Middle school/High school (age 13-18) 24%  24%  [ 21 ]
College (age 19-22) 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Young Adult (20's) 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
Adult (30+) 28%  28%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 88

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

20 Mar 2012, 3:59 pm

When did I discover it?

When I was diagnosed.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 5:03 pm

I don't know what elementary school is. Nor middle school. College starts at 16 where I come from and an adult is 18. Other than that the labels seem somewhat superfluous.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 5:14 pm

Just after I turned 17. I wish I had known when I was 12-16, but I think the worst of it is behind me now.

Crysisrocks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2012, 7:35 pm

I was 9 years old when I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, by a professional psychiatrist.

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2012, 9:59 pm

A social worker suggested aspergers to my mom when I was 10, and I was diagnosed that summer by a pediatric psychiatrist.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:13 am

I don't know how to answer this. I discovered it when I was 18, december, but got convinced I didn't have it. Now that I am 19 about a year later I am for sure I have it. So 18 or 19, which are 2 different pole options, but I guess it would be 18

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 3:20 am

knew about it at age 10-11 (2006), diagnosed at 13.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 4:08 am

Mom told me when I was 12.

AugustX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

Even though I actually was diagnosed at 10, it wasn't until I reached 14-15 that I discovered it.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2012, 5:51 pm

My mom (who studied psychology for a long time) diagnosed me when I was in about 1st grade but never told me, I diagnosed myself in 3rd grade but never told anyone, and my (professional) psychologist diagnosed me about 6 months after I diagnosed myself, but only told my mom. I later found the paperwork for it on a teachers desk and made a copy, so I knew about the official. It wasnt until a few days ago that I got to talking to my mom and she realized that I knew that she and a bunch of others as well as myself knew. Very confusing how it all worked out.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 6:31 pm

Kiseki wrote:
I'm curious what my life might have been like had I not slipped under the radar. As it is now, I am a 32 yr. old female and I basically just come off as weird and quirky.

If its any consolation, if you were born before 1980 there was zero chance of it being recognised by your school.. There wasn't even diagnostic criteria until 1989 and not included within the dsm till 1994 (year I left school), it would have taken some exceptional luck for anyone to notice and apply it to you, much less know how to help you.

That actually gives me some comfort.. If was not missed.

Jason.

Blackholesun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2012, 6:33 pm

38. I find it reassuring that many others seem to have been diagnosed late also.

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2012, 7:02 pm

I didn't notice so much myself until just over a year ago when I finally managed to get a friend close enough to know me very well. She said to me she thought I might have it and only then, and after a period of reading about it, it finally clicked to me. I was 20, turning 21. I haven't been told by a professional yet, but my first appointment is in April. I'm glad she came out with her observation.

Dreamslost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2012, 7:23 pm

Looking at the pie chart of one of the tests i can see why i was missed one part of me is almost a normal, but not officially diagnosed till today 3/21, but had all the signs, some diagnosed different by parents. I was clumsy by them so got piano lessons, all those things obvious they dealt with but the social. control freak german step father who wanted 0 emotions was no help so the rest of what is seen now, was not when i was younger but most of those things relating to social interaction i never got. In short, many of those things that make life miserable for an aspie are still part of my life because unrecognised or diagnosed till now :cry: and you see my age... I think my school district could see i had problems but it was way outside schools of the 60s to know how to deal with it.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 11:06 am

I discovered that I have AS June 2003, but had an idea that I had it back in 1988 when I was 22. When I was found out to have Asperger syndrome I also realised the prejudice and bigotry that I was subjected to was aspiphobia. :arrow:

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 6:58 pm

Jtuk wrote:
Kiseki wrote:
I'm curious what my life might have been like had I not slipped under the radar. As it is now, I am a 32 yr. old female and I basically just come off as weird and quirky.

If its any consolation, if you were born before 1980 there was zero chance of it being recognised by your school.. There wasn't even diagnostic criteria until 1989 and not included within the dsm till 1994 (year I left school), it would have taken some exceptional luck for anyone to notice and apply it to you, much less know how to help you.

That actually gives me some comfort.. If was not missed.

Jason.

That's what I imagine. My parents actually took me to some neurologists when I was a kid cuz I had pretty bad tics. The doctors said I probably had Tourette's but weren't completely sure. Also Johns Jopkins Medical did some sort of testing at my elementary school and I remember them being worried about me. They said it wasn't normal for an 8-year-old to have the kind of fears and anxiety that I did.

Of course my parents just thought I was "different from my brothers" :roll: