Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

Sometimes I do.......it often feels like I'm the one in the family who always needs extra help with things, and I kind of hate being in that position. Not to mention that at times, people aren't very gracious about my needing or asking for help.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

I also have trouble asking for help. It always seems like I should be able to do whatever I need help with without help.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 5:53 pm

I almost failed out of the specialized high school I went to because of this... They thought I wasn't trying because I wasn't asking for help.

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2012, 1:00 pm

I very rarely ask for help, though I am making a conscious effort to try harder.
I find it more difficult to ask people for help when I have asked them before and they have been useless or snapped at me- problem asking for help at work because of this.
I am far too stubborn and independent for my own good. I really should ask for help more often, but I don't, partly because I don't want to be seen as weak and needing help.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

i hate asking for help, even my own parents or my brother. and when i do sometimes i hate myself. but i have to ask for help because i'm terrible with machines and with computers, and i have terrible motor skills, and i don't have enough money.
i try hard not to ask for help. when i do i feel guilty for being a burden, or feel weak and helpless. and i worry sometimes the other person offers help because they want me to owe them and then they'll come to collect (happened several times in the past), or because they want to feel power over me and this is the first stage in dominating (happened, too).
when i think of the times i've asked for help, it makes me frustrated and depressed, even if it was years ago.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

I have no problem at all asking for help. People think I do, but that's because the real problem I have is in KNOWING when to ask for help. When I don't ask, it's because I don't think I need it. I think I understood what needs to be done. When it turns out I didn't, people say things like, "You should have asked for help. Why didn't you ask for help when it's so obvious you didn't understand?"

Well, it WASn't obvious to me. If I knew I didn't understand, I would have ASKED! I don't understand why it's so hard for people to get that through their thick heads.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

I very seldom ask for help. Like MrXxx I don't have a major problem asking, it simply doesn't occur to me to do so.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 7:16 pm

Or it doesn't occur to me or I don't now how to ask it, then my brains are "empty" and I cannot find words to formulate it.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:25 pm

I'm afraid to ask for help, due to the negative connotations that go along with needing help. If somebody needs help, it seems that there's something wrong with them.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

Asking for help requires talking to people, don't wanna do that, do we?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ainsel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

I don't like having to ask for help. I prefer to solve problems on my own, even if it takes a little longer that way, but there's an expectation to ask for help sooner than I think I need it.

TalusJumper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm

I rarely ask for help- I just learned to solve problems by myself. It has helped me to be very self-sufficient.

northbrbrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2012, 11:31 pm

If the asking for help requires one to leave a voicemail, I generally just say "forget it", because they likely won't call back. This is probably not 100% true, but if anything requires leaving a phone message, i generally abandon the pursuit to something less seemingly futile.

I don't have trouble asking people to speak on my behalf when i need help, as having an advocate often accomplishes the task more easily......but directly asking for help i find more difficult.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 11:42 pm

I usually ask for help only as a last resort. I try all other options myself before I usually ask for help. If I do have to ask for help, I'm not afraid to do so. If I get confused about an assignment, I'm not afraid to ask a teacher or friend for advice.

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm

I dont mind asking for help for little things but of course the things that are really troubling I try to tackle myself if possible because I'm not a fan of putting the burden on other people. This will only happen if absolutely necessary and its difficult to do.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 7:18 am

I will ask for help with little things. Washing the dishes, juggling kids and bags and doors, packing up a house and moving.

I have learned to ask for help with these things because I like to help people with these things. I have learned that it is relatively safe.

I do not like to ask for help with big things. Depression, panic attacks, interpersonal issues. I am afraid to. I have been bitten too many times by people I asked for help. It is safer to handle these things alone if there isn't someone I already know can be trusted available.