Need a Canadian perspective if possible

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,608
Location: Canada

30 Dec 2011, 6:33 pm

Hey everyone! I am asking for a Canadian perspective because the process could be different in other countries, but all are welcome to contribute. I want my parents to help me find a group home to move into, but I haven't the slightest idea of where to begin. Is this something that needs to be accessed through a hospital or other organization, or something people do on there own? I am not severe enough to be institutionalized, and I don't need 24/7 care, but I cannot currently live on my own (I also want the freedom to come and go since I attend university). I just don't feel like I can stay at home anymore because my meltdowns lately are so severe I believe I am killing my parents from the stress. I don't think they handle living with me much longer. Does anyone have any knowledge of how to find a group home with not-so-intrusive staff?

Diagnosed with classic Autism
AQ score= 48
PDD assessment score= 170 (severe PDD)
EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,207
Location: Somewhere

30 Dec 2011, 8:48 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge of how to find a group home with not-so-intrusive staff?

The only suggestion I can think of is to call the autism society where you live--they probably keep a list of resources for adults.

This link is for a webpage with a list of autism societies across Canada:

"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving." -- Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

Love transcends all.


User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 107
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,406
Location: Dystopia Planetia

09 Mar 2012, 2:07 am

Call the local home care office and ask to speak to an Occupational Therapist and ask her if she can direct you. A social worker will not understand your functional abilities like an OT would.