how old were you when you stopped playing with toys?

Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

how old were you until you stopped playing w/ toys?
10-12 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
12-14 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
14-16 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 45

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 5:24 pm

I really do not have a good memory about alot of childhood things though as far as when did I play with toys. Mostly I was a reader although I liked to play with Hot Wheels cars and had a collection of stuffed animals.

As far as spelling or proper word usage - I also know that I use the terms "their" and "there" interchangeably and for some reason even if I LOOK through a post I don't seem to notice. I just consider it to be a little idiosyncrasy.

SilentBedlam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2006, 5:38 pm

I think I was very young when I gave up with toys, though I always played computer games, and seemed to like constructing things from lego for a long time. I went through a stage in my (currently) middle years of reading profusely. After that, I went back to toys, but the adult kind - lego got replaced with firearms, and stuffed toys got replaced with the imaginary ones I used to talk to when bemushroomed. Though thankfully, I was never non-sensical enough to mix lego and stuffed toys, if you get my drift....

There is nothing about these perplexing and morally insensitive humans that cannot be solved with the aid of a heavy machine gun.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 5:38 pm

I'm 32 on the 30th of this month. Next month, or early in December, I'm going to buy myself that Mettoy wind-up Routemaster that I've been waiting to get my hands on. I'll be playing with her, a lot. She can also be the Mother to all my little Buses of the same species as her. :heart:

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 5:43 pm

I keep two stuffed animals at my desk at the lab, one of them being a polar bear.

One of my coworkers (NT) remarked, "how weird, why do you have a stuffed polar bear here? Aren't you kinda old for that?"
I replied, "oh, I just like it, and I'm trying to personalize my desk space and make it more comfortable for me." I then proceeded to act as though the bear was going to eat her ear, making growling noises in the process.

Then she saw the other stuffed animal. "What's this?" she asked.
"Oh, that's a poison dart frog. I got it from the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina hit."
Then she shut up and just walked away.

8)

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 5:52 pm

Fraya wrote:
*blinkblink* Your supposed to stop playing with them?? :P

No, but it's a common misperception and causes many to abandon toys, games and other novelties and pastimes.

There's massive difference between "growing up", "being adult"
and only doing things that are, on the surface, in the realm of adults.

After 26 years working at a seriously professional job, I now have tentative plans involving someone who is looking for help in expanding his toy museum.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Here's a nice gallery of nostalgia: have fun!
http://www.timewarptoys.com/gallery.htm

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 6:01 pm

I was 14 before I lost interest in Saturday morning cartoons, long after my younger siblings.

- Emerson

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 6:14 pm

I know I played with toys as a pre-schooler, but once I became very proficient at reading, around 6 or 7 so, my choice of toys began to reflect that... Animals, dinosaurs, and the like, that I would create little "worlds" for and use as models for drawing.

At around 8 yrs old, however, I really preferred to read or draw, which earned me the "nerd" label... oh, and Light-Bright (can that even be considered a toy??? It was more of a light-up canvass to me...) 8)

Strangely enough though, when I got to be around 10 years old, it's like I suddenly regressed; I needed my "comfort toy" (the stuffed dinosaur that never left my side) and I liked to pretend that I was a small child again. I know of no one else who has experienced this.

At about 13 years old I became a teenager and put down the toys for the second time. However, now that I'm in my 20's I've been buying toys here and there again, nostalgia and the love of collecting driving my actions.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 6:18 pm

Stopped? You mean we're supposed to? 8O

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 6:19 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
I like to pretend that my stuffed animals are trying to eat my fingers. Does that count? :mrgreen:

I have a small stuffed Cthulhu that wants more than my fingers...

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 6:29 pm

8O

cyrus1874
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2006, 6:51 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
I keep two stuffed animals at my desk at the lab, one of them being a polar bear.

One of my coworkers (NT) remarked, "how weird, why do you have a stuffed polar bear here? Aren't you kinda old for that?"
I replied, "oh, I just like it, and I'm trying to personalize my desk space and make it more comfortable for me." I then proceeded to act as though the bear was going to eat her ear, making growling noises in the process.

Then she saw the other stuffed animal. "What's this?" she asked.
"Oh, that's a poison dart frog. I got it from the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina hit."
Then she shut up and just walked away.

8)

Good reply! I probably would have responded to her the same way. :lol:
I also have stuffed animals (though not at work. I have no place to put them.) I'm 25 Iand I see no problem with it.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 6:52 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
8O

Hordes of the Things*:

http://www.toyvault.com/cthulhu/plush_cthulhu.html

*that was also an ancient computer game for the Spectrum.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 6:54 pm

My daughter had Blues Clues stuff when she was in High School, she's NT. I have stuff animals I keep in my room. And if I had an office desk I'd probably keep a few small ones on it and I'm NT. I mean really....who's it hurtin? I'm lucky I work with children so yeah at 45 I STILL PLAY WITH TOYS..........well.....what a job. I use to have a rubber chicken hanging in my kitchen now I just have a mechanical parrot that repeats what we say when I turn it on........I don't know what happened to the chicken. Lifes to short, we need to just enjoy.

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:11 pm

I'm 17. Still play with toys on a regular basis. Don't plan to have a stopping point.

Jerm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2006, 7:18 pm

Heheheh
Stopped?
I still have alot of old toys, can't seem to let them go, but never get to play with them.
Since I work in the motorcycle industry, my toys just became more expensive and complex.
I could never just "collect" a rare bike (or any other toy) I would have to play with it.
I used to have a problem breaking my own things when I would get mad.
The more angry I was, the more meaningful the object.
Of course I would cry afterwards because I "killed" it.
Then become deeply depressed. (and angry)
I remember the first time it happened- still have whats left of a toy car.
Still have that problem a little.
I had nightmares about hurting my child.
Strangly I think that helped.
Customers bikes are safe.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:33 pm

My attitude toward by toys have been what psychologists call "obsessive-ambivalent". I got more enjoyment out of accumulating toys and making up life stories for each one, rather than actually playing with them. Sometimes, I would line up all my toy cars in a straight line, while barely playing with them at all. (To justify the lining up, I would tell my parents it's a convoy.) The only toys I truly played with were my stuffed animals.

Sadly, when I was 10, my family moved accross the country. I gave my stuffed animals to my best friend at the time. My parents suggested that I take only one of them, but I wanted to either take them all or none of them. Nearly all my other toys went to charity or the city dump. After that age, I lost all interest in toys, instead preferring video games, Lego sets, or books. I still don't know if the move had anything to do with it.