Yes 64%  64%  [ 30 ]
No 23%  23%  [ 11 ]
Good question 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 47

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2013, 3:30 pm

What do you think? It should depend on the family's acceptance of the spectrum and their kids acceptance of their sensory issues.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 3:33 pm

Just keep the drapes closed, and there should be no problem.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 3:34 pm

Actually, I think how children are allowed to behave in the home should be up to their parents. We wouldn't want somebody coming into our homes and making these kinds of decisions for us; we should extend others the same respect.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 3:48 pm

No. It's unhygienic and they need to adapt as early as possible. If anyone wants to be nude in their own home, they should be and live alone IMO.
I don't have children or siblings but I would certainly not appreciate it if I had and they thought it was okay to walk around naked, and it's something I would never do myself.

And what about if they have visitors? Should the child still be allowed to run around naked seeing as they're still in their own home?

Good point, Librarian, but the question was asked so I'll give my two cents just the same.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 3:48 pm

Generally speaking, yes so long as it isn't disruptive or embarassing.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 4:19 pm

What age of kids are we talking about? 4 or 5 years old? 16 or 17 years old?

I have known people where their young kids ran around in underwear at home and out in the yard. They only put on clothes when going somewhere or in the wintertime. It was a little surprising, but nothing objectionable.

If they were still doing that as teenagers, it would change things a bit.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 4:23 pm

My DD has to wear panties and something on her feet.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 5:03 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
No. It's unhygienic and they need to adapt as early as possible. If anyone wants to be nude in their own home, they should be and live alone IMO.
I don't have children or siblings but I would certainly not appreciate it if I had and they thought it was okay to walk around naked, and it's something I would never do myself.

And what about if they have visitors? Should the child still be allowed to run around naked seeing as they're still in their own home?

Good point, Librarian, but the question was asked so I'll give my two cents just the same.

This. They can go to their room and be naked in there. I wasn't allowed to be naked on my own home either.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 5:22 pm

My mom used to walk around topless. We never thought anything of it. She's German... there's just not so much of a taboo about that there. Besides, she breastfed her babies. My two sisters and I sometimes didn't wear anything at home, though it became less frequent from about six to nine years old, and by ten we had stopped entirely. My sister and I also shared a bathtub sometimes, up til our pre-teens.

Whether a kid can run around minus clothes is really a cultural thing. In some places (warm places, naturally), kids practically never wear clothes at all.

I think this is a really, really minor thing. If a child hates clothing, they might need to learn to wear it outside the house, but at home, there's no reason not to go nude provided the blinds are down. Maybe it's different with teens and adults. I know my sisters and I started becoming more modest as we got older, and by puberty we wore clothes at all times outside our rooms. Still--pick your battles. Do you want a naked child who's happy and relaxed, or a clothed child who can't think well enough to keep his head together, let alone learn anything useful?

The fact that clothes are expected outside the home does mean that you're going to have to figure out the sensory issues related to clothes. Forcing the kid to wear clothes is not the solution. Finding clothes that feel okay is the only reasonable way to go about getting a sensitive child to wear clothes.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2013, 5:44 pm

eric76 wrote:

I have known people where their young kids ran around in underwear at home and out in the yard. They only put on clothes when going somewhere or in the wintertime. It was a little surprising, but nothing objectionable.

i'm talking about 10 or under

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2013, 5:44 pm

Skilpadde wrote:

what about with the drapes closed? what if they're sensitive to clothes not matter what you try to do?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 6:04 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
eric76 wrote:

i'm talking about 10 or under

I can't imagine the objection, then, on the spectrum or not.

One thing that would surprise most Americans is the Finnish saunas. As a young woman from Finland told me, they are so hot that it would be dangerous to wear clothes in there so everyone goes in the sauna naked. They sit there until really hot and then run out and roll in the snow and then go back into the sauna.

According to her, the whole family goes into the sauna together -- that it is not unusual for everyone from little kids through grandparents. And in public saunas, it is all ages as well but not necessarily related or even people who know each other.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 6:13 pm

EVERYONE should be able to go naked in their own home. As far as hygeine, just do as they do at nudist resorts and always plop down a towel before sitting.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm

my parents let me when i was younger and i wasnt diagnosed till last year

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2013, 6:53 pm

Yes! At least in some areas of the house (their bedroom, the bathroom). Sometimes even wearing my skin is hard to handle!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 6:55 pm

when i was really young, about 2 or 3, i would walk around completely nude at my Cousins house.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com