Page 7 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Minty33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 9:12 am

BrokenBill wrote:
Minty33 wrote:
This sounds amazing, but expensive..?

I just paid $130.00au for three premium shaving brushes and two chromed stands, all new.
Old razors are a dime a dozen. the better the condition the more you'll pay on the open market.
However if you place an advert in the local free newspaper, the one the older folks read every week. Offering cash for old razors.
Be prepared for a heap of replies or calls.
My favorite razor cost me five bucks plus replating.

I've sold a couple to gain cash for a high cost item but generally like to collect the different month/year models.
I make a rule that I use each item and it doesn't just sit in a display case. All my razors are used.
A US company, Razor Emporium will recondition and re-plate most brass based razors at a reasonable cost Here
Cut throat razors are another collectible, but my hand isn't steady enough to trust against my jugular.

I collect center pin and rolling pin fishing reels too, the same rule applies. They are used for their intended purpose.

I enjoy the skill it takes to complete a task using old school implements.
A phrase comes to mind....
Its not the destination, but the journey.

Old school is cool. 8)

That sounds great! I know what you mean about old school. Things were just so ..classy back then. Old razors are one the main things I think of when it comes to the past (not sure why razors specifically..)

Doesn't reconditioning them sort of detract from the original beauty? Or do you prefer to restore them to their original beauty? Or do you have different rules depending on its age?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:45 pm

There's a lotta decent new razors out now. While I enjoy DE shaving and have it as a hobby (I own two brushes and soap) I usually just treat my DE like any other razor. Put Barbasol on, 2 pass, done.

For some really cheap razors...
Dorco PL-602, like $4, all plastic, feels a bit like a disposable, might be good as an intro razor. Little aggressive blade angle for my taste.

Rimei, Chinese razor, like $5, built quite nice, all metal. Pretty mild.

Weishi 9306, heavier razor (not extremely, though), about $15. Very mild smooth shaver. I believe a mild razor is the easiest transition from cartridges.

For a bit more money for a mild razor, the Feather Popular. Like $15-25. Japanese razor, supposedly very mild.

The Lord L6 is Egyptian, about $10. Gillette Tech clone. Very highly regarded.

Even an older Gillette Superspeed or Tech doesn't really run much more than 10-20 for a user grade one (not shiny, but works.) A good place to find one is on badgerandblade.com classifieds.

Most people with double edge shaving turn it into some giant expensive hobby, but there's no need to. The reason the razors are still being made is because people in third world countries can't afford the new cartridge razors. Blades for most brands run about 10-15c per blade. I've had good luck with Astra blades, Gillette manufactured in Russia. So generally you buy a box of a hundred blades for like $13 shipped, and you got enough to last a year of shaving. You can get away with using your normal cream and whatnot, or you can try soap. Walmart sells decent shave soap for like 1.50 a puck.

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2013, 12:43 am

Ugh I hate shaving. The feeling of a razor across my face is terrible, and daily maintenance? No thank you. I just take the clippers to my whole face/head once a week or so and call it good.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Jan 2013, 2:26 am

I do! I do! Ugh!

The only thing I hate more than shaving is not shaving for a while and having hairy legs itching me all the time. :lol:

CftxP
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2013, 2:38 am

I've never liked shaving, it's such a pain when your school forbids what they considered an "overgrowth" of facial hair and you don't have a religious purpose for being able to grow a beard. But looking up on some possible styles of facial hair, I found this one style that I liked since it doesn't look too dirty but at the same time, it's kind of scruffy. Grown my scruffy beard for almost a week now and it's not looking half bad, especially since it's not actually a beard but it looks like I have a permanent 5 o' clock shadow. :p

Sadly, I'll have to probably shave it on Wednesday so that I don't have too much facial hair next Tuesday for my second day of class. College is gonna strange indeed. :3

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2013, 8:35 am

Minty33 wrote:
Doesn't reconditioning them sort of detract from the original beauty? Or do you prefer to restore them to their original beauty? Or do you have different rules depending on its age?

Varies, if it's a razor I like and intend to use a lot, I'll replate in rhodium as the finish doesn't tarnish too much. If it's just an average razor I might replate in the original nickel.

You are very likely an Aspie

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 9:19 am

CftxP wrote:
your school forbids what they considered an "overgrowth" of facial hair and you don't have a religious purpose for being able to grow a beard.

Is that really true? A school/college forbids certain ways of growing facial hair? Sounds like an unnecessary restriction of personal freedom to me. Isn't it violating your rights? Maybe you should start your own religion to grow your beard the way you want.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 1:51 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I do! I do! Ugh!

The only thing I hate more than shaving is not shaving for a while and having hairy legs itching me all the time. :lol:

Same issue here.

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2013, 2:16 pm

Hehe.

I don't like shaving, primarily because it's a waste of time. I only shave when I see my boyfriend (every 2 months or so).

CrazyRatLady
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2013, 3:21 pm

I hate shaving! We girls are expected to shave EVERYTHING, it takes up so much time! And I'm so clumsy, I always miss a spot, which I will then continue to obsessively pick and touch. I don't really get cut all that often, and when I do I don't mind it much - often I don't even notice. I just don't shave my legs unless I have to (in summer I usually shave them every other day), and when I have to I often also shave my arms because I'm hairy, I just shave under my arms and in the bikini area, both for hygiene. I really don't see why I would shave my legs in winter, leg hair isn't unhygienic, and if nobody is going to see it, why bother.

On different note, I think old fashion mens razors are really pretty, especially the straight razors. I also like the look of old fashioned double edge blades, and at some point started considering shaving my legs with those, because I was SHOCKED to find out one could buy about 10 double edge blades for the price of one fancy ladies cardridge (I don't use fancy ones any more, who needs fancy *razors*?)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 3:58 pm

I hate shaving, and when I shave, I do it so thoroughly it usually takes 15 minutes. I normally shave only my face and neck, sometimes armpits and bottom parts rear and front (I'm a male).

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 4:05 pm

I hate shaving but i hate having facial hair even more.

Talk about a no win situation.

My deviant art profile

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 5:23 pm

Yes. I can't stand shaving. The main reason why I hate it so much is because I have really think mustache hair and it usually pulls the hair and hurts when I try and it's really painful. On a side note, I also can't stand stumpy mustache hair that starts to grow back right after you shave. It's so irritating that I end up picking and playing with it.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

I haven't learned to shave. I use the sort of trimmer used to cut hair to cut my facial hair (which is a little bit of fluff on my chin and a barely-noticeable moustache). I suppose I'd prefer to be clean shaven.