Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2012, 7:50 am

are they unconftable to wear?
i am sensitive to lights like the ones in supermarkets and when its realy sunny.

on the bus i had to have the 3DS right infront of my eyes until the bus turned.

would it look silly wearing sunglasses?

i mean i am intrested in what kind of sunglasses would reduce meltdown due to senstive ness , like if any that anyone recomends? that dont look sillly to wear ?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 8:09 am

Yes, I recommend them, but I think you have to try it for yourself to see if it helps you.

I only wear them outside, but it might help you to wear them inside under very bright lights like what you mention, at the supermarket.

Some people block out unwanted light by wearing a hoodie and putting the hood up, or by wearing a hat with a brim or a baseball cap.

It might look a bit odd to wear them indoors, but it would be better to look odd than to have a meltdown in public.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 8:11 am

If you are indoors or outdoors when it is not sunny, dont wear them.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 8:21 am

minervx wrote:
If you are indoors, or outdoors when it is not sunny, dont wear them.
That's the social rule, yes; but there are more important things than following social rules. If I'm outdoors, it's cloudy, and it's still too bright, I'm wearing my sunglasses, forget fashion.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 8:37 am

Callista wrote:
minervx wrote:
That's the social rule, yes; but there are more important things than following social rules. If I'm outdoors, it's cloudy, and it's still too bright, I'm wearing my sunglasses, forget fashion.

In a supermarket or on a bus I think that social rule goes out the window (the least classiest places in the world). In a cafe/restaurant/library/office/other establishment you might be required to take off a hat though. Maybe you could get a pair of glasses that are only semi tinted instead of full tinted? The main problem with sunnies indoors in places like shops is the security factor, notthing to do with a social rule at all; sunnies disguise part of your face and make facial identification difficult (store security would assume you're wearing them to intentionally diguise yourself so you can commit crime). Then again people could always steal things by putting them in their cap so....

I've spent the last two weeks wearing a cap and even walked into a upper class dept store wearing it and nobody looked at me twice.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2012, 8:39 am

When people question my wearing sunglasses at times that seem inappropriate to them, I will say "Is it light outside? That's all it takes." :)

keira
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

Bright light hurts my eyes and my head and sometimes leads to a migraine, so I don't care much about looking silly. I wear sunglasses whenever I feel it's needed, even in winter if it's sunny.
I have really dark ones but you should try to find what helps you most. Also I'd advise to invest in a pair of really good ones with good UV protection, so you don't damage your eyes if you are to wear them often.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 10:01 am

An issue with polarized sunglasses is that they can cause LCD screens to black out when held at a certain angle.

You might consider the option of getting lenses that automatically darken in bright light.

http://www.transitions.com

Transitions everyday lenses can help you through your busy day. These dynamic eyeglass lenses are designed to be worn indoors and to automatically adapt when outdoors to give you a more comfortable viewing experience while providing eye protection from damaging UV light.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

Honestly, most look silly to wear IMO (or at least I look silly in them for whatever reason) but I use them sometimes.

There are days when I can't even tolerate the light inside of my own house, and using them for going out on those days is a lifesaver. Sometimes I even wear them while doing homework, the only issue is that I can't really see my calculator screen.

Maybe different shades would wok for you, a lighter grayish kind of lens so they don't look as weird.

HDTV...

Whatever.

melvin-z
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

Flourescent lights make my head ache, and I find places like shopping malls and grocery stores stressful enough without the added pain from the lighting. I have a pair of pale purple sunglasses that work really well for me. Not dark enough that I look odd or underhanded, but they cut the glare enough that I can focus on what's necessary.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 10:28 am

Callista wrote:
minervx wrote:

Same, the clouds even bother me more than the sun and I get REALLY agitated by it.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 11:37 am

Fortunately, I have transistions lenses for indoors/outdoors. But I wear polarizing sunglasses outdoors, even on cloudy days.
I'm extremely light sensitive, as discussed on another post relating to this issue. In fact, its my WORST sensitivity.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

I wear corrective lenses, and I've been wearing transitions since middle school. They are a lifesaver, esp. here in Laramie, because the sunlight is a lot stronger and has more UV rays due to the high altitude. (Less air to get in the way :P) This makes going out in bright sunlight without protective lenses a lot more harmful... but on the flipside, it means that the transitions lenses work much better. Mine will change to dark even on cloudy days.

The only issue I have with them is that extreme temperatures tend to affect the photosensitivity of the lenses. Here in Laramie it's not uncommon to get sub-freezing temperatures at least for 4-5 months out of the year, even when the sun is out. I've noticed that the lenses will be much darker in colder temperatures, which is good because it helps keep out the reflected glare if there's snow or ice on the ground (which there usually is). The issue, however, is that when I walk inside, the lenses take anywhere from 10-20 minutes to change, as opposed to the 2 minutes in normal conditions. This means that I'm practically blind until I can find a lightswitch, because with the lights off in my house I can't see anything with sunglasses on. Course, the fact that the ONE WINDOW in my room faces toward the garage and as a result gets barely any light probably is part of the problem.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 12:35 pm

Foster Grants are the most comfortable I have found at a reasonable price. Not only do they make it easier to function around people, they keep the pesky UV rays at bay. Just be sure it says somewhere on them they have UV protection. I like polarized better than non. They enable sharper vision.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 1:27 pm

minervx wrote:
If you are indoors or outdoors when it is not sunny, dont wear them.

I wear sunglasses whenever I leave the house if it is light out. It doesn't matter to me what time of year it is. I even wear them in the rain. I feel more comfortable going out with my eyes covered.

The only time I ever had anyone request that I take them off was once when I was buying or turning in a lottery ticket and they couldn't tell if I was 18 with them on.

I have one of those cute hats with a face and ears (mine is a raccoon) and that gets a lot more stares than my wearing sunglasses when not "appropriate".

questor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

Yes, I agree with the other posters. Get polarized, UV sunglasses, and do wear them both indoors and out, as needed. And you might want to consider transition type lenses that darken and lighten, as needed.

I wear prescription glasses that darken in bright light. I also have a pair of bifocals, for near and intermediate distance that I use at my computer, or for watching TV. My main pair is for driving, and are trifocals--far, intermediate, and near distances.

After my mother had cataract surgery, she needed to wear those large, extremely dark, almost squarish protective sunglasses when going out.

If anyone asks you why you are wearing sunglasses indoors, just tell them the truth--your eyes are very light sensitive. You have the right to protect your eyes from bright lights, and it doesn't matter what other people think about it, as far as style goes. Remember, pain is never in style, so go and get some nice shades!