Connection between Lucid Dreaming and Aspergers?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How often have you had lucid dreams?
Frequently 29%  29%  [ 45 ]
Occasionally 41%  41%  [ 65 ]
Only once or twice in my life 20%  20%  [ 31 ]
Never 10%  10%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 157

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 6:29 pm

Mayel wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
When I'm dreaming, I think they're real at the time, then I wake up all confused, or relieved if it was a bad dream and disappointed if it was a good dream.

That's what happens to me. Those are vivid dreams. After you wake up it takes some time until you understand that it was a dream.
I, unfortunately, have more nightmares of this sorts and it's horrible to wake up in the dark and be paranoid about your environment, realising and reassuring yourself that it was just a dream.
In lucid dreaming on the other hand, you distinguish reality and dream clearly and at every moment. I don't think, I've ever had this...maybe once. I'm not sure.

Same with me.

I have had actually had things happen to to me in real life that were so bad that I thought they might be a dream.

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2012, 6:36 pm

I frequently have lucid dreams because I've practiced it and have become quite good at it.

The_Final_Boss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

I have never had one but I really wish I could do this!

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 7:28 pm

Mayel wrote:
it's horrible to wake up in the dark and be paranoid about your environment

I sleep with the light on.

I've had lucid dreams some but I'm not sure if I've had any recently.

I also seem to get into rem sleep faster than you are supposed to. There are times where I'd fall asleep, dream, and when I woke up not much time had passed.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 8:06 pm

I don't recall ever having a lucid dream.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 10:03 pm

eightieschild wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Just because you might be an Aspie, doesn't mean everything that happens is due to your AS. Have you asked any NTs if they have lucid dreams? I bet they do occasionally.

Actually I have and I don't think any of the NT people I know have ever had one. Im not saying every Aspie has lucid dreams and I'm sure there are some NT's that have them as well. I'm just thinking that it MIGHT be more likely for an Aspie to have one than an NT because of how our brains are wired.

I'll get them now and again. Why now and again is my perennial question. These often have unpleasant story lines ( bad dreams or "nightmares") and hence the need to control the run-away theme by an interjection of mine. Other times I'll wake up, so maybe if I were unable to 'awaken,' then the next step is to consciously and literally step into them.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2012, 2:41 am

hanyo wrote:
I sleep with the light on.

I can't get to sleep if the lights are on. And I don't have nightmares every time I go to sleep so that wouldn't make sense for me.

jcsesecuneta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2012, 3:01 am

I'd say lucid dreaming has nothing to do with AS. Although I can not say for sure because I'm an AS too and to this day I haven't met anyone who get as many lucid dreams as I have.

But then again, my experience is bias, because I can choose when I want to have lucid dreams or not. I kind of learned how to enter in the lucid state when I was growing up - because I enjoy it a lot, peaceful, it's "my world" so-to-speak.

Aspie/NT score: 154:41
AQ: 35

The Hæven of John?: http://jcsesecuneta.com
gameshogun?: http://gameshogun.ws

Add Me: https://frndc.com/~jcsesecuneta
Follow Me: http://parlementum.net/jcsesecuneta

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

I know a middle-aged woman who doesn't have AS but has some sort of learning disability and has a speech disorder, and she says she has lucid dreams nearly every night. She also shouts and makes funny yelling noises in her sleep, and she moves funny too. Not sure if they're to do with her lucid dreams or not, of it it's just to do with whatever disorder she has.

JacobV
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2012, 6:21 am

I used to have them as a teen. maybe a dozen or two dozen such dreams I could remember. They were the most magical experience ever for me.. It got to the point where I could control the whole storyline and really spoil myself with all the dreams and desires I wanted. I got a bit obsessed with it in my late teens and I even looked at ordering one of those lucid dreaming goggles that at the time just had come out and costed hundreds.. never got to it. in my 20's i stopped having lucid dreams altogether.. maybe because i took up smoking, i'm not sure. As we aspies know it.. life is only a quasi reality to us and there is nothing like dreaming to escape it for a bit and feel a different reality. I'm 30 now and I still think back to my lucid dreams and how entertaining and fun they were... maybe i'll spend my next check on new dream goggles lol...

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2012, 7:17 am

I have weird, very restless, half-awake dreams sometimes that I'm completely aware of but can't control unless I properly wake up. They can be absolutely exhausting and are clearly part of a learning process. They're not exactly lucid, but they're not like normal dreams either.

E.g. I've been learning to use Google Sketchup recently (computer aided design programme) and in this programme, when you select an object you've drawn, it shows it as being outlined in a blue-edged cube.

After learning to use this tool, I spent several nights tossing and turning in my sleep and dreaming that every time I needed to move a limb because it was uncomfortable, I had to select it so that it was outlined in blue and then either drag or rotate it to its new position. Every time I wanted to turn over, I had to select myself and rotate myself along the vertical axis. I was completely aware that I was trying to sleep in my normal bed next to my partner. I was completely aware that I wasn't sleeping very well, that I was restless and uncomfortable and that I would be tired in the morning and it was making me anxious. But I just kept selecting and rotating, selecting and rotating to try and find a comfortable position so that I could get some real sleep. I probably even woke up enough to check the clock a couple of times because I knew I wsn't getting the rest I needed.

The thing it took me ages to realise was that I was not an object in GoogleSketchup and that selecting and rotating myself was not the normal way to get comfy in bed. Eventually I awoke properly, realised what I'd been expending all my energy on and finally got myself comfortable consciously and then I managed to sleep properly for a little while (until the alarm went off).

Although I can't say for certain, it seems to me that although I was knackered after these nights, I was also far more deft with the tools on Google Sketchup as a result.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 9:14 am

I've never been aware that I'm dreaming at the time. I wish I could have as much control over my dreams as Callista!

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2012, 11:07 am

edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

I will have lucid dreams once in a while, but when I realize it I usually get over-excited and wake up. One time though, I was able to lucid dream, and stay asleep, while exerting seemingly supernatural control of things. I won't go into the content of what I dreamed about, except that I had this woman for company:

Before her girlfriends were able to show up for our appointment with a geisha, I heard a weird sound. I woke up, infuriated. It was 5:59 am, and completely dark out. My mom called me, only to tell me "I'll be away from the phone today, just thought I should let you know".

Yes, that was important information, and before sunrise was a great time to call, and I did not at the time at all hope she got into a fatal car wreck, not one bit, and that if that happened, it would be terrible if video footage of her demise dubbed with Yakety Sax went viral, becoming the most popular ringtone in Israel and Egypt. Obviously I'm just blowing off a bit of steam, the only reason I would ever hurt anyone is to protect my family. At the time though, I thought I would never get laid, so it pissed me off pretty severely.

But since then, whenever a lucid dream starts, I realize it, become convinced my mom is going to intrude like Freddy Krueger, and I wake up. My mom ruins everything, even sex that's purely in a young teen's imagination.

Honestly though, even if I could do it again, I probably wouldn't for philosophical reasons. Yeah, I'm a red pill sort of guy.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2012, 11:40 am

All of my dreams are lucid. I was surprised when I learned that people have non-lucid dreams.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 11:46 am

I usually become aware that I'm dreaming, but I never actually act on it, nor would I want to.

Drebi
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm

In nearly all of my dreams I'm fully aware that I'm dreaming and many of them are lucid; I am also frequently visited by sleep paralysis and tend to be a violent sleeper (bite/hit/kick, etc., but only to myself). To my knowledge, I don't (personally) know anyone else who shares my sleeping "habits".