Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

herejezus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

A medicine to threat autism..Who knows more about it? I read somewhere, that you can get the medication in 2013...

Google for more information (can not post a link)

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

funny only thing I got so far is "for the Treatment of Irritability and Aggression"

First page Found on it

Will take ages to look into the drug.

I will just sum it up, only treatment for autism would need a nanobot that was programmed to re-wire the brain. Or maybe genetic modification stimulation ( which I just stuck together coz it sounded good).

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 10:31 am

From the link

Quote:
There are currently no medications approved for the treatment of irritable behavior in people who have fragile X syndrome.

It is mentioned further down that
Quote:
The most common side effect reported by people taking baclofen (the less active approved version of STX209) is drowsiness.

I didn't look further than that (because all kinds of sites just mention fragile X, not autism) but from that it sounds as if this drug is merely in the process for official approval.

What I mean (an example): there were no stimulants approved for the treatment of ADHD in adults in Germany until 2011.

That didn't mean there weren't lots of such meds for ADHD available for prescription, they just weren't approved for anyone with ADHD above the age of 18 because there few studies that proved what common sense suspected long ago; that stimulants work for an 18+yo in pretty much the same way as they do for an 17,9yo and won't poison anyone or cause anyone to drop dead simply because they passed their 18th birthday. (That's the simplified version.)

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 10:47 am

Sora wrote:
I didn't look further than that (because all kinds of sites just mention fragile X, not autism) but from that it sounds as if this drug is merely in the process for official approval.

Would have to agree sora, don't think anyone who is on the study would be able to comment anyway if they sign things like a "NDA" for games that are in alpha / beta.

herejezus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2012, 11:05 am

Tis medicine bring the autistic brain in balans...Thats what i read on other pages.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 11:20 am

About STX209:

Quote:
STX209 is an oral selective gamma-amino butyric acid type B (GABA-B) receptor agonist. Pathologies observed in certain neurodevelopmental disorders, including fragile X syndrome (FXS) and autism spectrum disorders (ASD), are believed to be caused by excessive activation of glutamate receptors and abnormally high ratios of excitatory to inhibitory neurotransmission in the brain. GABA-B receptors play an important role in modulating the release of glutamate and optimizing the ratio of excitatory to inhibitory neurotransmission. STX209 has demonstrated efficacy in preclinical models, suggesting that it may improve function in individuals with FXS and ASD.

It seems the curebies may be making progress. What next, mandatory treatments?

(Note that the article is from a business journal, and not a medical one.)

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

herejezus wrote:
Tis medicine bring the autistic brain in balans...Thats what i read on other pages.

you mean this that I found on worldpress? Do you not have the link? be allot easyier

Quote:
STX209 (or arbaclofen), which alters neurotransmitter balance (as does MPEP), is now being tested in a double blind clinical trial of patients with fragile X. In an open label study on children with autism, Seaside reported last fall that STX209 diminishes social withdrawal, irritability and tantrums.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 11:47 am

You know this has made the most sense out of all of it.

Quote:
from a trial of arbaclofen to combat a specific form of autism linked with fragile X syndrome, which causes mental impairment.

But still only on pittsreport.com.

herejezus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2012, 11:57 am

Well, i read it on a dutch website: http://www.scientias.nl/medicijn-brengt ... lans/16000 maybe you can translate it?

It says that "Arbaclofen" handle with the problem in the autistic brains. It brings the chemical stuff in autistic brains in balans. People with autism produce to much glutamic acid and too little gamma-aminobutyric acid.

And more...

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

herejezus wrote:
Well, i read it on a dutch website: http://www.scientias.nl/medicijn-brengt ... lans/16000 maybe you can translate it?

Yes I am amazing at tranlasting dutch to english, called past the web address into google & click translate this page lol

I can not access the reseach as you need a subscription, that I don't really want to sign up to. Its going through the 3rd trial I see. So could only treat ones who actually have a certain problem. Mind you it's only 150 people I like bigger tests really.