any1 wth diagnosis but feel they dont quite fit the criteria

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:01 pm

anyone here with an aspergers diagnosis feel they dont quite fit the criteria. i mean i feel i have a lot of issues aspies do but when i look at the DSM criteria i just dont fit it if anything i fit more pdd-nos

also which seems to be the opposite of many when i look at the proposed diagnostic criteria for the DSM5 i seem to fit that more than the current one for aspergers.

iv been diagnosed many things in the past starting with ADHD wehen little then a bunch of anxiety disorders then even bipolar which i doubted was accurate though lately is seems like some of the bipolar tendencies may be coming back then "suspected aspergers at 14 but no official diagnosis of asperger's till 17 almost 18"

the problem is my symptoms dont seem to consistant i can seem very aspie one day and almost neurotypical the next (well thats how i seeit i probably still appear weird to many people)

anyone else with anything similar?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 3:24 pm

Just as no two people are the same, even the same person can be somewhat different from one day to the next. You have to base your disorder diagnosis upon what is most commonly a part of yourself. I have had days when I fit more into the NT "normal", although not very often, but it does happen. My own normal is Aspie. I think that's part of why many Aspies have trouble fitting into the NT world. We can seem NT normal part of the time, and they can't understand it when we revert to our own Aspiness. I think it makes them uneasy that we can be like them, and then suddenly we are so different. Also, those differences themselves, make it difficult for us to get along, too. I think it is just a matter of the neurological wiring problems we have, sometimes have a good day, which is when we seem more NT. The rest of the time we are stuck being the local freak. It's a bummer, but I just try to make the best of my imperfect life.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm

My best guess would be that even a professional wouldn't be able to reliably tell apart PDD-NOS from AS.

TalusJumper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2012, 8:41 pm

Ravenclawgurl wrote:
anyone here with an aspergers diagnosis feel they dont quite fit the criteria. i mean i feel i have a lot of issues aspies do but when i look at the DSM criteria i just dont fit it if anything i fit more pdd-nos

I'll trade you! :)

I was given the diagnosis of PDD-NOS but I match the criteria Aspergers perfectly according to DSM-IV. Go figure. From what i have gathered, the diagnoses process varies as much as those administering the tests.

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2012, 9:35 pm

I know I fit the descriptions for both AS and PDD-NOS, but sometimes I feel like I don't autism at all. I don't know why though :?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 3:25 am

I feel similarly, as I think I fit in the criteria for AS, but the psychs who evaluated me believe that AS has a "different clinical picture", which I think isn't valid given the diversity of this group worldwide. I still have problems accepting such a vague, unrecognized, unknown, cumbersome, diverse and IMHO ugly dx as PDD-NOS that they've given to me.

How AS does this sound?

- I was afraid that I don't fulfill the 3rd group of criteria (repetitive & stereotyped behavior, narrow interests), but actually I do, according to the ADOS figures I've seen. My stims may be a bit unusual and less stereotype, though. I definitely have special interests: today I have less techie interests (English, ASD, WP) than before when my interests included astronomy, radios and radio stations, hi-fi, lamp posts, and computer programming.

- Although I had issues with speech (begin to stutter at age 8-9, never spoke much), I didn't have speech delay. I can speak quite well today, though I have the same problems that many AS folks have (thought translation takes time and effort, need for scripting, eye contact makes conversations difficult).

- My IQ is above average and I didn't have cognitive developmental delay either.

- I'm a techkie person, understand math, physics, machines, computer programming better than anything (though I ended up as an economist).

- I'm not social, never was. I only tried to listen to people and stay close to them, never fit in, preferred to play alone.

- I'm too honest, literal, can't handle relationships well, especially romantic types (total failure so far), although I've improved much at friendships during the decades...

- I have sensory issues, and although they are not severe, some of them aren't mild either.

- I have learning difficulties, especially with verbal information besides names and faces, so this may be a little off the AS stereotype which might be closer to NVLD.

I guess I ruled out almost everything that could '"define" PDD-NOS... :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 3:48 am

Yep yep, mine come and go my mother says. Even my own husband has noticed it too. I am more PDD-NOS but was given the AS label. I have been feeling for the past year I don't even have autism but my husband assures me I do.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 10:23 am

I don't know. My most severe symptoms are not official criteria according to the DSM but psychiatrists seem to think it's all related. My mind tends to get stuck on one thing for long periods and I can't really control it. I also suck socially but it doesn't seem anymore like the reason is lack of understanding. It's more having no motivation and feeling verbally awkward and inarticulate.