother, I haven't directly told anyone about my diagnosis.. I post to Asperger's Awareness on Facebook, which everyone I know can see, I sometimes share interesting articles or studies, and I would be happy to discuss it with people who inquire, but mostly that urge to 'shout it from the rooftops' has faded.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:29 pm

I have considered this before... if I were to get an official diagnosis I would only put it in one place... in the HR website at work.

I think I would tell specific people that I work with (people who I am professionally invested with in deeply intellectual work, which is about 4 people total since generally my symptoms are the worst when I let go and my brain goes haywire with some sort of intellectual obsession)

But I wont be telling anyone... since I am not officially diagnosed, I would rather keep it more as something that I learn about myself from.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm

I wouldn't recommend telling anyone unless they are a very close, understanding friend that you can trust. I don't let anyone know about my AS except for my family and school teachers who are forced to know anyways. I don't tell my friends or anyone else because I'm afraid that I would be judged on lower standards.

clm22
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2012, 11:12 pm

i wouldnt let everyone know. When i got officially diagnosed i just told my family and thats it. No need to publish your difference :) first thought i got was "please no more confidence building courses" :p

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 11:26 pm

Well you could tattoo "I'M AUTISTIC" on your face. But do it in gothic script so it's tasteful.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 11:50 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
so it's tasteful.

srsly?

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2012, 3:58 am

infinitenull wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
so it's tasteful.

srsly?

Are you saying thats the wrong approach? :/

XD

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 4:21 am

infinitenull wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
so it's tasteful.

srsly?

What? Well if he doesn't like gothic script he could do times new roman. Double spaced.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 7:39 am

Rascal77s wrote:
infinitenull wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
so it's tasteful.

srsly?

What? Well if he doesn't like gothic script he could do times new roman. Double spaced.

I personally prefer courier new for that old school computer look ;)

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

I've only told my close friends ( & a couple of former friends) about my ASD traits. They weren't even surprised, well maybe the Ex ones were. I've also been seen as odd/eccentric but being a poet..
Kind of expected! LOL
Seriously, they've known about my trouble(s) relating to people and I trust them to NOT judge. I don't even mind the odd joke every now & then..
I'm not going to tell ANY employer until I know more & have a concrete Dx.
And I suggest you hold off too.. The World STILL doesn't understand us. Maybe they never will. Do you want that prejudice?

Sincerely,
Matt

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

Its best to tell your family or anyone who knows you quite well but don't tell everybody or otherwise your seeking for attention and looking for sympathy which is a bad idea.