Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jerm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2006, 2:56 pm

Ok, I hope this in the correct place.

I was wondering about my vision.
It sucks.
I can barely see names on street signs, licence plates are impossible from 20 feet or more.
I am constantly squinting to see things.
It's worse at night.
This is bad as I prefer to ride motorcycles over cars.
My problem is that when I get a vision test.
I have such good character recognition they tell me I can see perfectly.
I can't.
Anyone else experience something like this?
Advice?
Other than "just relax and be honest about what you see"
How many here wear glasses or contacts?
Was it difficult to find a correct prescription?
8O

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 3:45 pm

do lights seem to bleed into each other? Like they're slightly fudged? Do you have bad depth perception, find it difficult to judge distances?
I get the same thing, maybe it's the way you hold your eyes when you look, if you know what i mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strabismus

And look at this for a possible natural solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 3:59 pm

Sisters of mercy album

Sixela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2006, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the links, TechnoMonk, I have this difficulty too.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 4:01 pm

I squint alot too and my prescription fluctuates but I am very nearsighted so I think some of this depends on my "mood" when I am being tested. If I feel like I am being overloaded visually than I might do differently on the test. I saw a very good opthamologist before who understood that just because you can overprescribe to correct someone's vision it doesn't make them comfortable.

Jerm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2006, 4:18 pm

Laz wrote:
Sisters of mercy album

Good call.

Jerm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2006, 4:42 pm

Actually, I did have a "lazy eye' when I was 2
It was corrected (?)
Maybe not as wel as I thought.
When I am fatigued it does return.
Something else to look into.
Thank you for the links and info.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 4:52 pm

In my experience its very rare to get a correct prescription in what they consider a "normally" lit room.

My optometrist ended up having to turn out all the lights to get a proper reading on my eyesight and Ive had the same prescription for about 10 years now (probably time to get them checked again).

In a brightly lit doctors office even if you dont notice it aspies tend to squint or at least strain their eyes out of unconcious recoil from the light and it gives a bad reading.

Just something to consider.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 5:16 pm

Jerm wrote:
Actually, I did have a "lazy eye' when I was 2
It was corrected (?)
Maybe not as wel as I thought.
When I am fatigued it does return.

Your Aspie optometrist is in... But can't actually see your eyes, of course.

The binocular vision correction could easily be the main problem, even on the small amount of history you've given.

On a motorcycle the eyes are looking more upward than when sitting in a testing chair, or when driving a car, watching TV... This can make a critical difference in some people.

Look at something in the distance with detail and then, keeping the eyes still and fixed on a particular spot, lower your head.
If vision becomes more painful, unstable or blurred, you have a small binocular weakness in the vertical plane.

It doesn't have to be that, but if it's not been checked it's a real possibility.

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2006, 5:22 pm

I'm having the same sort of problem. Last year I had my eyes tested and it turned out that one eye in particular wasn't good anymore. I was tested bij a machine. I decided not to do anything about it, because I can see things and I wasn't aware of problems with my eyes before I got tested.

This year I decided to have my eyes tested again and they tested them with the machine first, but then they decided I needed more tests and a woman took me to a room with another machine, but now she asked me if I could read the texts. I could, except for one letter and I messed up left and right, so that she had to do part of the test again.

But her actions on my answers didn't make my vision better really. I was feeling odd, because it seems like she didn't do the 'right' thing to correct my vision. I decided not to take glasses right away. And after a week or so I thought that I may have anwered the questions with the wrong intention. Maybe I should have said that I could still read the letters, but they weren't sharp at all.

Now I want to do the test again and tell the tester that I have Asperger's and that they need to give me some time to think over my answers and allow me to ask questions about their questions. But I feel kind of nervous about that. By now I feel glasses would improve my wellbeing, because now that I take notice of my vision I see how it makes me tired and how it isn't sharp and how light is even a bigger problem than before.

I want to be tested again and then I want to take glasses with coloured glasses (?- is this sentence okay?) to improve my vision and against the light.

So that is what I am going to do.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 6:57 am

i have this feeling that strabizmus and as have relations to eachother since the eye muscles are considered fine muscles and many with as have fine motor and fine muscle control problems.

i have strabismuz myself i have had it since i was about 3 and at age 8. i had it corrected in outpatient surgery it did correct most of it but yet i still see double. when i got tested again for eyes because of bad headaches they discovered it was my eyes and dr suggested i have surgery again for the strabizmus thing and i said no because it was painful enough the last time.

when i look at a computer screen i have to use just one eye because my left is blurry and right is just fine (yes i wear glasses) but i still squint alittle in left eye to see distance. (left is eye that is open when using a computer with a tft(laptop) or lcd screen) i cant really stand the use of the glass screens(crt)

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 7:51 am

Yes whenever I visit the opticians I am told my eyes are fine and yet I have all kinds of problems with light, focussing and my eyes get tired very quickly. I came across this site a while ago it may be informative

http://www.visualdyslexia.com/recognising.html

I think a lot of people with aspergers and neuro developmental delay have vision and perceptual difficulties.
Perhaps there are some eye exercises you could do or some other type of corrective lenses.
Normal opticians don't seem to be very informed about the sort of vision problems that are associated with autism, ADHD etc. A few are aware of eye problems linked with dyslexia and have tinted lenses for this but there seems to be a real gap for people who struggle with their vision who have ASD's etc.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 7:35 pm

Without my contacts in I can't see anything more than three inches away.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 8:59 pm

My eyes are generally flawless, though I'm thinking too sensitive, didn't really think bout it much till recently. Until I realised I squint with one eye when its sunny, when its cloudy I can handle the light, but it still hurts... Its why I became a much more nocturnal beast.