how old were you when you stopped playing with toys?

Page 5 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

how old were you until you stopped playing w/ toys?
10-12 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
12-14 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
14-16 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 45

jukebox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2006, 4:54 pm

I looooved Barbie dolls. I didn't realize until much later that it was, in theory, unusual to still be playing with them at 13 or 14. One day it just dawned on me and I sheepishly put them in a box. That box, however, is still in my basement, and if I didn't feel so silly, I'd happily break it out today.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 5:07 pm

Quote:
and if I didn't feel so silly, I'd happily break it out today

Go for it.. if anyone wants to say anything to you about it just let us know and we'll come beat them up for you :P

Well.. maybe not beat them up.. violence sucks.. but no ones better than me at making mean people cry :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

walbany
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2006, 5:16 pm

I never really played with toys ever, minus legos. I 'collected' Transformers and GI Joes, I just loved getting them and setting them up, best I can remember is always trying to replicate opening scenes from the shows where all the characters would be positioned together in different arrangements. I would set up all the Transformers and trying to perfect their positions, setting them up on a shelf. I played with legos constantly till I was probably 12 or 13, building mostly airplanes or blocks of buildings.

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2006, 6:43 pm

The only toys I remember playing with after 9-10 were rubick cubes and rubick snakes. I played alot of video games for a short while. I read alot of books I mean alot of books two or three a week since I was 10 until I joined the navy at 20 the I cut back to only two or three a month.
Is a microscope a "toy" I used on constantly for years and still have it a 37.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 10:00 pm

I guess I never really "played" with toys, but I did line them up, and I still do it, too. I have never stopped "playing" with toys, and I don't think I ever will. I still line up my action figures and legos and cars and books. My army men are almost always in some formation, charging each other, or set up in defensive/offensive positions around my room. But as far as sitting down and "playing," goes---I never did.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 10:06 pm

I'm 44 and haven't stopped yet...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 12:07 am

I'm playing with a toy, right now. I'm playing with my laptop, and coddleing a Routemaster. :heart:

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 15 Nov 2006, 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 12:13 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm playing with a toy, right now. I'm typing on my laptop.

Oh yeah! That is my most prized toy! I always play with that toy!

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 10:24 pm

I stopped playing with toys, i.e. action figures, toy spaceships, etc., sometime between ages 11-12, but it wasn't by choice. When I was 11, my parents became obsessed with the idea of me getting interested in swimming and their means to do this was to force me to swim whenever my sister did. If I was in my room creating an adventure with my space toys, action figures, etc., and my sister wanted to go swimming, I was forced to drop what I was doing an go into the pool(I couldn't swim yet) when my sister did. I really resented my imaginary adventures I created being constantly interrupted. Sometimes it would be a couple of times a day. If we'd get it out of the way in the morning, I would think I'd have the rest of the day to do my thing but sister would decide she wanted to swim again, so again I was back to the pool.

Another game she's pull was asking me if I wanted to swim and when I'd say "No," she'd respond with "Are you doing anything?" When I'd respond that I was doing something, i.e. playing with my Micronauts, Star Trek toys, etc., she'd go to our mother and say "He doesn't want to swim and he's not doing anything," which would get our mother to come up and threaten me if I didn't go swimming. Even when I'd tell my mother I was doing something and what I was doing, I'd get lame responses like "You can do that 7 days a week so go get your suit on right now and go swimming, you need to get suntanned." Of course, how could I enjoy my playing daily when I was constantly interrupted for swimming.

The fact that my sister could decide my activities weren't "doing anything" also bothered me as well. She would complain about the stupid things I liked to do, like playing, which didn't make sense to me because I'd do them in the privacy of my bedroom quietly and it would in no way disturb her. She like the power my parents gave her over me with swimming I think.

I just wish I could have minded my own business and done my thing in peace, but it wasn't to be anymore. I was a different person when I started school after that first summer of forced swimming. I cannot explain it, but I didn't ever feel "right" or confident again. Before forced swimming, I felt like I was someone, now I was nobody. I still feel the pain of it now, over 20 years later.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 11:21 pm

I'm 24.

I swear that tonight will be the last night!! :? :?:

:)

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 12:23 am

When it comes to most toys, I say about when I was 15 maybe. However LEGOs never get old and I find myself on rare occasions playing with them. I found it as good therapy to play with LEGOs after a stressful month or something. :)

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 1:45 pm

dexkaden wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm playing with a toy, right now. I'm typing on my laptop.

Oh yeah! That is my most prized toy! I always play with that toy!

That's a cool toy! Wish I had one!

I wonder if an electronics kit could be considered a "toy." When I was 13, I took an interest in that sort of thing and decided to spend a summer vacation building one. It went well at first, than of course my mother and sister started interfering again with their never ending campaign to get me to devote myself entirely to swimming. I would be perfectly content clipping wires, soldering connections, etc., then they'd drag me to the pool and even threatened to take the kit away from me if I didn't go swimming on my sister's command.

All I wanted was to mind my own business, do my own thing, and make not make trouble for anyone, but my family's desire to force me to appear to be like others would make that an impossibility.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2006, 4:48 pm

As my parents recall it, I stopped playing around 4-5 years, due to my switch to other interests. Interests that even though I know today scared them, they encouraged.

I tried to understand humour, but the only things that makes me laugh is actually comics. I could read books without pictures about age 5, but could not understand the need of food or personal hygiene, and still can't....

My toys simply switched to electronics, but I still have my very torn favourite doll. I'm not fond of picture albums and memorablia, even though I've been hearing that I'm a excelent photographer, with a natural ability of taking professional pictures. That's weird, since it's a tool for me to picture thoughts, meaned to others. Because I can't translate my feelings into words every time.

Shadylane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2006, 2:47 pm

I stopped when I was about 8 and switched to drawing, reading and listening to music.

Mister_Barista
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2006, 5:58 pm

Fraya wrote:
*blinkblink* Your supposed to stop playing with them?? :P

Do tabletop wargames count? I play three times weekly...with my, um,'toys'.

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 6:06 pm

I'm 17 and I sleep with my stuffed animals in bed. I even use this big plush labrador of mine as an extra pillow. I don't play with action figures and toy cars anymore but I will always be a video gamer.